Old 11-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch View Post
That's .74 cents the oil company doesnt have of yours!
Alas, the oil company got the same amount. It's the local station that has $0.74 less.

DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We have a different issue living where we do, 11 miles north of the US/Canada border.

A block from my home the price for regular gas is $1.169 per liter

11 miles from my home the price for regular gas works out to $0.76 per liter

A difference of 40.9 cents per liter

We have Nexus which allows us to pass through Customs quickly and without the line-ups that non- registered people "enjoy", so we are not using fuel up that way, just in the 22 miles round trip.

For that, we make the trip to Blaine, Wa or a two miles further south for our fuel.

We also do the vast majority of our travel south of the border as it is far more cost effective.

That said, I won't wait in a line up for two or three cents. Our time is far too valuable, and the idling while waiting uses fuel. I find the other stations to be usually cleaner, and I do not enjoy spending my time in a line up that can easily be avoided.

The cost of fuel does not stop us from going camping or travel of any kind. We have a budget we work in and if that means we eat fewer restaurant meals then that is easy to do, and often more enjoyable anyway. To us experiencing the world and people around us is far more important thant he cost of fuel (egads, I hope no one who sets fuel prices sees this).

Old 11-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up Gas Prices; Does it really matter?

One thing about the fuel prices, if you want to play, you pay. One thing we do is to buy branded gas that does not use oil from the Middle East. I usually buy Phillips/Conoco, and seem to get better mileage on these.
KMP
Old 11-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #18
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpro View Post
. One thing we do is to buy branded gas that does not use oil from the Middle East. I usually buy Phillips/Conoco

KMP
That sounds good, but I think you might want to research that for current figures. Also check the web sites that evaluate facts vs myths.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
What sort of Lincoln do you have that needs Super? You could save more than the cost of using your credit card by using mid-grade, and double that savings by using Regular. (Assuming you don't have the song's Hot Rod Lincoln.)
Hi, as in my signature below, I have a 2000 Lincoln Navigator and it requires premium fuel. If I were to try and use a lower grade of fuel, [which I haven't] the knock sensors would retard my timing, and it would burn more gas at a lower horsepower. Net gain = zero.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I will drive right by any 2 price gas station as a matter of principle, which costs me more in time and fuel, but makes me feel good.

The other aspect of this is: How far will you drive to save on gas?

If I drive to the other side of town, I can save 10 cents per gallon. It is about 10 miles extra round trip compared to where I usually fill up. When I fill the truck it takes about 25 gallons. So I save about $2.50. However it takes about 1/2 gallon of fuel to go over there and back. So that's about $1.50 of the savings gone. This whole process burns about 1/2 hour. So I end up working for $2.00 per hour. I am just not that hard up yet.

On the other note, I have not yet had fuel prices influence where or when I go on vacations, nor do I shop fuel prices when I travel unless it is a question of one side of the street or the other.
Hi, I tried the gas is cheaper out of town once in my wife's car; Did the math and my gain was zero. I like to find cheaper gas, but I will not use what I call the "NO-NAMES" Arco, Costco, any market, Etc. On trips I buy my gas as needed, try to buy it while un-hitched, and if I can make across the California border into Arizona, I know I will save a bundle.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
But 70 years ago, cars burned twice as much gas per mile as most cars do now. Thus, one hour's work will now pay for gasoline to travel more than 2 1/2 times as far as it would have 70 years ago.

Except that 70 years ago the majority of Americans traveled via public transport, most did not NEED cars. A consortium of gas, tire and auto companies conspired to buy most rail systems out (and rip up the rails as the final insult), were convicted of same and fined a meaningless, miniscule amount.

The average American family now faces transportation costs at above 17% of income, the highest since records were first kept in the early 1950's.

And, since the entire Defense Dept budget (and some others) needs to be factored into the cost of that subsidized gasoline, the real cost is far, far higher.

"Peak Oil" occurred in the United States in 1970. The cost is in no way congruent with pump price, now.

(And if the minimum wage had kept pace with inflation, the cost of living and productivity (since 1968) it would now be $16/hr).

The "true" cost of gasoline is at least double the pump price.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
I don't mind paying a reasonable price for something but I resent being ripped off. Where I live on the peninsula fuel has to be trucked about 100 miles, the excuse for higher prices. I live between two of the larger cities, Sequim and Port Angeles. To reach Port Angeles you have to go through Sequim. It seems to go through cycles of 2 or 3 months that fuel in Sequim will be cheaper by sometimes as much as 30 cents a gallon. Then strangely the next few months it will be 30 cents a gallon less in Port Angeles. To me this is just a game with Joe Public picking up the tab.

I once spoke to the guy at the grocery chain fuel station and he told me every day on the way to work he had to check the prices at the two nearest stations and report them to their headquarters. They then could receive an email at anytime to raise or lower prices.

Yes I price shop fuel and the only problem was many years ago I put 115 gallons in my boat at a marine fuel dock and it came premixed with about 5 gallons of water. Never had a problem in anything with rubber tires.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
All I have to say is....does it matter?.......Nope, don't care. When I gotta go, I gotta go!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Get 5% discount every day at any gas station if you use a Pen Fed credit card.

5% discount is a whole lot better than a few cents on the gallon.

https://online8.penfed.org
Old 11-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
fuel costs

Almost 40 years ago, the club did a survey about fuel prices.

The question was, "How much would you be willing to pay for gas, before you would quit Airstreaming".

Surprisingly, the answer was $5.00, per US gallon.

So, gas has never reached that price, and motor vehicles get at least double the mileage than the 40 year old vehicles.

What's to talk about????

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #26
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up Gas Prices; Does it really matter?

About 50 years ago when cars did not get good fuel mileage, the was an inventor named Fish who invented a carburetor that virtually doubled fuel mileage. I remember seeing an ad once in the auto mags for this and the next thing I heard GM bought the patents and design and consumers never saw it. Back then, the big 3 controlled the automotive market enough to do such as this. Where are these inventors today? We need some fresh thinking in the automotive world methinks.
KMP
Old 11-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpro View Post
About 50 years ago when cars did not get good fuel mileage, the was an inventor named Fish who invented a carburetor that virtually doubled fuel mileage. I remember seeing an ad once in the auto mags for this and the next thing I heard GM bought the patents and design and consumers never saw it. Back then, the big 3 controlled the automotive market enough to do such as this. Where are these inventors today? We need some fresh thinking in the automotive world methinks.
KMP
Virtually doubled, as in the doubling was imaginary rather than real?

Look in the back of car and truck mags, you'll find all manner of magnets and air vanes, hydrogen "generators" and other snake-oil to lighten your wallet in the pursuit of vast improvements in fuel mileage. I've never seen any that controlled testing suggests really work.
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
There is a summary of several of the "carburetor" stories here:

snopes.com: Miracle Carburetor

Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote