Old 04-11-2004, 09:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Additional thought; on this same Arbor, I have climbing a huge, winding vine of Honey Suckles. This plant has been a consistent performer~!!
I have honeysuckle and jasmine in other areas. I love purple though, and am (obviously) desperate for the wisteria blooms.

I will whack it back hard early this fall and stab its roots while I'm at it. Do you think it needs to be hit with a chain? I know people who've done that to get fruit trees to bear.

Old 04-12-2004, 06:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie G
I have honeysuckle and jasmine in other areas. I love purple though, and am (obviously) desperate for the wisteria blooms.

I will whack it back hard early this fall and stab its roots while I'm at it. Do you think it needs to be hit with a chain? I know people who've done that to get fruit trees to bear.
Whooa, not unless you think it'll make "you" feel better...lol
Try this at Fall; Instead of heavy prunning, do it lightly. Lookout for the signs of next years's flower buds and take a stab at the roots.

Just curious, how big around is your wisteria? I have several additional wisteria species from the Oriental (Japan and China) and, neither of these have grown to the massive proportions compared to the "purple" one.
Btw, the ones from the Oriental also climb opposite from each other.

It's amazing to me..to what extend we'll go to try and force these things to flower when, last Spring I was driving down the Eastrern Shores and saw a mess of these vines growing wild in the median strip..loaded with heavey blooms. Go figure`~
I will be checking those Wisteria out this coming weekend as I'm planning on driving down that way again and, attending the "Tidewater Rally" at Va. Beach.
ciao
53FC

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:25 AM   #17
Past Prez.NEU/Membership

2005 34' Classic
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
O.K......ive seen all these pretty pictures....now it is time for you folks to come clean.... its now gardening nightmare time, as we all know , not evryone starts out with a green thumb..... and ill be the first to start this thread... some years ago i took an interest in growing herbs....one of the herbs i bought was a dastardly plant called lemon balm...it got established and became sooo invasive and spread everywhere... i even heard neighbors cursing who ever the person was that planted it it encroaches everywhere... and is hardy to -20 F...its makes a nice tea and even sells at the health food store for about 3 bucks an ounce... a plant that is not wanted is always a WEED......tell me about yours...
norby

Norbert,

The best bet is too either dig up your plant and put it in a large pot to keep it contained, or dig a trench around your plant and put a plastic edging below the ground to prevent the roots from spreading.

Subscribe to Birds & Bloom magazine, they have a lot of great gardening tips. Plus beautiful pictures to look at and dream about.

Good luck,
Gail
2004 Yukon Denali
, 2016 GMC 2500 Denali-Duramax Diesel
WBCCI #2905-NEU

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
True to its nature....

... and not content to hijack all available growing space, wisteria has now colonized cyberspace and taken over the "disaster" thread. But at the risk of raising the wrath of the resident wisteria (... could threads & tendrils of cyberWisteria take down a whole Web site unless very sturdily built?) this is my disaster story for which the scab is still tender: Four years ago, I rototilled & fertilized two 150-by-4-foot beds, then planted and shoveled dirt over $3,000 worth of tulip bulbs (and that was at wholesale prices) in two long borders out back. Exactly how many bulbs, I don't remember--it's the frightening dollar amount that sticks in my mind). The next spring we had some freak monsoon on top of frozen ground, causing extensive flooding that didn't dissipate for WEEKS. Every single tulip bulb rotted. Somewhat daunted but determined to throw good money after bad, I built up the beds several inches and tried again the next fall with pretty much the same amount of tulips. The next spring it flooded even worse. That one was supposedly a "30-year flood."

If your gardening budget is only $4,000 a year to start with, having most of it rot in the ground two years running is a real killer ... I'll take rampant horseradish over that anytime.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:48 PM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Have you considered Kudzu? I am sure Aaron (wahoonc) would be happy to send you some!
Terry
Terry,
Kudzu won't survive that far north...the below zero temps in the winter kill the roots BTW I know how to get rid of Kudzu and it doesn't require chemicals or pyromania

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:06 PM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Terry,
Kudzu won't survive that far north...the below zero temps in the winter kill the roots BTW I know how to get rid of Kudzu and it doesn't require chemicals or pyromania

Aaron
Oh, well. I was trying to help you get rid of the mid-south's number one non-cash crop.
Terry
Old 04-12-2004, 05:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Oh, well. I was trying to help you get rid of the mid-south's number one non-cash crop.
Terry
Not true! Kudzu is now a cash crop. My sister bought some kudzu jelly in MS on her way from here to TX.

Of course, it doesn't taste like much.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:13 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
hey....ill bet that jelly goes well with spanish pony....

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
I'm afraid to ask. Well, against my better judgement...

Norby, what is spanish pony?
Old 04-12-2004, 06:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
well..just joking...i had an old friend who used to refer to tough meat as spanish pony...which he always said tongue in cheek...never really told me what he was talking about. i can only surmize he meant donkey or mule...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:36 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Oh. ouch. $8,000 worth of tulips demolished- oh and I thought some of my disasters were bad. But the rest of your garden is really beautiful! Sounds like you have drainage problems. you might want to keep clear plastic on the beds for monsoons then move to remay. ouch ouch ouch, All those pretty tulips. a sympathetic gardening groan to you summerkid, silver suz (not enough chill here for tulips unless you want to do annuals.)