Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Garage Door Size for Airstream

Hi,

I am designing a new garage that will attach to our home.
I'd like to be able to put our 69 Caravel in it.
I'm trying to gauge what size the door should be.
It is either 9' or 10'.... hard to measure.
Has anyone ever done this? If so, what size of door do you have.
I am hoping it is 9'....as I think a 10' door would look to industrial.

thanks in advance,

Julison
Julison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I think you'll be looking at 11' for clearance... with roof top air most Airstreams are around 10'6"...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Julison,

My feeling is as large an opening as you can make.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julison View Post
Hi,

I am designing a new garage that will attach to our home.
I'd like to be able to put our 69 Caravel in it.
I'm trying to gauge what size the door should be.
It is either 9' or 10'.... hard to measure.
Has anyone ever done this? If so, what size of door do you have.
I am hoping it is 9'....as I think a 10' door would look to industrial.

thanks in advance,

Julison
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I'm an engineer, not an architect, so take this for what it's worth, which may be nothing…

If it was up to me, I'd make the door opening two feet wider than the trailer at a minimum, and one foot taller than the highest fixed point of the trailer, so you have a full foot of clearance all around. Inside, I'd make the length and width of the garage at least eight feet longer and wider than the trailer, to give you a full four feet of clearance all around when the trailer's parked, to provide maintenance space. More on one side if you're going to have a workbench or storage cabinets inside the garage. You don't want to have to pull the trailer out to give yourself enough elbow room every time you do maintenance on it, and four feet all around gives plenty of working space even if the work involves lying on a roll-around creeper to get underneath.

And I'd put all of the garage lights around the perimeter of the garage, not in the center, since shining a light directly on top of the trailer puts the sides and ends in the trailer's shadow, and that's a waste of light. Fluorescent fixtures, high on the walls instead of on the ceiling, would be good, so the lights shine on the trailer, but above your head so when you're working you're not blocking your own light, either.

And I'd add a sewer line outside, with an above-ground cleanout plug right next to an exterior door, so that it's within easy reach of the parked trailer, for when you have to work on your trailer's plumbing system.

And in a perfect world, I'd make the driveway long enough that you can fit the entire tow vehicle and trailer in a straight line between the street and the closed garage door.

But then again, being an engineer and not an architect, I'd probably make it functional but ugly; that's how engineers usually do things.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Mine requires a little over 10' - not sure exactly, but about 10'4" ...

But my axles are original, so probalby sag a bit ... what if I replaced them? It'd probably get taller. And if I were to add better-ground-clearance-axles for better off-roading, then what? If I were doing it, I'd make it somewhat oversized so you can get that "new" trailer of tomorrow in there, not just the one you own today, even if it were to look a little "industrial."
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Julison, I just build my AS storage, I had a pull thru built. My doors are 10 ft wide x 12 ft high. The AS wll pass with plenty of room. All I have to worry 'bout now is watching for the truck mirrors, they fit but with just 6 inches to spare. My AS is 9ft 6 high but if I upgrade at some point I wanted the room.

Sphere
Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
This pull through is 22' wide with a 12' opening at both ends. There's 30 AMP service and lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02578.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	157123  
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
My 65 Safari is 9' 10" w/ roof air and new axle. I installed a 10' door on my barn and it works great.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0093.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	157125  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Cute little barn, Tim!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Garage Door Heights

Thanks all for your input.
I don't (currently) have ac on the top of my Caravel, so I think from what I've tried to measure and what I have seen here that I need a 10' high door at a minimum. The problem is that the garage I have designed is attached to our house so I have to try and make it fit the look as best I can. The front elevation in the dwg I have doesn't look to industrial but every garage I have seen with a 10' high door looks some what out of place for a garage on a house. I don't want to spend the money only to feel that I have a loading dock in my yard. Hmmmm.... If anyone has a picture of a 10' garage door on a garage that is attached to their home....post a pic if you don't mind.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	432215_10150585333147493_529207492_9374527_1995971487_n.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	157136  
Julison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
side opening doors

Today, most folks think roll-up door; how about a side opening door(s) with the extra 1-2 ft above on a separate hinge?
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
Today, most folks think roll-up door; how about a side opening door(s) with the extra 1-2 ft above on a separate hinge?
Rather than side-opening doors (the hinges always end up sagging and you need added clear space in front of the doors for the swing radius), you might go with with a sliding barn-style door on an external flat-track rail. You end up with a rustic look rather than industrial.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I found a few pics in the forums:
Hope they help.
Attached Images

Everyday is a Saturday
Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
It might be a good idea to go to your local door supplier to see what sizes are available, then design around standard size that fits your needs. If you go with a non-standard size your selection will most likely be limited to a few wood door styles.
Keep in mind the trailer will pivot on the axle when moved (if the hitch end goes down the rear end goes up) so you may need some extra door height if your driveway is not level.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
By the way - the pics I posted in #13 are both 10' doors. The owners said something about taking the antenna off.

Everyday is a Saturday
Old 04-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Very informative. A guy here in Lakewood, CA, built a garage for his ONB (other name brand) Class A. Blends in well with home and neighborhood. Now, that being said, not all of us have the space/lot size etc to build an oversize garage.
For those of us that want cover for the AS, does anyone have a recommendation on "RV tents" ? that work good in heat and won't tear apart in one season?

Thanks in advance

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
There are several companies that make metal carport-type covers. We have been looking at them to protect our Bambi from baking in the sun. However, since recent (forced) early retirement, we have found a better solution: In the summer, head north where it's cooler!
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarsha View Post
i would go this route too. there are many ways to set up a decorative panel. it can hang on a hook, chain or spring loaded barrel bolts mounted on the inside that are accessed when the door is open, etc., etc.....

now if money is no object you could put a zip dee awning across the top of the doors :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Go bigger than you think you need. I have a commercial building with a big overhead door. Recently, there was a hail threat, and I decided to put our Bambi inside. Visually, I thought it would be no problem. Actually, it was tight, width and height. Fortunately, the Bambi is not a wide body, or it would not fit. Plan for the future - you don't know what size your next A/S will be, but it will probably have a rooftop unit. You never know....
It's funny, the Bambi looks small compared to most other units, but inside a building it is HUGE.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Julison

My Airstream with air conditioner is 9' 8" high. Most new and old units, with air conditioners, are roughly similar in height.

In talking to builders and overhead door companies be sure you understand any difference between opening size and clear height. In some cases a 10' high opening may not have 10' of clearance because of door components hanging down even when the door is open.

If the approach driveway or apron is not flat some allowance should be made for the extra vertical clearance needed when the rig is tilted, although this is usually more of a problem with longer trailers. There should also be some allowance for bounce. Any pitch to the floor for drainage should be considered.

I would allow a 10' door without air conditioning and an 11' door with air conditioning.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote