Old 01-23-2005, 06:48 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Bravery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsltootsie
This is a great forum centered around a great American classic, but it appears we are not all in agreement about the man who was just inaugerated. Irregardless of how we all view this person, I know we all want what's best for our country, the world and our military. I voted against him both times, and would like it to be known here, or anywhere, because I did not think he was the best man for the job. I am religious, respect my country, our military. our environment, all life, and the rights of all people. End of subject for me.

tinsltootsie, you are a brave person and I for one truly respect what you've said here.

(This does not mean that I DIS-respect the others; some people I have had the pleasure of meeting, and liking, and others I do NOT know at all.)

Old 01-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #114

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Welcome to the forum, tinsltootsie!

Old 01-23-2005, 07:30 PM   #115
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I don't think that brave would be one of the words I would use, but again, one of the perks of living in a place where speech is (somewhat) free.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 01-23-2005, 07:39 PM   #116
3 Rivet Member

Not to misrepresent myself, but I have been on the forum under another username for about a year, but had password problems signing on in my haste to respond to these W posts. I had intended on changing usernames and have notified support to combine my posts under this new username. I hope all views on subjects introduced are welcome. I know all here have been very helpful in any problems we've had restoring our Airstream, and this has been greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:52 PM   #117

1968 17' Caravel
I thought that was pretty gutsy of you to jump in on this one for your first post I think all views are welcome.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:59 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
Term Limits are a BAD idea.
That would concentrate all the power and institutional knowledge in government staffers that don't have to run for election or answer to The People...(hell, you can't even fire a government employee except for gross negligence of some sort)... and the institutional memory of those elected to office, who have tenure and must answer to The People would be lost.
Term Limits are a BAD idea.
Get rid of the staffers. Make them get real jobs where they make something or do something useful.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:01 PM   #119
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It appears that under a different user ID, this was not tinsltootsie's first post, again brave isn't what I'd use, but censorship is one that I also I don't like either. Everyone's views should be represented, however, agreement is still optional.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 01-23-2005, 09:07 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
not brave???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I don't think that brave would be one of the words I would use, but again, one of the perks of living in a place where speech is (somewhat) free.
It IS brave to try to express your opinion in a venue where so many are attacked.

I asked a simple question a page back, and got called an idiot.

Of course the person never really specified his reasoning for saying so.. but I want to go on record as letting you all know that my IQ is not especially low.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:20 PM   #121
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo-kid1
I asked a simple question a page back, and got called an idiot.

Of course the person never really specified his reasoning for saying so.. but I want to go on record as letting you all know that my IQ is not especially low.
I assumed the person who posted the 'idiot' comment was making a general statement directed at everyone. I didn't think it made any sense coming after your question.

On another topic, quoted from the inaugural address:

"The best hope for peace in our world is the expansion of freedom in all the world."
-G.W.B. 1/20/05

(in over 2080 words, this is the only sentence in which the word peace appears)
Old 01-23-2005, 09:26 PM   #122

1968 17' Caravel
I thought the idiot comment was a little too vague to be taken personally. I think if he really wanted to call you an idiot he should have been more specific. I just wrote that one off. I think it has mostly been a very civil and interesting thread.

One interesting thing about politics is that there's not much need for discussion. Both sides are totally convinced they are right, the other side is WRONG (caps intended), and they are not about to change their minds about anything.

"I'm open-minded, but I'm not going to let it change me!"

Old 01-23-2005, 09:33 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Get rid of the staffers. Make them get real jobs where they make something or do something useful.
I believe I covered firing employees of the government in my post. It is nearly impossible to fire a government employee due to collective bargaining agreements. I don;t like it, but that is the way it is at the moment.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
Old 01-23-2005, 11:15 PM   #124
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
this thread.....

has lasted a long time....

i spend a lot of time lurking in the background, most of the posts i spend time on are more informative to me as i seek out particular information....

but, ....having said that....the "left" annoy the 'H' out of me at times....and maybe more so the "right" who are either timid or too afraid to stand up and say what is on their minds, .....

Listen,...i (as you may have guessed) am as far to the right as anyone could get on most issues...and support our military (i have 11 years active duty) 100%...i support our President about 70% because of several issues that he is not dealing with or side stepping.....

1. this Iraqi war....ok..so we have 14 of 18 areas that seem to be under some sort of order...ok...then that means we need to dedicate ourselves to the 4 trouble spots...my beef with President Bush is that he is soft handing these people...my answer....carpet bombing...alot of you guys are older then i am (36 years old)...when you fought in WW2 and Korea, lets say a city or area was presenting more of a problem then you could deal with in a timely manner...would you hold discussions with the local priests, ...no, would you hold discussions with the mayor or town council, ...no, .....you would call in artillary, and if that did not help you would call in heavy bombers and bomb all night....then that would be the most pacified city in a hurry...most of the time in war....innocent people die, sad to say but true none the less...make no mistake, ...if in the postion, ...i would order the leveling of a village, town, or city, before i lost one of my men....i would never deal with someone trying to kill my men...deal with them, ...for what they are trying to kill you....

2. this dependance on arab oil....are we fools...we have enough oil here...drill in Alaska, ...it's freezing up there, ...drill and send that oil here for us to use....then gas would be about .50 cents a gallon....better yet, release the info on a better engine or better fuel...you mean to tell me that after 100 years of gas engines, the scientist have not developed a better means of a locomotion engine and fuel to run it.....

3. the borders....close them off....completely. Activate the national guards in the border states and post men every couple of miles...fly helo's with heat sensing and night vision lenses...3000-4000 per day crossing from mexico alone...what are we stupid...close the borders..let everyone who wants to leave...just go, go back home...see your family, file your papers to come here and request a job and wait for an answer...if you stay here...no drivers license, no job, no social security, if arrested for any reason....deportation, health care that will be billed to you...no school for you or your children, no beer sales, no gun sales, no car sales, ....no airline tickets, no gas purchase, no bank accounts....nothing. go back home and develope your 3rd world country as best as you can...it will never get better if everyone keeps leaving.

4. this welfare society, no job or quit your job, 30 days of support (only once), no car, get a job, no money, get a job, no cash, get a job, ...over qualified...take it anyhow till you find something better, not enough pay per hour take it anyway till you find something better, dont like your boss stay anyway till you find something better...this idea of extending support year after year after year ....has got to stop....

5. stop sending our money overseas...stop giving it away. we owe people (God only knows how much) zillions of dollars...did you get that, the US owes other people money...the most industrialized, most powerful, most prosperous country in the world and we owe money...350 million to people who have already died in asia...ok the military is helping all they can...but that does not cost money (ok, not that much in the grand scheme of things) the ships were already at sea, the pilots were going to fly training anyhow, the medics were going to train anyhow, the material delivered was likely already on the ship anyhow....stop giving money to buy influence...if the French dont like us because were nice guys, forget about it....france is 1000 years older then the US they will be ok on their own, no money to russia...didn't we just spend 60 years at arms length...the country covers 12 time zones, thats big, alot of people, they will be alright on their own...just stop spending money...i dont need to know the scientific details of the mating rituals of mice, i don't need to know why the surface of Titan is 10* (degrees) cooler then the floor of the Mariana Trench, ...i dont need to know that robots on mars are still taking photos of a planet that no one in the next 1000 years will ever go to...so much money wasted on .....nothing. Spend the money building new schools for kids, new colleges and universities for our youth, medicine for the elderly and treatments for every disease that covers this planet...

6. oooooo, i could go on and on.....you can chime in as you wish....but now i have to go to sleep. my wife is calling for me....you'll notice that i said my wife, not my husband, not my same sex partner, not my significant other, not my girlfriend, just my wife, the most beautiful "female" in the world....a man who wants to marry a man and is not ashamed....what is this world coming too and our government wants to acknowledge this "special union", i am not sorry to say this, but a man who wants another man in a sexual way, is going against God's natural plan...and nothing good will ever come from this....

my .02 cents, .....i am expecting change.....

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
Old 01-24-2005, 12:22 AM   #125
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Hey, Lee... is Attila standing over there just to your left somewhere? <BIG grin!>

Roger
Old 01-24-2005, 12:44 AM   #126
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Hey, Lee... is Attila standing over there just to your left somewhere? <BIG grin!>

Roger
nope, ...just me being as honest as most people wish they were....

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Ben Franklin did not have airplanes flying into buildings, did not have to worry about dirty bombs, did not have to worry about his family's throats getting cut, ....listen to my phone calls if they interest you, see what i am buying with my credit cards, read my spam email, ...just whatever you do....do whatever needs to be done to protect me, my family, and my country from the monsters that roam the earth.

quotes are always nice, ...the libertarians are repeating stuff like this constantly.

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
Closed Thread