Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 05:41 AM   #491
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Now what kind of a reckless quote was that? See what distortion of the truth does? I said "not MANY" not "not ANY"... I'm in MA all the time, well if you consider 8-12 times a year all the time. From NY that pretty much is all the time. Kerry stickers -- I see them just often enough to have a laugh for myself and some time to study the rare endangered species occupying the vehicle!

Play nice...

_
__
Uh, OK, let's all start judging reality & the path to be taken by, oh, bumper stickers.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:17 AM   #492
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Again, Pork, I did say that the speed of response was a totally different issue. I have no question that the issue on speed of response was a slow. Since it sounds like you won't be back, I've PM'd you more specific thoughts.

...and Kid, you should be careful in glass houses, the Tribune is one of the biggest pro- Republican papers in the country.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 09-06-2005, 07:29 AM   #493
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Kiddo, I think you missed the (tongue in cheek) point here...

__
Hey, give kid a break, she's a Democrat working for a Republican slanted paper (Chicago Tribune, last I checked). She should work for the Sun-Times here in town, then it would cause less stress and she'd get the tongue in cheek jokes.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 09-06-2005, 08:03 AM   #494
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I would call it a mandate...I mean he won the first election, won the second election by even more than the first and more importantly he won the popular vote too. If he didn't win the popular vote the second time around, I'd say sure, you gotta point, but he did, so I don't think you do.

As for social unrest, it's just the boggie man inside of each Democrat that is filled with big brother and conspiracy theories abound.....with modern pharmacology, no one need suffer these day terrors of delusions Rog.
I'm not disputing that he won the second election. I'm disputing that he won it be enough of a margin to call it a mandate. As a matter of fact, the margin was so slim that probably should have looked at this Presidency as a 'caretaker' office.

And for the social unrest... it's not conspiracy or big brother that's the issue... history shows us over and over again that there's a point at which the distribution of wealth reaches critical mass. When there are primarily only "haves", and "have-nots" with a corresponding substantial decrease in the working "middle class" that there begins to be social unrest. As long at there is a solid working middle class who believes they can better themselves and gain wealth for themselves, we're fine. The question is at what point the "working middle class" disappearance effectively occurs, and how well this administration can juggle that issue. Further, while the "have-nots" have social programs that make their lives comfortable, they tend to be placated. When those social programs are dismantled and enough of them find themselves with nothing while the "haves" continue to become wealthier, we're headed for problems. Recognize that I'm not saying "right or wrong" here... just analyzing our current situation in a historical perspective.

It remains to be seen how this administration deals with that, but according to the events that have led up to other "wealth redistributions" in history, we may be heading down a similar path...

Roger
Old 09-06-2005, 09:47 AM   #495
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think to call the commander in chief a "caretaker" is an insult to the office, but as an American, you have that right Roger. If your convictions are so strong to not have at least a general respect for the office, then so be it, but I will still call it a mandate since he won two terms. Even when Bill was in office, I disliked Bill after his first term with a passion, however, I never belittled the office because of my convictions.

As for the social unrest, I agree in principle with the essence of your observation, however, being the in the middle class for over 20 years, I can say clearly we've had better and worse. I doubt very much it will come to the worst-case scenario, but hey if yer right, yer right and I'll gladly pay up on our little wager (though you'll have to remind me what the price or item(s) were).
Old 09-06-2005, 10:07 AM   #496
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Let me see if I follow this right. As long as some people have a lot more money than others, you get social unrest. So if some of the poorer people in Monacco, that only make, say, $10 million a year, find out that the formula drivers and so forth make 10 times what they do, look out for rioting and dissent!

At what point does one become satisfied with what one has? Can we determine a wealth floor above which people will quit paying attention to how much others have?

During the depression, several of my grandmother's siblings starved to death. People in the US on welfare today have a standard of living my grandmother could only have dreamed of back then.

So I find the wealth distribution theory offensive. It reduces us all to whining crybabies who have an obligation to take to the streets to make the government help us keep up with the Jones's.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:17 AM   #497
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Excellent point.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:59 AM   #498
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
I don't have answers to your questions. I don't know, specifically, what causes riots to break out. I don't think there's a magic trigger. Each is different. However, you tend not to see the residents of places like Del Mar in SoCal, Beverly Hills, and other affluent areas riot. Riots break out among the folks who can least afford the damage. There are, however, general social issues that can be pointed to as being in effect in an area prior to social unrest, rioting, or out and out revolution occurring. And remember, we have a history here of armed revolution. As a matter of fact, it's occurred twice since 1770, so it's not unprecedented.

Regarding the 'caretaker' comment, Eric, I was only commenting that the "mandate" that the President had was not sufficient to make sweeping social reforms with the consent of an overwhelming majority of the populace because he didn't have a overwhelming majority. He had a two-percent majority. History has shown a number of "caretaker" presidencies where the President tried to maintain the status quo rather than making sweeping changes as a result of other social forces affecting the nation at the time. There was no disrespect intended on my part to either the President or the office.

Frankly, I am not happy with many of the President's decisions, but that has to do as much with the advice he's given and the nature of I percieve as his apparent "damn the torpedos, full speed ahead" recklessness. Others percieve that quality as "determination to stay the course" or "resolve".

My comments aren't written with the same sweeping emotion that some folks post with. I try to make observations about what's occurring in our country and find historical perspective with which to frame reasonable potential outcomes. Obviously, no one has a crystal ball, and I'm not a doomsday kind of person, as Eric knows. From a historic perspective however, when many of these circumstances have converged in the past, the outcome hasn't been pretty.

Roger
Old 09-06-2005, 11:06 AM   #499
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
when you have nothing, and little education, the mob mentality is more easily ascribed to. Isn't that why the radical islamics are able to recruit so many young guys?
If they had a piece of the pie they would not be so easily led.
Sadly too many folks in our great country still look for a government hand out to pull them out of their poverty, then many "bite" the hand that feeds them and demand more and more. I see that often in my contacts with the parents at public schools.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
Old 09-06-2005, 11:15 AM   #500
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Moderator message

Warning!

Contributors to this thread be please be aware that while you are free to post your opinion here you may not post statements that directly belittle others opinions or are insulting in anyway. Several posts have been removed from this thread over the last few days and several complaints have been lodged.

Be aware that forum members often use the Karma system to express their personal opinion of a post. You may receive negative or positive karma for a post and this is an acceptable use of the Karma system. Flame wars and karma system wars or abuse should be reported and will not be tolerated.

This thread contains interesting and varied opinions and has value to this community but further personal attacks or open ridicule of other members will result in thread closure and other actions by moderators. Please review the forum policies - here is an excerpt:

Quote:
Member Etiquette:
The basic rules for discussions on the AirstreamForums.com are simple: be polite, use common sense, don't break any laws and don't post any message that hint at advertising. We don't intend to censor messages based on the opinions expressed within those posts, but we will enforce the policies outlined herein. We reserve the right to remove, modify or move posts at our discretion and without explanation. If you have any questions, please
ask us.

Forum members may use standard fonts available on the forum. The standard font size is 2. The use of bold, large or colored fonts should be used sparingly. Posts containing inappropriate formatting will be removed or modified at our discretion.

We take the "be polite" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness. Any member who is intentionally unpleasant or disruptive will receive one warning (at our discretion), and if the member offends again the member will be banned without warning.

Finally, any abuse towards our staff and/or management will result in immediate suspension of your account.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Old 09-06-2005, 11:59 AM   #501
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgZep
Let me see if I follow this right.
you're not

Quote:
As long as some people have a lot more money than others, you get social unrest. So if some of the poorer people in Monacco, that only make, say, $10 million a year, find out that the formula drivers and so forth make 10 times what they do, look out for rioting and dissent!
no. Its about the disparity between rich and poor...not rich and richer.

Quote:
At what point does one become satisfied with what one has? Can we determine a wealth floor above which people will quit paying attention to how much others have?
its not about "keeping up with the Jones'. Its about having basic need met, and having the opportunity to improve one's own economic standing. When people are doing "all the right things", and can still only move backwards, while at the same time, enormous wealth concentrates at the other end of the scale, that's when the "unrest" starts.

Quote:
During the depression, several of my grandmother's siblings starved to death. People in the US on welfare today have a standard of living my grandmother could only have dreamed of back then.
That is the sort of thing that brings about revolution. It did then, and in other times in history, heads literally rolled because of such conditions. does the phrase "let them eat cake" ring any bells?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Old 09-06-2005, 12:15 PM   #502
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Warning!

Contributors to this thread be please be aware that while you are free to post your opinion here you may not post statements that directly belittle others opinions or are insulting in anyway. Several posts have been removed from this thread over the last few days and several complaints have been lodged.

Be aware that forum members often use the Karma system to express their personal opinion of a post. You may receive negative or positive karma for a post and this is an acceptable use of the Karma system. Flame wars and karma system wars or abuse should be reported and will not be tolerated.
I agree. I have received both pos an neg karma as a result of this thread.

Bottom line, I clearly don't agree with some of what's been said here, but I am thankful that it has been allowed to continue as it is a worthwhile thread and I do enjoy hearing what my friends on the other side of the aisle are thinkin'.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #503
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Warning!

This thread contains interesting and varied opinions and has value to this community but further personal attacks or open ridicule of other members will result in thread closure and other actions by moderators. Please review the forum policies - here is an excerpt:
I think there are some stuffy, whinny, crybabies who live in a self made comfort zone and hang a big red sign out front that reads DO NOT DISTURB.
I get a kick outta making it uncomfortable.
A couple of weeks ago I got flamed and dinged relentlessly just for trying to help someone...no one stepped in then...it was a flaming match with an audience.
So I think it totally hypocritical and B.S. for someone not even involved in a thread to just pop in briefly all of a sudden and get offended to the point of slinging neg karm and play tattle tale. That goes for everyone all the way up the chain.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:50 PM   #504
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikagurl
I think there are some stuffy, whinny, crybabies who live in a self made comfort zone and hang a big red sign out front that reads DO NOT DISTURB.
I get a kick outta making it uncomfortable.
A couple of weeks ago I got flamed and dinged relentlessly just for trying to help someone...no one stepped in then...it was a flaming match with an audience.
So I think it totally hypocritical and B.S. for someone not even involved in a thread to just pop in briefly all of a sudden and get offended to the point of slinging neg karm and play tattle tale. That goes for everyone all the way up the chain.
When you joined this forum you agreed to participate in accordance with the policies set out by the owner of this forum. Please take a moment to review them in full. If you do not agree with them and do not wish to abide by them you may opt out. If you cannot abide by these policies we will help you opt out.

It is unfortunate that a handful of posters can spoil a thread for others.

Chill out!

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Closed Thread