Old 10-29-2009, 10:45 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Atl to Santa Fe, NM

Found the SOB I wanted on e-bay and flew to Santa Fe, N.M. to see/buy it. Then drove it to the outlaws place in Pinetop,Az for a visit. Finally brought it home to Atlanta, Ga. About 1900 miles on this 15 year old mh I had just met. Sure was fun and only had one flat tire on the trip. Still have that Serro Scotty Pioneer, as badly as I want an Airstream, it's still doing the job. (it's been back 'home' to Santa Fe twice since I bought it in 2006) , Regards, Craig

Old 10-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
Omaha to Buffalo, NY, and back to Omaha so some goofball could back into it then back to Jackson Center for new skin and soon, hopefully, back to Omaha. That makes it around 4000 mi. We would have gone anywhere in the country to purchase this trailer!

Old 10-29-2009, 10:56 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
Thanks Gene! It was nice to meet you!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Kind of like getting married in Vegas

Drove all afternoon and night 1000 miles from Houston to Orlando on a Craig's list find and bought her on Valentine's day. It's like getting married in Vegas on impulse love at first sight.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Furthest any of you have gone to purchase an Airstream.
What a great new thread!!

Well, I'm coming out of some closet or other here I guess. I've been kinda conflicted whether or not to admit the degree of my Aluminitus affliction. But having read some of the stories shared above, I guess I don't feel so alone now, so "out there" all by myself. That's how bad I thought my Aluminitus had become.

So, here goes ~ All in all, my best friend Gayland Stephens & I drove something in excess of 3,600 miles! From just southwest of Austin, TX, up thru Hamilton, TX (to pick up Gayland) and on north to Williston, ND (we were told some 13 miles from the Canadian border!!!) & back. There. I got it all out, and feel surprisingly good abut it, a weight off my shoulders.

I've been envious of those few who have found their dream Airstream, vintage or not, in many cases very close to their homes. But then, they wouldn't have had the personal enrichment of a cross country road trip with your best buddy. Sharing each other's up's & down's, settling all the world's social & economic problems and telling each other our favorite fishing tales (lies). Without doubt, that was the most enjoyable road trip I've ever taken.

Now, I could share some really fun tales that took place as I flew over the oceans & continents (one rather kinky), but that's for another time & place. Hopefully a campfire someday with each & every one of you wonderful folks. We have all the firewood, marshmallows, chocolate & Graham crackers. You can bring the cold beer or wine. And justa FYI, unlike Marcus, my palate can't distinguish between fine imported beer or wines. Just good ole Shiner or Château Bubba will do just fine. Marcus can perform the magic he's so famous for and smoke a side of beef.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Whit', you'll feel so much better if you tell the kinky story now. Photos?

Gene
Old 11-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Atlanta to Lake of the Ozarks, MO (1500 miles round trip)

We drove 1600 miles round trip to buy our Airstream.

I guess the tale of our first AS isn't all that different from most folks here. I found a '1971 23’ tandem axle Safari online that looked to be in really good condition with a price that was affordable. The only kink was that it was located in Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri (We're in Marietta, GA). Driving that far to look and hopefully purchase an AS seemed kind of crazy… Little did I know I wasn’t alone in my obsession.

I spent a fair amount of time looking online at a lot of AS's and found a few the same year and size as the Safari in MO, but they were advertised for a LOT more money (some were 2-3 times more than the Safari we were interested in). I also did a lot of research here on this forum to determine what I should look for good and bad with the Safari. I had my checklist!

I convinced my wonderful wife, Tara to take a road trip with me to MO (800 miles each way) and check out the Safari. She was convinced that I was going to buy it regardless of condition even though I said we had to be 100% comfortable with its condition, smell, etc... She didn't fully realize that I was serious about backing away from it if necessary until the trip back home. We had an excellent drive up to MO and spent the night outside of St. Louis. The weather was great and we had a lot of fun talking about everything as usual.

The folks selling the Safari were really nice and proved to be very accommodating, forthright and patient with us about the trailer. I followed the list I made from recommendations from many threads on this forum and went through them all. A few issues were identified that needed to be fixed or replaced, most of which they had already mentioned and a few were new. Initially, the big thing for me was the possible odor in the AS. I know that may sound crazy, but well… it was and is important to us. You never know what you will encounter when you purchase something from someone. I deal with a lot of vintage guitars (1950 and older) so I see a lot of interesting things (good and bad) in the old guitars I buy/sell and I was pretty sure the same would apply to the AS. Surprisingly, the Safari smelled fine inside and was very clean. The sellers had kept it very clean and kept it in very good condition. It seemed the previous owners had done the same. As my wife stated when we walked in the AS for the first time “It’s much cleaner than the crappy Day’s Inn we stayed in last night!”

So, after Tara and I talked it over we decided to buy the Safari. Originally I had intended to make a low ball offer then negotiate my way up to my max if necessary, but after looking over the trailer and talking with the sellers I made what I considered to be a reasonable offer and they accepted. I felt that low balling them would be something of an insult because the trailer was in such good condition. So, we hooked up Moe (our name for our Safari) to my 4Runner and headed home. This was my first time pulling an Airstream and I was a little nervous. I have pulled boats and popup trailers, but nothing this big. I was a little concerned about trailer sway and such, but the Safari seemed to be pretty darn stable behind the 4Runner all the way home. Even large 18-wheelers didn’t push it and the 4Runner around too much. Surprisingly, I didn’t have a white-knuckle drive home even though I didn’t have sway bars, which I plan to buy – not sure if I’ll buy a HA or a PP.

That was our 1600 mile trip to purchase our Moe.
pickerdd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:20 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Get the Sway Bars

or at least the hitch and load equalization bars. My newbie pull was from Orlando to Houston 1000 miles pulling my 25' TradeWind. I'm glad I made it as 18 Wheelers would do the push then pull affect on my rig. When I finally got the equalizing hitch and bars on her I could travel 70 + miles an hour and not even know what was next to me on the road. SO much better!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
RichHog,

I agree. I'll do something before we start towing it in the Spring. I've been reading over various threads on the forum and learning as much as possible in order to make the most informed buying decision.
pickerdd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
I got a Husky hitch and bars with my trailer, but there wasn't any hooks on the frame to connect it to. Looked like it had never had them so I figured the trailer didn't need them. When I finally got it hooked up I couldn't believe I had pulled it 1500 miles without them
Old 01-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
Just drove from Denver to Oklahoma City and back to get our Airstream. It was an adventure to say the least! 30 MPH winds on I-70 = GO SLOW! All in it was about 1200 miles.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
You folks make me feel normal. Our round trip was about 1300 miles, NW Arkansas to Buffalo, NY. Airstream's are like Porsche's, they are fairly rare and spread around the country. A long drive to even look at one is the norm.

Bob
Old 01-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Campbell , California
I drove about 1300 miles round trip for a truckload of Airstream parts
Old 01-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Correction:
NW Ark to Buffalo, about 2300 miles.