Old 10-29-2009, 08:51 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Alaska to Illinois and return

Eagle River, Alaska to Springfield, Illinois and return = 6500+ miles

1964 Airstream 22' Safari with side gaucho and front dinette from original owner for $4k, road trip and visits with family in Canada = Priceless

(it was uphill both ways...through the snow)

Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member
2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
We lived in Virginia and purchased in Oregon. We knew it was the right Airstream for us so we HAD to have THAT one!

Lani Pokrana
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Flew 1200 miles this past week-end on a one way ticket to drive back the next day. Purchased tow vehicle and trailer as package deal. Never stepped foot inside an airstream before, but spent allot of time on line looking! We also looked at allot of other trailer makes locally. We are definitely no the "box" type! With in 30 minutes we bought them. We spent 3 days and 1200 miles to come home, we love it and both agree it was the best thing we have ever done. We also agree it was probably the craziest (ie stupidest) thing we have done since college 25 years ago! But we would take a crappy airstream over a new plastic trailer any day!
wxbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
We live in Northern Ontario, purchased the trailer in Calgary, but in the process of making our minds up our "research" took us down to London, Ontario then down to Jackson Center, Ohio before eventually returning home to ink a deal. Distance: roughly 8,000 KM. Time Frame: about 6 months.

The more interesting part of the story though is that when we were returning from the trip to Jackson Center we had the opportunity to enjoy The Great Power Outage of 2003 - we ended up having to be rescued by relatives after running out of gas .....

Bambi - 2002 (The Toaster)
Pathfinder - 2009 (The Buggy)

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
1967 20' Globetrotter
Campbell , California
I used to be proud of my journey from Campbell, CA to Portland OR & back (about 1,350 miles) when I purchased my first Airstream '64 Safari (now Viking's). After reading this thread, I am humbled.

BTW, got lucky with my second trailer, the '67 Globetrotter - 90 mile round trip acquisition.
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #34
Rivet Master
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Talk about lucking out! I bought Toddsters Safari from him, and it was a 60 mile round trip. It did take me about 7 or 8 months to find it though.
Rich the Viking

PS. Some of you guys are a little crazy! Talk about ALUMINITIS
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #35

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Page and I drove from eastern VA to Albuquerque and back to pick up our new rig. Then we sold our "old" rig to some nice folks from western OH who came out to our place.

I think distance is not as important to most of us as is the comfort level we have with the folks we're dealing with.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member
1968 26' Overlander
London (UK) / San Francisco , London / California
This may sound a bit extreme, but I purchased our Overlander from a couple in Missouri, and I was in London (UK).

All done online, with the help of a family friend who was local to the seller.
Yomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #37
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
well, i thought we drove far but kudos to snake and safari64.

we live in the cave creek az area. my wife had been looking for a specific model, ccd, and not too old.

i came home from work one day and she annouced that she had found the perfect AS. only hitch - it was in Cape Cod, MA . apparently the AS dealers in the area didn't have what she wanted. darn internet makes this kind of search way too easy.

she finally convinced me that she wasn't completely bonkers and this was indeed what she wanted.

so I did what all happily married men do: I agreed with her .

to make sure it was really 'the one' she flew out to inspect it before we finalized the sale.

[ NOTE TO ALL: Never buy unless you see it, touch it, jump up and down inside it, etc. Just my 2c. ]

the deal was made and we drove from AZ to MA to pick it up. Round trip: about 5500 driving miles. [if you count the inspection trip its about double]

trip out: single truckin', return trip: haulin' AS.

A lot of the fun was on the trip back where we could parallel much of the old rte 66 and we got to see a lot of the country.

didn't see too many AS's however.

The best part of the deal [for me at least - altho the AS is wonderful] was that we traded in the old mini-van and I got a 2009 F-150 as an incentive - no down-side there!!

so, whether it 1 mile or 1000 or more - happy trails.

Jon & Deb
Phoebe & Ellis - Airstreaming Mini-Schauzers

I Don’t Always Pull A Trailer
But When I Do - I Pull An Airstream
Keep Moving My Friends
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #38
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Originally Posted by Lani View Post
We lived in Virginia and purchased in Oregon. We knew it was the right Airstream for us so we HAD to have THAT one!
It looks good too—I saw it this morning at JC.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #39
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
I wanna hear more about that! How far off could the truth have been from the sellers description?
I had pictures that were several years old. The seller also put me in contact with their RV service guy who I found out later lived with the owner. The trailer was in terrible shape with soft spots all over the floor, missing awning, a lot of mold and three bullet holes through the skin.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #40
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
If it were the Airstream that I really wanted then distance would no be deterant. I found my Airsteam of choice in Florida and had to go back to Virginia to make the deal, but I also had Bill Thomas in St. Louis looking for that particular unit as well. I will say that I am retired so therefore time isn't the issue it was when I was working.
Keep the shiny side up.
WBCCI # 348
Past Region 3 President
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #41
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
What great stories you guys have. Proof that the trip is great fun since you are "on a mission" and an adventure and the anticipation of what you will find is almost overwhelming. But oh the let down is horrible, the whole way home so sad wondering when you will find one.

You have probably seen my posts, DH and I are all over the board, first we were looking at vintage, drove 5oo miles to see a 65 safari this summer that looked great in the pics, then got there and we were heartbroken. Then we were looking at new 2010's, although the dealers are "burning the wires", 50K is a little too much dough. Now back to either a late model for 20-25K or there is a 66' and 68' in MO. that we keep "revisiting on classifieds, craigslist and in our minds". Maybe its the fact that we are not specific nor picky enough that they all appeal to us, seems lately its coming down to dollars and cents, and can it sleep 4. Maybe we should wait till spring but everyone tells me now is the time for buyers? Boy I cant wait to show you guys what we finally buy!! So I can quit talking about it!
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
1400 miles round trip here... (central washington to Napa CA and back) Was a blast! scary at times but a blast.

Scott & Megan
WBCCI #8671 Oregon Unit

Tappan range oven (for spare parts)
baby moons for stock rims with clips
twist drawer knobs and their face frame screw in hook

Marvel Refrigerator

goransons is offline   Reply With Quote