Old 08-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Atl to TUS & back

Hi from Ga. . .Heading from Atl to Tucson to pick up our new (to us) 05 Safari 25 LS. Previous SOB MH I bought, flew to Santa Fe and drove it home. This is a little farther, plus round trip in the TV. I just can't seem to find what I want near home. (missed a similar 25 that was 2 miles from my house cause I was on vacation in CA). Oh well, let the games begin ! regards, Craig

RamblinManGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #128
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Michigan to Colorado Springs to Balsam Lake Wisconsin and camping for Thanksgiving last fall when Brad met me en route three hours from home. Only problem is was that I returned with our old Airstream!! I wasn't smart enough to ask for a volunteer inspector and because I saw video and the Airstream was listed in excellent condition I believed it would be so. However the water pump flooded the hallwall upon walk through and besides the smell and other evidences of abuse not disclosed I took a very abrupt pass and headed towards home while it started to snow, yet calling another seller from the truck while pulling away and making arrangements to inspect that unit with a similar 28' Classic floorplan. A little over 3,000 miles but I got to see Colorado Springs, Zep from the forums, met a wonderful woman and was her house guest (the new PO) camped for Thanksgiving and turned out to have saved thousands of dollars by buying and selling myself instead of going through the dealer. So not bad at all and the Airstream is in fantastic shape albeit needing a thorough cleaning and shining from sitting so long.

We then needed to sell our Airstream before I could complete the transaction with the new PO. A couple from Washington state purchased our Airstream through their son from Iowa as inspector and transporter in February.

Come March of this year I convinced DH to pretty please go pick her up for me since it would have to have the WD gear installed and I would be basically useless to get it home without his help. So he did despite having to have the driveway plowed out and working in the cold and snow, and that added another 700 miles to Wisconsin and back for another 1400 miles onto the total tally. Still all things considered an excellent group of transactions for all parties involved...well except for the salesman that had put me up in Garden of the Gods campground, but hey, one should do their homework and precheck for the walk through! I am ever so thankful for the sequence of events that has led us to the better Airstream in the end and we obviously have enjoyed all the travel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trip.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	108380

Click image for larger version

Name:	trip2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	108381

Previously I had gone to the International Rally in Salem Oregon in 2006 and traded one Airstream for another but that was not anticipated and the same is true for attending the International Rally in Lansing in 2004 only that was much closer to our home. (Gotta watch those Internationals, they can be hard on the pocket book! )

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #129
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Well while not as exciting as the other stories ,the wife and I decided 1 day out and 1 day back was enough. Well we found our AS on the forums here and it was either advertised on Ebay or Craigs list also and I can't remember now.
Looked good in the pic's. So I contacted the owner by phone for an appointment to see it. The trip was only about 80 miles one way. We liked what we saw,new rubber,new carpet,new fridge,new AC. Clean inside and out. Mostly all original,a few little things here and there,nothing I couldn't handle.
I ask the PO to be excused for a minute (YOU KNOW) and when I returned the PO had backed our TV up to the AS(keys per the wife) and was putting on the drawbar and had the WD bars laid out.
ME /Whats goin on here? PO /You are takin it home.ME/but I didnt bring any money or a hitch.PO/U can have this hitch.ME/I didnt bring any money.PO/Dont matter I know where ya live.Me/what about the title n plates ? PO/Don't worry about it,I'll take care of it.
So we hookup and brought her home. We had it for a month here and home before I was able to contact the PO again.
We met him in Richmond,Ind and had lunch,he brought the title and we brought the check. He bought lunch. Worked out great.
If you were wondering,why this PO was so trusting,well maybe he was a good judge of character or maybe its because he is an INDIANA STATE TROOPER. NOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY.
Total traveled miles about 200. EXPERIENCE /Priceless
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #130
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
We had searched for about a year for the right deal for a 25' Safari FB SE, and found an intriguing ad on Craigslist. The PO was a bit of a curmudgeon in eastern PA. He claimed difficulty in taking and sending pictures, did not follow through on our request to have the local repair guy at our expense fill out the excellent Airforum inspection form, but continued to interact via phone and email. We made a deal with him that was thousands less than the general cost of similar models, and included a direct transfer of the pink slip from the bank to us. I also had a good conversation with a helpful loan officer from the bank who vouched for the seller and the existence of the trailer.

San Diego to east PA in three days: 2,890 miles. The PO was to meet us, but left a msg. that he had been in a car wreck and was in the hospital. We were then expecting, as you are now, that we were walking into a trap. The trailer was in a storage yard up in the hills of the Poconos. We arrived at twilight, and had indescribable relief to see the trailer in one piece and generally excellent condition! Batteries were dead and frozen, and the PO had left a lot of junk (including medications!) in the trailer, but we were so relieved to "rescue" her from frozen PA and bring her home (3,200 miles southern route) to warm San Diego.

After some plumbing repairs, tweaking and cleaning, she is now Silvia, and beckons us each day from her place in our driveway to take a new adventure.
John and Lynn,
Silvia ('06 25' Safari SE FB) and Silvester ('05 Chevy Express 3500)
jspafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #131
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Fantastic story, jspafford! Stories with curmudgeons, no photos and mysterious car wrecks don't normally have a happy ending, but I was relieved to read the last couple sentences. Congrats!
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #132
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
To the moon and back

Last month I traveled to the moon and back to pick up an abandoned Lunar Rover to convert into an off road RV. I am going to surround it in an Airstream shell.

I had to accelerate as fast as I could down one of Colorado’s steep mountain passes, so that the next hill launched me into earth orbit. I then achieved escape velocity by eating many cans of baked beans. The ensuing gas expulsion provided the extra thrust necessary.

My lunar landing zone was a recently discovered location on the lunar surface where the cheese was actually cottage cheese. This provided a soft impact.

Once I located the Lunar Rover and secured it safely in tow, I speed down one side of a lunar crater and used its parabolic shape to amplify my speed as I went up the other side. Thus, I escaped the lunar gravity and began my voyage home.

Upon reaching the Earth, I used the negative ions in a very high altitude Aurora Borealis to reduce my speed to the point where I could enter a noctilucent cloud. There I was able to safely deploy the parachute I had mounted to the truck.

Of course like all of my projects the Lunar Rover still sits unconverted in my storage shed.

Aurora Borealis

Noctilucent cloud

Driving the lunar rover to the truck

Lunar Rover as it sits in my shed

477,714 miles

Try to top that!

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #133
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sure Ken. Everyone knows that all those moon pictures with the "lunar" rover were filmed on a Hollywood set and it's around 1,000 miles from Longmont to Hollywood.

Are those ST tires on the rover?

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #134
2 Rivet Member
1965 22' Safari
Shelter Island , New York
Shouldn't that rover have Baby Moons on the wheels?
Come on a (1965) Safari with me!
Dag68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #135
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
The '05 Classic was a local purchase. The '08 was 100 miles away. Hardly warmed up the engine.
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #136
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Last week we went 1300 miles from Houston to Greenberg PA to pick up our 2006 Safari FB. The great thing about it is we got to camp on the return trip, back through the Smokey Mountains another 1300 miles.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #137
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Last month I drove 3000 miles, round trip, to pick up a new "to us" 2004 28' Classic in Virgina. This is the third Airstream that I've driven to get, but a personal high on distance. Four day trip.

Then, after several days of cleaning and transferring our "stuff", I put our '01 25' on Craigslist, and sold it in less than 24 hours.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #138
2 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Fort McCoy , Florida
I drove from Ocala Florida to Addison Maine to pick-up my one owner 1972 Ambassador-did not know any better, but it was worth it as the unit was all original and I am currently full-timing as a Campground Host. Mileage? A lot, I may be the dumbest one on this thread!
Mrwaterway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #139
2014 25' International
Northfield , Minnesota
We're bringing our Serenity out to Northfield MN next month from Oregon! Do you know of a covered place to store it in Northfield? I'm not having any luck on line.
MBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #140
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
2040-mile round trip from NW Arkansas to Hancock, MI.

PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote