Old 07-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
Looks like no WD hitch, and tow vehicle appeared low in front and high in rear...so.... Never saw any brake lights. Appears to be short wheel base SUV and 28+ at least trailer, and I think that is a bad set up even if weights are within limits. We had a Tahoe pulling our 25' and immediately went and got a F250 with a long wheel base. MUCH better! Even if the speed limit is 65, why not just be under it for a little more safety?

Old 07-26-2017, 10:51 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I suddenly appreciate how a cover can help. Think I'll make a "garter belt" for the bare bottles on the avion AND for eddie.
I thought I saw two loose tanks AND a loose tank cover.

Looking at the video again to make sure, at 21 seconds in, the tanks were dangling from their hoses, and it was the tank cover that went sliding down the road.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
That's what I thought too FWIW. Amazing the trailer and tow vehicle stayed connected, as someone else said earlier.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
It was caused by the spare tire mounted on the rear bumper!

Seriously, I saw something similar with a boat trailer. It got into harmonics and dragged the truck into the ditch.
I'm surprised the tow vehicle stayed upright.
I watched on YouTube full screen and stopped it. I didn't see a WD hitch, and both propane tanks flew off. At one point both rear car tires were off the ground.
The lucky guy was the small white SUV in the left lane who missed everything.

On a motorcycle we called those "Tank Slappers" and it happened with poorly distributed weight.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #19
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful1 View Post
-- snip -- tow vehicle appeared low in front and high in rear. -- snip --
Don't believe it is high in the rear until the rollover lifts the back. Looks to me that it had some rear squat initially. The first you can see the TV is in the middle of the 13 second. Sad end. Pat
Old 07-26-2017, 11:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
At least it was the end of an SOB, not an Airstream. Just Sayin'...
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
That was a long build-up to the turn over.... many oscillations - I'm sure the driver would have known there was a sway issue happening... he or she likely didn't know how to deal with it though (manually apply trailer breaks, etc..)
Old 07-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The first sway happens about 2 seconds in. I suppose there could have been other things going on before the start of the video. At about 9 seconds he's still in some sort of control. At least the sway is not building at that point. By 14 seconds it's all over. Six seconds does not sound like much, but if you time it off, it's a lot of time. This went on for quite a while. At a mile a minute, 6 seconds gets you far enough to be across the other 5 lanes and into the trees ...

Bob
Old 07-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Monza, if you come over here from your closed thread, it seems as if the camera was not a dash cam, but was hand-held IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks. Also interesting that the video appears to have been made by the driver hand-holding the camera IMO -- perhaps another distracted driving accident just down the road, averted by the roll-over in front stopping him!

Old 07-26-2017, 12:46 PM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Best guess is that the TV was a Ford Expedition. It's roughly in the "6,000 pound towing" class. After many views (and looking at the wreck cleanup video) ... still no idea what the trailer make and model was.

I still find the total lack of any brakes somewhat amazing (unless the trailer simply was not plugged in at all). The normal reflex is to put on the brakes. Watching the rest of traffic zoom by them, they were either already going slow or slowing down ....

Bob
Old 07-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Pleasant City , Ohio
Now now - don't you dare say anything about the limits of an expedition........that thing has independent rear suspension - put a good hitch on it and it will tow aaaaaaaaanything........haha

Hope everyone involved is ok!
Old 07-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCCO View Post
Now now - don't you dare say anything about the limits of an expedition........that thing has independent rear suspension - put a good hitch on it and it will tow aaaaaaaaanything........haha

Hope everyone involved is ok!
Hi

I would not *dare* soil the reputation of *any* SUV

We actually drove Explorers and Expeditions for a number of years. I never tried to tow anything that big with them. I certainly pulled around small stuff a number of times. The Expedition was fine for cruising down the road with the kids in back.

AFIK, nobody was injured in the accident. That was reported on one of the other videos. I'm guessing they must have at least had seat belts on. Nothing I have seen from a news outlet so far has anything rational about the cause of the accident. (Yes I could shorten that up a bit .. )

Bob
Old 07-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Having DONE roughly the same thing to my former Airstream - I can personally attest that the elapsed time between the realization that there is a problem and hitting the embankmemt was not long enough to say OH SH**! more than twice. I had deliberately placed my brake controller less than six inches from my right hand and reached for it as I started rolling. IT JUST HIT ME that in a panic situation letting GO of the steering wheel with one hand is a pretty unnatural act. My truck has hand controls to change sound levels on music... but I still have to reach for the brake controller. Might do better to have a "deadman" switch that would activate beakes and flashers when your hand comes loose. (kidding but only slightly.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I think that a lot of us would be interested in the driver's take on what was happening in this particular case. There's been some speculation about this and that. With no information, we've done what everybody always does. Maybe at some point there will be a follow up. I'm pretty sure right now the poor person is still very shook up.

Bob