Old 12-15-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
FREE A/S from

Hey All

Is this for real? Frank's Trailer Works is offering free Airstreams.
I'm thinking about taking him up on this offer. He has a few trailer to choose from. If it's free it's for me!

Free trailers

Ace in Pa
WBCCI #2169

aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Welcome to the forum! Looks like a great way to get a nicely restored trailer.

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
I met him at a Rally. He give me a tour of his trailer. I have Caravel now. But I'm wanting a 60's 22-25 footer.

aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I was contacted by a guy in PA about an Argosy I knew about in the Pittsburg area (my uncles's) and had a thread about on this forum. He was interested in buying it and using it as a give away for a promo for his business. Must be the same guy. As I remember he was looking for trailers that were fixer uppers. Turned out the Argosy was beyond that.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Hmm. There are no free lunches.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
Mouse Nest Hunter
1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
Seems like a good deal to me. If you want to have a trailer restored, you have to have a trailer to be restored.

As a disclaimer, I must admit that I am a customer of Frank's. He rebuilt my bathroom vanity and wardrobes and veneered them in beautiful ropey cherry. I was showing my trailer to a cabinet builder friend of mine, and his first comment was "Wow, who built your cabinets?". He was very impressed, and this guy is a high end "boutique" furniture maker.

I'm having the cabinets in the front end of the trailer done by Frank, too. In fact, a few weeks ago he drove 200 miles out of his way to stop by my storage facility and pick up my cabinets on his way home from an Airstream recovery. That saved me from having to drive from central New York to Baltimore to drop them off myself.

I cannot say enough about Frank. He is as honest as the day is long, and I am constanly impressed by his work ethic. No one will give you a better deal, free trailer or otherwise.
RoverOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Frank is a great guy. I "think" the full details of this are, free trailer with the purchase of a restoration package from Frank's Trailer Works. Frank will do a great job on anything he commits to.
Kevin with Baity the Lab/Pointer
//------AIR # 7303------\\
WBCCI 17109
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Frank Yensan, isn't he a member here? Name sounds familiar...

EDIT: Yes, it's a user called 62Overlander

Unless there are two Frank Yensans.
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
I think it's a pretty clever idea. Let's say Frank picks up a rough Airstream shell for a couple thousand dollars. A complete "stem to stern" renovation could easily top $50k. The free trailer idea generates lots of publicity... which would have been sunk costs advertising in other venues. If he gets some takers, he books enough work to him busy and builds a nice portfolio. At the end of the day, it's that portfolio and the reputation he builds that will continue to build his business.

I don't necessarily agree with Frank on other issues (*cough* WBCCI *cough*), but I cannot fault his incredible passion for Airstreams. I hope the idea works and he builds a profitable business doing what he loves.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master
San Angelo , Texas
Ingenious capitalism at its best. I hope it works out well for you, Frank.
1971 Sovereign International - SOLD

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #11
Mouse Nest Hunter
1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
One more thing about Frank that I forgot to mention. Most people are probably not aware that he holds a Masters Degree in Fine Arts. He was able to help me choose which wood species, counter top veneer, hardware finishes, etc would look good together. I am a pharmacist, and I have no confidence in my ability to choose things like that. I know what I like, Frank knows what will look good.
RoverOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I'm just hoping Frank doesn't find a late-50s Caravanner or an Argosy 24' rear-door. That would be bad for my budget, free trailer or not...

mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master
1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
If you restore a trailer and then try to sell it, you'll get what the market will bear. If you repair or restore someone else's trailer, they'll pay whatever it costs. So,what would the obligations be? Say you pick out a trailer and say fix it up this way or that way. What happens if you get cold feet? Can you just walk away? What would prevent that? How much would you need to put up front before they start? If they give you the title first and have done no work, what prevents you from repo-ing it. If you put money up first without the title, how do you recover it if you're unhappy with them and want out? Definitely 'terra incognita'
"Not all who are laundering are washed" say Bill & Heidi

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:07 AM   #14
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Wow, what a thing to find on the forums first thing in the morning...

It is true I am giving away some trailers with a restoration. I have been slowly buying some wonderful rigs just for this purpose. Yes, this is a marketing ploy, but it is also my silly way of saving some trailers that need a new lease on life. I think everyone wins in this situation including the trailer. At most restoration shops you have to bring them a trailer. I can operate that way too, but think for a few, I have taken the hard part out of the search. Hopefully as time progresses some out there will even donate a rig or two to me just for this very cause. I have no aspirations of becoming rich doing this. I do it for the love of it. Most people that meet me quickly understand my genuine sincerity about these old trailers. As far as follow through, I can only speak for me. Often it is also realized that I am not going to do as I say, I am going to do more than I say. Only time will tell how it will all play out.

Thank you all for those kind words...

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote