Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Forum or Airstream for advice?

I'm new to this site and Airstream. I've had several questions answered here and the site is a great resource. I'm looking forward to exploring the travel info sections etc. as soon as I fix a few things on my AS. It seems that when I ask AS directly about how to do or fix something, I get answers that are contradictory to the answers I get on the forum. The forum answers usually appear to me more accurate. I'd like to hear from others about their thoughts on this. I already messed up the skin on my AS by jacking in the wrong place based upon AS's recommendation. At some point, we have to make our own best call but I'm still in the "confused" state. Appreciate your thoughts.
ldetsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Edfos2

The longer you stay at your Airstream and the longer you monitor and use the Forum, the more your level of self confidence will grow.

You will also come to realize that forum members collectively know more about the product than virtually any Airstream dealer or employee.

Sometimes there are diametrically opposed opinions on the forum and you will have to decide for yourself, based on the arguments put forward.

In that case you will know that the forum members rarely have anything to sell and the so-called Airstream “experts” almost always do.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello edfos2 , stick with the forums here ,Gather all the info you can ,even from airstream just so you have it .The thing is that here you get to talk to everyone that either owns an airstream or is involved in them in one
way or another .The compiled knowledge from all on the forums should get
you going in the direction you wish to go and the help you need .The folks here can provide hands on knowledge ,they have the same coach or they have had the same problem ,so on and so forth ,real world experience is the best kind to have and it can be found on these forums .Better yet is that
we all want to help ,share and benefit from others as well .all in all a great
place to be .you can ask as many questions as you like and you will recieve
great replys from great people all with the same common goal ,the love of
the airstream trailer and the continuation of the it ,vintage or brand new .
all good stuff ,so stay tuned and soon you'll be giving out your advice as well
Im sure some airstream dealers are ok ,but nobody can give you information
like the airstream knowledge forums can ,period.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfos2
I'm new to this site and Airstream. I've had several questions answered here and the site is a great resource. I'm looking forward to exploring the travel info sections etc. as soon as I fix a few things on my AS. It seems that when I ask AS directly about how to do or fix something, I get answers that are contradictory to the answers I get on the forum. The forum answers usually appear to me more accurate. I'd like to hear from others about their thoughts on this. I already messed up the skin on my AS by jacking in the wrong place based upon AS's recommendation. At some point, we have to make our own best call but I'm still in the "confused" state. Appreciate your thoughts.
Hi edfos2; While at this point you may not be ready to appreciate my comment, but I am going to point out that everyone makes mistakes everyday. Some small, some big. Some are done on purpose by
disgruntle employees. Some even think that is funny. Back in early 80's, when OMC was relocating their plant because of difficulties with the workers Union, we used to get six cylinder engines with five pistons in it. In place of a piston was an empty beer can with FU written on it's end. Most of us would not allow our selfs to stoop down that low, to some it is fun. It is possible that a mistake was made in placing the sticker. The same person may have been responsible for placing stickers on different models and made a mistake as to the location of it. Nonetheless, it is good to think twice before we just jump into doing something without consideration for the outcome from our actions. First and the best thing you can do, is to familiarize yourself with your rig, as much as you can. Think twice, it only cost you few moments.
Decision made in haste can cost you a lot, as you have learned. If you would have followed the belly pan rivet line, you could have avoided your misfortune by realizing where the frame is.
As to accepting any advise, you should only accept it if it makes sense to you, after thinking twice. As for the advise from the Airstream Forums, you should understand that that knowledge is based on experience of our members who made mistakes and learned from them. That is the best part of it.
Your responsibility is to sort it out and apply it properly. The contributions of our members to the Forums is a great source of information, providing that you understand it. If you not sure, the second best thing about the Forums is that you can post a question, and those who are truly concerned about fellow air streamers will gladly help you sort it out. Most likely you will get different opinions, which you are not obligated to follow. They are suggestions not your manual. From here you have a choice, DIY or see the dealer. Because you may have to do repairs on the road it would be good if you learn how to help yourself. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:31 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I agree with boatdoc, it is amazing what disgruntled workers are capable of I have seen the jack stickers you are refering to and I think there is a miscommunication issue with them. On my 1975 and 1980 the stickers refer to where the stabilizer jacks were supposed to be placed. The manual for the 80 says there is a sticker where you are supposed to jack the trailer up...but as far as I can tell it never got put on there. And from some of the things I have found in my dissasembly I am not too sure about other things that go on at the Airstream plant. The best so far was the patching of a rather irregular hole at one of the vent stacks with duct tape, that was after the used some form of heat to warp the vent stack to make it fit . So they are built by, for and operated by humans

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:03 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Problem Resolution

When I encounter a problem or want to improve my Airstream, The first thing I do is check out these Forums for past posts on the issue. If my question or concern is not sufficiently addressed, I start a thread with my specific question. Next, I read the approriate section of my Airstream Owners Manual. These steps have always worked for me.

On the couple of occasions that I have called the dealer for advice, I quickly got the feeling that the "expert" that I was talking to knew less aboutn the issue than I did. On one occasion, I emailed the Airstream Factory with a question. The response was not very satisfactory.

These Forums, coupled with good judgement, are the answers to all things Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote