Old 04-15-2006, 10:54 PM   #15
Vintage Airstreams Rock!
1953 21' Flying Cloud
1949 18' Trailwind
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Broomfield , Colorado

Not to worry, you won't be the only single female at WDCU rallies! There are more of us around, just not at this one!

Thanks for the summary. I've attended the last three but couldn't be there this year due to a move to Colorado and the birth of my first grandchild! All bad timing!

Pearl54FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia

My mother passed away yesterday after slipping into a coma. At almost 86 she had a full life and fortunately did not suffer.

I have a story to tell that will show you where my somewhat off-center sense of humor came from. While I was in Ohio, my brother-in-law John was very faithful about visiting the hospice both to support Karen and to chat with mom for a few minutes. Everytime he came she would say, "Oh, it's my favorite son-in-law".... Of course John is her only son-in-law, though there are a few ex-husbands who shall remain nameless. John is a really good guy and mom quite sincerely adores him.

The last time John visited before mom slipped into unconsciousness, there were a couple of hospice workers in the room in addition to family, and mom (somewhat sedated, mind you) said, "Ah, it's John, my favorite S. O. B." - then immediately realized that she'd had a brain snafu and went into... "oh I didn't mean THAT!" Meanwhile everyone in the room including John was having hysterics.... Mom finally joined in and sighed, "well now I know how I'm going to be remembered by you from now on." to John.

We are still cracking up about it, so she's probably right.

I personally think she might actually have crossed up some stories about Airstreams vs SOB's when her tongue went awry.

Here is another classic mom story for you to enjoy. About 18 years ago we had a big family reunion here in Virginia Beach. Of course a trip to Williamsburg was included as many of the family are history buffs. The little old ladies, mom an her older sister Gert were like energizer bunnies... the younger generation were exhausted, footsore and looking for whisky while the biddies just kept going and going.....
Well at any rate we stopped briefly on the main street to reconnoiter and regroup when one of the reenactors came up and spoke to mother. "Good woman, I am looking for a superior house servant to oversee my manor and order the workings of the plantation house, I see by your clothing that you are new to these parts, so I thought to approach and ask if you were in need of such a position." Then there followed a discussion of the wages and working conditions. Next the reenactor asked, "And I would also be interested in hiring your husband too." Mother, completely in the spirit of the exchange responded, "Good Sir, I am a widow." To which he answered, "Oh I am so sorry for the loss of your husband." to which mom instantly replied, "Well, I'm NOT!"

By this time there must have been 20 people standing around.... The poor schlep's jaw dropped and he was totally unable regain his role. The audience roared! My mother quietly curtsied and walked away with us trailing after, still chuckling.

Paula Ford

Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I am very sorry for your loss. Those were great stories and perhaps are the best way to remember. It was a pleasure to meet you at the CBR (I was the guy that lended you the hoses). I hope to see you at another rally soon.

SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote