Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Follow-up to Cherry Blossom Rally

Thank you all for putting on such a wonderful event. Fourty Airstreams on a farm... I can see the headlines now, "In a small horse pasture in Upper Marlboro the silver pods began appearing.... what mysterious lifeforms are starting to emerge in the dawn's early light?"

I had a rally, rally good time..... Thanks to all of you who made me feel sooooo welcome and invited me to join your group. The DC group is definitely not "fogies with stogies" I think there was only one other single female in the group, but I definitely wasn't made to feel like a fifth wheel (BAD PUN! ).

I think every member of the rally should receive a medal for breaking the drought! Apparently it's a tradition of the CBR to have at least one day of "gritty" weather and boy did we. I found that small doses of white zinfindel warded off the worst effects.

I got to see my first Argosy Minuet - wow are they neat but small - and a wide variety of other vintage to newer units dating from the mid 50's through 90's. The vintage units with period tow vehicles were really a kick. And I really enjoyed seeing folks who were polishing at the rally. Oy vey! That's a lot of work.

Many people toured "Foiled Again" and were impressed with the innovative design and the nice interior (midnight sun). It is the most "dirt friendly" of the standard upholsteries available. The vintage people nearly cried to see the return of the vista views and the wrap around window in the back - just like the Argosy! (innovative? more like intelligently recycled). I gotta tell you though after driving up on 301 and crossing the 2 lane Potomac River bridge SIZE MATTERS! That extra six inches in width didn't defeat me, but my knuckles did whiten perceptably.

I thought I'd have plenty of water hose, but couldn't reach the hookup, so before I could even ask where the nearest Wal-Mart was, magically I'd been hooked up with 40 feet of spare hose hose. Next I thought my furnace was malfunctioning, because the Propane alarm went off after about 5 minutes. Needless to say a quick exam by the veterans turned up that it was the smoke detector (it's mounted almost directly over the propane detector) and it was being set off by the new furnace burnoff. Set on the fantastic fan and cleared the stream, then slept in cozy warmth on a night that went down to the 40's.

Food was fantastic, everyone was SO NICE, even though I doubt anyone went to the Cherry Blossom parade (40 degree weather, driving rain, 20 mph winds... ) we still all had fun. Just talking, touring each other's units, playing cards or sitting around planning renovations.

I didn't tell anyone at the rally, but when I left I headed to Ohio where my mother was just admitted to hospice. She is nearly 86, has had 17 hospitalizations in the last 5 years and the last one which happened Thursday just ruined what little heart muscle she had. I seriously considered skipping the rally, but I know she could last for weeks or months and I really wanted to fill up my reservoir with some happy times before I came here.

It really does help. Mother has always relied on me to be the family entertainer when things are grim, so I regaled her with stories of how the rain reconstituted the horse leavings, of how much difference six inches could make, told her stories of the frame off restorations some have done, and how people are actually preserving the "Mamie Pink" interiors of '50's units, and my personal crisis after leaving

... I'd just gotten about 100 miles out of DC when suddenly all of the smoked salmon, hummas and other rich food I'd eaten created a crisis in my lower digestive tract. EGAD, I'd left without filling my fresh water tank! ARGH! nature was calling in a way that could NOT be denied, so I pulled over, ran for the trailer and tested the limits of that cheap plastic bathroom bowl. Oh dear, there is just NO description which will suffice, OR get past the moderators. Now what could I do? Oh no, this wasn't something that a half liter of bottled water would remove. Oh sh....
Well, there has never been a more pitiful waste of a box of cheap white zinfindel, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Now, will I get a wine stain on the plastic bowl?

They've got mom on Haldol and morphine; she laughed and laughed then made me repeat the story to the nurses, then nodded off while watching West Wing.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Pictures, we need pictures.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:33 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
Pictures, we need pictures.
NO WE DON'T....oh you mean of the CBR Paula I think I suggested a PORCELAIN bowl

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
...ARGH! nature was calling in a way that could NOT be denied, so I pulled over, ran for the trailer and tested the limits of that cheap plastic bathroom bowl. Oh dear, there is just NO description which will suffice, ...
To qualify for the big time, you have to be naked in the tub on all fours with stuff coming out both ends. But we won't go into that little episode here! Except at the time you think to yourself that when they find me [dead] it really wasn't as bad as it looks--it was worse.

Paula, you are a way funny woman with a great outlook. Thanks for the "blog."
Old 04-11-2006, 05:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Foiled Again -- Very nice write-up. Thanks for the entertainment.

And God bless your Mom in Ohio (from another with a mom back home in Ohio.)

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
To qualify for the big time, you have to be naked in the tub on all fours with stuff coming out both ends. But we won't go into that little episode here! Except at the time you think to yourself that when they find me [dead] it really wasn't as bad as it looks--it was worse.

Paula, you are a way funny woman with a great outlook. Thanks for the "blog."
ZEP,

We must have eaten at the same place when that happened to me too! Of course, that was long ago and far away in another lifetime .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Paula,

Thanks for the great report on the Cherry Blossom Fest. Seems like I was almost there. Hope your Mom is doing OK! Enjoy your new A/S and thanks for the mattress and bed make-up tips that you posted elsewhere. It was just what I was looking for (not being the 'domestic' type! )

Ya, the wine was a waste but you gotta do what you gotta do....right!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:58 AM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Paula ~

It may have seemed like a waste of good wine but without it where would you have been? Bet it killed the smell too. Hope your mom gets to doing better and thanks for the stories.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:09 AM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Paula,
The wine was headed that way anyway, you just bypassed one of the processing steps. It's like they say about beer; you don't buy beer, you rent it.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
I didn't mean pictures of the White Zinfindel wash out, I meant pictures of the rally. Geez! You guys always take it to its most gross level.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:59 AM   #11
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Paula, thanks for the laugh, and glad you were able to share the story with your mother, too. Laughter really is the best medicine.

Hoping for the best for your mom -
Old 04-11-2006, 11:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Cbr...

Paula,
Thanks for the fantasticly funny recollection of the rally.. Enjoy your travels and, my best wishes for your mum~
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Good 4U...

Hi Paula...
I'm glad U went 4it, as U kn, We both got things in common... happenin in our lives rite now, & 2 decide what 2do is a nightmare... sigh... But I'm realy glad U had a FAB time, & let Yrself B U... had a laff, met New & Old Friends, & I jus Luv the way U say things, the way it WERE...LOL, nothin rong with a good story... Keep it Up Paula, & Hey Gal, I'm jus 2 steps B'Hind U, Go on, tell another story... I jus gotta C the pics now...LOL...Chris.....
Old 04-15-2006, 04:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Laughing out loud!

Paula, it was great meeting you. And yes, we love the pink in our 60 Trade Wind. Zoe' just came in and asked what I was laughing out loud at...your story was great! Wishing your mother the best! You too!

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:54 PM   #15
Addicted to Road Trips!

1953 21' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
1949 18' Trailwind
Broomfield , Colorado
Cbr

Paula,

Not to worry, you won't be the only single female at WDCU rallies! There are more of us around, just not at this one!

Thanks for the summary. I've attended the last three but couldn't be there this year due to a move to Colorado and the birth of my first grandchild! All bad timing!

Patti
Pearl54FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Follow-up

My mother passed away yesterday after slipping into a coma. At almost 86 she had a full life and fortunately did not suffer.

I have a story to tell that will show you where my somewhat off-center sense of humor came from. While I was in Ohio, my brother-in-law John was very faithful about visiting the hospice both to support Karen and to chat with mom for a few minutes. Everytime he came she would say, "Oh, it's my favorite son-in-law".... Of course John is her only son-in-law, though there are a few ex-husbands who shall remain nameless. John is a really good guy and mom quite sincerely adores him.

The last time John visited before mom slipped into unconsciousness, there were a couple of hospice workers in the room in addition to family, and mom (somewhat sedated, mind you) said, "Ah, it's John, my favorite S. O. B." - then immediately realized that she'd had a brain snafu and went into... "oh I didn't mean THAT!" Meanwhile everyone in the room including John was having hysterics.... Mom finally joined in and sighed, "well now I know how I'm going to be remembered by you from now on." to John.

We are still cracking up about it, so she's probably right.

I personally think she might actually have crossed up some stories about Airstreams vs SOB's when her tongue went awry.

Here is another classic mom story for you to enjoy. About 18 years ago we had a big family reunion here in Virginia Beach. Of course a trip to Williamsburg was included as many of the family are history buffs. The little old ladies, mom an her older sister Gert were like energizer bunnies... the younger generation were exhausted, footsore and looking for whisky while the biddies just kept going and going.....
Well at any rate we stopped briefly on the main street to reconnoiter and regroup when one of the reenactors came up and spoke to mother. "Good woman, I am looking for a superior house servant to oversee my manor and order the workings of the plantation house, I see by your clothing that you are new to these parts, so I thought to approach and ask if you were in need of such a position." Then there followed a discussion of the wages and working conditions. Next the reenactor asked, "And I would also be interested in hiring your husband too." Mother, completely in the spirit of the exchange responded, "Good Sir, I am a widow." To which he answered, "Oh I am so sorry for the loss of your husband." to which mom instantly replied, "Well, I'm NOT!"

By this time there must have been 20 people standing around.... The poor schlep's jaw dropped and he was totally unable regain his role. The audience roared! My mother quietly curtsied and walked away with us trailing after, still chuckling.

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Paula,
I am very sorry for your loss. Those were great stories and perhaps are the best way to remember. It was a pleasure to meet you at the CBR (I was the guy that lended you the hoses). I hope to see you at another rally soon.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote