Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Folding bikes

Does anyone have folding bikes? That may be the answer to where the bikes go when pulling our Airstream. But there are so many and a wide price range. We want to choose one with good quality for recreational riding.... I'm not sure how to compare them and there aren't any shops around us to give any a try. I would appreciate input form those of you who have them. Thanks, MJ
MJBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Married to Soldiermedic

San Antonio , Texas
Here is a site that has them.

Montague Paratrooper Tactical Folding Mountain Bike: The Bike

These are used in the military quite often.
CombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
We recently purchased a couple of Dahon folders and have been quite pleased. We chose the speed P8 because it came with the wider tires.
Google SafteyCycle in Los Angeles, they still have some 2008 models at reduced prices and the shipping is free.
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
That's a lot like asking "what car should I buy?" Each model exists to serve a different market. Your budget, folding size, unfolded size, component quality, YOUR size, your ability to service it, and the way you intend use it are all considerations, and are all equally important.

The least expensive folding bikes may work for you, but they won't be fun to ride. Most of the offerings from Downtube (I've recently changed my opinion on them), Trek folders (I have two, an F600 and F400) and (2005 and later) Dahon folders are all high quality for reasonable cost. They don't make the Treks any more. If you're willing to get into the higher end folding bikes Bike Friday and Brompton occupy the space from about $800 to $4,000.

There are also a lot of older folding bikes out there from the '70s that can be fun. Wahoonc can fill you in on those!

Don't pass up on good used bikes. They can be found on eBay and Craigslist. Just search on "folding bike" or "folding bicycle".

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
I have had a Worksman 3-speed folder for several years and like it. They are built like a tank. And where else can you get a bicycle made in the USA?

folding
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
I have had a Worksman 3-speed folder for several years and like it. They are built like a tank. And where else can you get a bicycle made in the USA?

folding
Green Gear Cycling, in Eugene Oregon, manufacturers of the Bike Friday.

Roger
Old 08-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
We purchased some Dahon 26" Espresso folders about 6 months ago and love them. I don't know what your budget is, but folding bikes can get pretty expensive. We paid about $350 (2008 closeout models on sale) each for ours which is reasonable. The MSRP for a 2009 is about $500. The thing about the 26" folders is they are the same size as a standard bicycle when unfolded, but you sacrifice small size and light weight. The Espresso is about 29lbs I think. The nice thing is they fit easily in the back of the pickup with the camper shell on, so I don't have to deal with racks or hauling them in the trailer.

Folding Bicycles and Folding Bicycle Accessories by Dahon: Espresso
Old 08-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Another vote for Bike Friday.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
We've had two mid level Dahons since about 2005. They are adequate, but I've grown pretty ambivalent about them.

Neither of them came from the factory in suitable condition. Bottom brackets were too tight, hub cones were too tight, etc. You could ride it that way, but in about 200 miles things would begin seizing and/or falling off (which they kind of did anyway, come to think of it). Possibly the Mu or Speed Pro might be a little better assembled.

I've put about 1200 miles on one, mostly commuting but including one 65 mile ride. The other has had more gentle use. I'm afraid mine's about done, as it needs repairs equal to its current value. I've put many more miles on many more bikes which needed far less maintenance.

I would not buy another Dahon, I think. I would be more likely to save for a considerable period and go Brompton, although Bike Friday's Tikit is interesting too.

So, it depends, what do you do with a bike? I understand recreational, but some people cruise 75 miles at 18mph and describe themselves as recreational. Others poke around the campground and toodle down to the store or beach and also describe themselves as recreational. They're both right, of course.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
One more strong vote for Bike Friday.

Mine hasn't been anywhere on the Airstream yet, but we were out cruising on our sailboat for 8 years and the two Bike Fridays were our main transportation on land. They're still going strong.

Bike Friday's cost a little more, but if you really want a decent bike to ride, to me they are the way to go on a folding bike.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Dahon and Downtube will most likely fill the bill for campground riding. If you plan to ride more or longer distances start saving for Bike Friday or Brompton. There are plenty of vintage folders out there, but they are like vintage Airstreams

I am partial to the Raleigh Twenty's I currently have two and probably a third one

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Well, I have both a Dahon D7 (on sale at Performance bike right now for less than $300.. a screaming deal!) and it's been workman like for quick commutes of less than 12 miles. It's a very comfortable bike (a bit fast steering, but you get used to it quickly), but it's not as fast as my regular road bike.

I also have a Bike Friday tandem (actually, it converts to a triple to haul the kids around... it's as long as a semi!). It really feels like a quality piece... I wouldn't hesitate (except for the strength of my children stokers!) to do a century on it. With the 451 rims, it's very fast. We took it to Germany a few years ago and had a blast.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

I am partial to the Raleigh Twenty's I currently have two and probably a third one

Aaron

I recognize that bag!

Roger
Old 08-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We have a pair of the Dahon Expressos and they are OK. Really any bike needs maintenance and adjustments. Ours needed it from the beginning, but not a big deal. I got a "deal" from an EBAY seller for two left over models a couple of years ago, so they were still in the boxes when we got them. Once they are setup, they seem to do alright. I did have to replace the crappy quality brake pads, however. We haul them a lot more than we ride them, but it's nice to have them when you want them, and I guess that's what a folding bike is all about.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
I recognize that bag!

Roger
That and the frame are about all that is left from the last time you saw it...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #16
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
If you want to ride around the camp ground, a low end Dahan is fine. If you want to ride around the county, a High End Dahan is fine. If you want to ride across the state, better go with Bike Friday. We've owned three of them. They are quirky but will take you anywhere. In the final analysis, we're back to full size bikes with S&S couplers for travel. Our big tandem comes apart and goes into a suitcase...but it's a serious road bike.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

We have Bike Fridays, singles and a tandem, that we have used for almost 15 years. They are hand-built in Eugene, OR, and if you're the original owner or buy one used from them (they take trade-ins from repeat customers and re-furbish them), you get a lifetime warranty on the frame - other folders have a limited time warranty. On the singles, we've done 4 months self-supported touring, and on the tandem, we did 4 weeks of Italy's mountains. Never did we have any problems. The singles pack into a standard suitcase; the tandem into 2 cases - you can also store them in bags to get rid of the weight of the cases. We like the custom fit of the BFs, so much so that we have since sold all our non-BF bikes.

This past winter, we took 2 BF singles and the tandem on our 4-month trip from OR to TX with our old A/S, folded and packed in the back of the old TV . It was nice to have all 3 bikes with us in order to mix up the riding.

As a disclaimer, I also worked at BF for about 2 years after we relocated from Phoenix to Eugene. Quit because bike tours and A/S'ing got in the way.

Hugh
09 FB Flying Cloud
07 Safari
08 Tundra
Bike Friday single and tandem bikes
Klepper folding kayak
flakeyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:21 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Thanks for all the great info. I really wanted to hear from folding bike owners and I did! Our needs are probably more in the "toodle" category as described above. We are retired, travel for fun in our Airstream as well as getting out of nasty winter for a while. We have Specialized bikes now, which we use for exercise riding and occasional long bike rides on rails to trails. When in our Airstream we do more bike rides for fun and also use them for transportation, to stores, beach etc. depending on opportunity while traveling. So the folders would be second bikes. Staying in the less pricey category is best as there is always more opportunity for them being stolen when we travel. I've been thinking Dahon is our best bet as they have such a wide range and some that are reasonably priced. I'll also look into Downtube. Anyone try a Citizen?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Seems to me that there are about four major issues (aside from price!) that ought to inform your decision:

1. Wheel size. All other things being equal, folders - or any other bike for that matter - a larger-wheeled bike will be a more comfortable long-distance ride or over rough terrain than one with smaller wheels. Smaller wheels = more compact storage. Larger wheels = more comfort and probably speed. There are tire pressure tradeoffs here also ... read the fine print and ride a few before deciding.

2. Mission profile. You indicate "toodle" which implies to me some few-mile rides. For this sort of mission, it probably won't matter ... but are you likely to want to grow into longer distances, day tours, going to the laundromat or grocery or hardware store?

3. Storage space. How much room you got to store them? Nobody that I know of beats Brompton for this, but they are quirky and expensive. Make sure it'll fit into whatever is your storage location. There are big differences ... some of which are dictated by wheel size, some by frame geometry / locking system, etc.

4. Riding style. Do you like traditional road bike position for low drag, or do you like to sit upright? Do you want speed or comfort? O.K. with derailleurs or want a shfting hub? Three speeds are fine for gentle terrain, but you'll want more speeds for longer rides or hills or a lot of wind. Differences here in maintenance, fragility, and weight. Need fenders (i.e. commute in "dress" clothes) and built-in lighting system or add-on or nothing? Need panniers for short tours or groceries?

Once you can answer most of those questions, the choice will likely become obvious ... then it's just back to the price question! Good luck!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Thanks Airsdream - those are good things to contemplate...
1. I'm thinking at least the 20" wheel. I do like my traditional bike and know I wouldn't like 16"
2. You're right about mission, we do much toodling, but we also like to do things like take a ferry to an island in Maine and explore the whole island for a day. That includes lots of hills. Rides on rails to trails are usually packed gravel, so that's another concern.
3. Currently we put our bikes in the truck cap - remove front wheel and clamp them in. Cumbersome and they take up a lot of our storage, so while we have lots of space for bikes, we'd like to use that storage for other things, and be able to pull them out and put away more easily.
4. We do like to sit upright - and these days comfort is important!
I'd love to go try different bikes, but we will have to drive a distance just to find a dealer of any kind. Maybe in our travels we can plan to purchase as we go! And I'm still looking for a moderate price, as stated, this will be our 2nd bike for travel. Thanks again.