Old 10-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Anyone have electric bikes that they take with them?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Anyone have electric bikes that they take with them?
Yeah. Well, I have an electric bike, and used to take it with me, but that was before I bought a toad. The bike is an XB-310Li folding mountain bike made by X-Treme Electric Scooters.

I like the bike, even though it's just almost too tall for me. The way the battery pack is mounted, it prevents the seat from going all the way down, so with my 31" inseam, my feet barely reach the pedals when they're at bottom dead center. I'm still trying to figure out how to modify the battery pack mounting to give me some extra travel on the seat post.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
We have the folding Montague Paratrooper that is under 30# and has real wheels. We fold and store in cheap bags from Camping World and then stuff in the back of the TV.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Im going to buy a Citizen Barcelona folding bike..will report back with my review.
LilNomad
Old 10-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Chicago , Illinois
We found you get what you pay for. Had the camping world adventure bikes. Very heavy and the gears never worked well. Return them without a hassle and bought Dahon folding bikes. Ciao d7 and a Vitesse d7. We also bought the shoulder bags and store both bikes under the front dinette when traveling. Fit perfectly. They are light weight and low maintenance. Very happy with our new bikes. Later this past summer we purchased the REI Alcove Shelter with the side walls to keep the bikes and other assorted camping stuff out of the rain. I called it our bike garage.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Wow, I didn't realize so many people had bicycles...

Our 19' Bambi and pickup bed don't have much leftover space for anything extra, let alone two bicycles. So, considering these bikes are going to cost quite a bit more than I originally thought, it looks like I need to do a little more planning and a lot more saving. Also, it's obvious that we need to visit a bike store to take a closer look at our options.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Not having taken bicycles on past roadtrips, I am unsure how much these bikes will actually be used. My wife and I aren't mountain bikers, and we're unlikely to take up the sport; so I'm curious what most non-enthusiasts use their bikes for, and how often they get ridden.

I guess I'm rethinking whether biking is realistic for us, considering the storage logistics and considerable expense.

Question: If you were almost finished packing for a roadtrip, and you could only fit in the barbecue grill or two bikes; which would you take?

Note: You can substitute something else that is kind-of optional, if the barbecue grill example doesn't work for you.

(Good grief, maybe we need to take up skateboarding or rollerblading.)
Old 10-03-2014, 12:50 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
We have owned 2 Bike Fridays for over 7 years. I have a folding 27 speed Pocket Llama and we also have a 27 Spd tandem ( my wife is visually impaired but loves to ride ) We have ridden them all over the US and Canada and all I have had to do is buy new tires for the tandem. The tandem has the capability of being taken apart and packed in two hard shell suitcases ( we don't do this) but we just do a partial take-down and put them in the truck bed. They are U.S made and were custom made for our physical size and riding style. I actually now prefer them to our " full size" bikes now.

George
Old 10-03-2014, 05:14 AM   #22

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Question: If you were almost finished packing for a roadtrip, and you could only fit in the barbecue grill or two bikes; which would you take?
The grill, hands down. Walking is good exercise, too, so I don't strictly need the bike, but everybody's got to eat!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-03-2014, 06:24 AM   #23
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Not having taken bicycles on past roadtrips, I am unsure how much these bikes will actually be used. My wife and I aren't mountain bikers, and we're unlikely to take up the sport; so I'm curious what most non-enthusiasts use their bikes for, and how often they get ridden.

I guess I'm rethinking whether biking is realistic for us, considering the storage logistics and considerable expense.

I'm pushin' 60 and I'm about 6'5" tall. As Aaron (WAHOONC) can tell you, I'm a folding bike lover, I have had a number of the better folding bikes over the years in my quest for the "perfect" folder. I can tell you that there isn't one... but my Bike Friday is pretty darn close. I actually have a Dahon that I bought for my wife for sale as she has medical issues that prevent her from riding two wheels. We also have folding recumbent tadpole trikes that we take along quite often.

So here's the deal. Cheap bikes are heavy, have terrible quality components that break and steal a tremendous amount of energy when you're trying to move the bike forward. They don't fit well, have awful seats and just generally are hard, and sometimes even painful to ride. Even though they're inexpensive, they're money wasted if you ride them once, then delegate them to the basement or garage.

Better quality bikes are a joy to ride. Little energy loss through poorly finished components, good fit and finish, and they just roll easier. In some cases, as with the Bike Friday, much, MUCH easier. While I've had a bunch of bikes over the years, and even custom-built the "ideal" touring bike for myself, the Bike Friday I have now is probably the best-riding upright I've ever owned, bar none. It's that good. It's the only upright bike I own now.

If your choice is between a bar-b-que grill or bikes, it's pretty obvious that riding isn't very important to you at this point. In order to go drag folding bikes around and for it not to be a burden, you need to find bikes that you'll actually find comfortable to ride, and then make a point of enjoying riding a bike as a pleasant pastime where ever you go. If they're just an after-thought and something you have to drag in and out every time you go, save the money AND space because you'll not use them.

Happy hunting!

Roger
Old 10-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412335980.565258.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	819.2 KB
ID:	223425
How 'bout an Airstream folding bike?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
madison , South Dakota
We bought two Citizen Barcelonas 18 months ago, about $450 each. Very adjustable, good frames, tho heavy. Lots if maintenance issues, tires, cables, brakes, gearing, rust...Standard parts so was able to replace all the broken pieces at various bike shops around the country. Also, not happy with their customer service. Several calls made, only one rep tried to be helpful.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Shoot bout the Barcelona. Lucky I have a wana be professional cyclist in my office so he can assist me. Im 5'1 and like the design of the bike. Anything has to be lighter than my beach cruiser. Love the cruiser but to big and bulky getting it in and out of the Suburban etc. Im only a leisure rider..cant spill the champagne so hopefully wont have many broken parts...As far as the question regarding the grill or bike, I'd put the grill in my bike basket hehe.
LilNomad
Old 10-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Have you thought about putting a front mount hitch on the truck and then you could mount a standard receiver mount bike rack in front and carry the bikes there? As a bonus, you can also spot the trailer in tight parking spaces with very little effort.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #28

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
Have you thought about putting a front mount hitch on the truck and then you could mount a standard receiver mount bike rack in front and carry the bikes there? As a bonus, you can also spot the trailer in tight parking spaces with very little effort.
Only works if the bike on the rack is lower than the vehicle's hood. Otherwise it's an obstruction to the driver's vision and will get you ticketed in many jurisdictions.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4