Old 07-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #113
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
There are no wimpy women in the Ford family! We're a tough bunch...Paula chasing down the neighborhood bully and pounding the stuffin' out of him (when she was about 9 is one of my fondest early memories! (he was picking on me and she was having NONE of that) Oh yeah, he was about 12 or 13 at the time. It makes me laugh every time I think of it...she's my hero!

Old 07-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by prudencepb
There are no wimpy women in the Ford family! We're a tough bunch...Paula chasing down the neighborhood bully and pounding the stuffin' out of him (when she was about 9 is one of my fondest early memories! (he was picking on me and she was having NONE of that) Oh yeah, he was about 12 or 13 at the time. It makes me laugh every time I think of it...she's my hero!
Note to self - do NOT piss off Paula :-)

Old 07-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #115
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Again, Paula, thanks so much for providing your experiences...I'm sure a lot of us have learned something through your accident. If anything, being in a hurry is probably not worth it when you're towing. Just too many forces that you can't control but have to react to.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Again, Paula, thanks so much for providing your experiences...I'm sure a lot of us have learned something through your accident. If anything, being in a hurry is probably not worth it when you're towing. Just too many forces that you can't control but have to react to.
Ditto.

Today I hit a severe crosswind going down a curvy 7% grade. I was trying not to exceed 50 mph, but started to fishtail. I immediately thought of Paula's accident.

Was able to correct, but it took some wind out of my sails. (No pun intended).

We often read/hear and experience how "easy" Airstreams tow - this relative newby was even starting to feel a bit smug. All it takes for those holes (crosswind, mountain driving etc.) in the swiss cheese to line up.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #117
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I just talked to very nice lady at ferry. I am taking it as a way to get to Ohio.She said yes
they take trailers, book online, goes by total length, what I could not do is get in late night before and sleep in lot. There is an Airstream campground, Shore Haven in Dennisville, right near Cape May, stay there next night. I am so happy for you and love your attitude. If coming from Delaware , there is campground less than mile away.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Ditto.

Today I hit a severe crosswind going down a curvy 7% grade. I was trying not to exceed 50 mph, but started to fishtail. I immediately thought of Paula's accident.

We often read/hear and experience how "easy" Airstreams tow - this relative newby was even starting to feel a bit smug. All it takes for those holes (crosswind, mountain driving etc.) in the swiss cheese to line up.
THERE -50 MPH- and "was able to correct" The holes in the Swiss cheese lined up really right because your low speed gave you more time to correct. Kudos to you. The difference between a spooky little incident and a bad accident... Speed, vigilance, good anti-sway hitch - but speed and caution are the most important.

And BTW - About overloading the trailer on weight - I was able to donate and throw away a lot of bulk, but not that much weight. Most of the dross was clothing I rarely wore - or that was designated for dirty jobs (and you really only need two outfits of that max.) When I pick up the trailer I'm bringing just enough stuff for the overnight and return trip. I'll load it once I get to the campground here - and I will be looking for further stuff to eliminate. Then it's off to the scales.

I'm starting to feel a "Survivor" themed rally coming on.

Paula
Old 07-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #119
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Smile Survivor

Paula,
Your words and attitude have probably already saved lives. You are an inspiration to the rest of us. Most of us who are retired should not being driving in a hurry between places anyway. Slow down and smell the roses.
Thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
THERE -50 MPH- and "was able to correct" The holes in the Swiss cheese lined up really right because your low speed gave you more time to correct. Kudos to you. The difference between a spooky little incident and a bad accident... Speed, vigilance, good anti-sway hitch - but speed and caution are the most important.

And BTW - About overloading the trailer on weight - I was able to donate and throw away a lot of bulk, but not that much weight. Most of the dross was clothing I rarely wore - or that was designated for dirty jobs (and you really only need two outfits of that max.) When I pick up the trailer I'm bringing just enough stuff for the overnight and return trip. I'll load it once I get to the campground here - and I will be looking for further stuff to eliminate. Then it's off to the scales.

I'm starting to feel a "Survivor" themed rally coming on.

Paula
My wife and I survived a total loss wreck of our truck / trailer rig a few years back. Something like this forever changes ones attitude about driving and towing.
Safety first!
I know what you mean by "Survivor"!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
In August of 2007 I hydroplanes a truck and trailer off of I-55 at mile marker 153 near St. Genevieve, MO. Several things could have prevented this wreck.
1. I was running bald tires. I had new tires waiting for me at home, but I tried to make one more trip...I should have installed the tires before the trip.
2. I was going about 60 mph which was still too fast for conditions...pouring down rain, the beginning of the shower when the oils on the road surface are loosened up. Studies have shown that hydroplaning will not happen at speeds under55 mph.
3. I was using cruise control...never use cruise control in the rain. If you are not using cruise and feel it breaking loose you simply let up on the accelerator.
4. Fatigue probably played a part...working long hours every day. There is a reason why the DOT regulates over the road truckers.

The truck and trailer were repaired, but my life was flashing before my eyes as I was slipping and sliding into the ditch. It took 2 trucks and 2 trailers to come get me and the mess I made.

And...I missed the Rush concert. I have the only un-torn Rush concert ticket I know of. A little shout out to my Canadian brothers...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The state trooper was singing "Tom Sawyer" as he made out the report...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony
The state trooper was singing "Tom Sawyer" as he made out the report...
That's cold!

Sorry to hear about the accident an glad you're ok. Excellent replay of lessons learned. Thank for sharing.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Paula, just saw this thread and no time to read more than a few posts. Glad to hear you are doing ok.

New name: Re-Foiled Again.

Gene
Old 07-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #125
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Today, I hit a severe crosswind going down a curv[ing] 7% grade

Worst conditions for a combined vehicle. Bar none.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Ditto.

WOW going down a 7% grade at 50 is tough enough for sure.. mind saying what type of hitch you are using and which tow vehicle..

I have been blown around 18 wheeler in mountian passes same as you had.

good thing the speed was no 60 or better.. that can pinch the seat quick.

TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote