Old 06-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #99
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Foiled
You have experienced what so many of us fear and were willing to share that experience with us so we can learn. Thanks for being so open and willing to share. We are all greatful.
It is inspiring to see how strong and self reliant you are not to mention how much power you are gaining by getting back on the road so quickly. I can't wait to read about your continued adventures. We are so thankful that you are safe.
Blessings to you.

'92 Excella 29'
Dodge Ram 1500
AIR # 59179
TAC NC-12
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I considered taking the ferry even at the Big Bucks cost - as a very reasonable alternative to I-295.....

Went to their web page and could find NO information about trailers. I know I've seen trailers on the ferry in the past. Wazzup? Anyone know if they can be boarded?

Paula
LOL, i knew it was there but since they put up the summer rates it doesn't show them. here they are:capemaylewesferry > Schedules and Fares > Fares

the ferry fill up during the summer and they limit the large vehicles. if you use the ferry, go real early and have lunch while you wait. in speaking with the staff, they tell me to reserve the trip if possible. you can overnight in their lot too. i think you're supposed to notify them.

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I called their 800 number - on hold 20 minutes, but finally made the reservation for the 6:00 pm departure July 5 from Cape May. $70. ERK! but still better than I-295 with the new trailer.

It's all happening... at the zoo...

Paula
Old 06-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i didn't think you'd leave so late. they're doing 'events' in the evenings so it is even better that you have the reservation :-)
Rock the Boat-Cape May Departures > Events and Travel Packages[G]Containers/Ferry_C/blue_border

20 minutes on hold? maybe you should mail them a buisiness card? lol
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #103
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Hey Paula,

Have them fill the black tank with water using the sewer flusher. This will prove there are no leaks in the connection, and allow you to confirm the tank level sensor is working. Wish I had done that.

Don
Old 06-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Hope they have water filled , AC on and refrig. plugged in too.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Eddie Bauer bathtub

I sometimes amuse myself. Want an Airstream with a bathtub? Get an Eddie Bauer, fold up the side couch and use a childs pool for a nice long soak. You'll need a siphon or water pump to drain it though.

As a fulltimer I sometimes do wish I could indulge in a bubble bath... now I can!

Paula
Rubber ducky, you're the one, we are having so much fun!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I sometimes amuse myself. Want an Airstream with a bathtub? Get an Eddie Bauer, fold up the side couch and use a childs pool for a nice long soak. You'll need a siphon or water pump to drain it though.

As a fulltimer I sometimes do wish I could indulge in a bubble bath... now I can!

Paula
Rubber ducky, you're the one, we are having so much fun!
I would need a crane to get me up if I decided to get down into that kind of pool. LOL!! Have fun! That is the name of the game!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 06-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #107
3 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
THE PICTURE WE ARE WAITING TO SEE....Miss Paula recumbent on a chaise lounge, a golden Mimosa in a fluted stem held just at eye level as a Virginia Beach breeze wafts her silken tresses, a wistful smile betraying her tender new love for Eddie Boy...

...save the crash pictures for much later.

Our best to the new couple. Pat and Al

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at http://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #108
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
Paula, I hope the EB exceeds your expectations in every way and that you enjoy the heck out of your new TV. I didn't see which TV you chose but I'm sure it will make you and the EB happy happy.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
HITCHed?

I've gotten several PM's from people who are sensitive to my feelings - especially after the wreck. So first, thanks for the good Karma. Think good thoughts on Friday afternoon as I wend my way across New Jersey to the Cape May Ferry (the effen weather better be mild because I refuse to blow chunks in my new truck or my new trailer... I will hang onto the rail and feed the fish if need be.)
NOTE TO SELF: Take a couple of colas along to settle the stomach - even if they fail, coke kills the acid and tastes pretty much the same even coming up.
I really feel fine, physically and emotionally. I'm not expecting to get in the truck once "Eddie Boy" is hitched and take off without a single qualm, but I've set up a route that will literally allow me to pull off at just about any point and deal with any PTSD event or unexpectedly strong reaction. Thanks for NOT mailing me any adult diapers though!
NOTE TO SELF: A box of kleenex and a big fluffy towel for the seat in the truck, In the trailer a quick change of clothing laid out and ready.
Now last words about the accident - causes and prevention

Had a Reese dual cam - The new Airstream came with a Hensley. I would have bought a Hensley or ProPride if the deal didn't include this hitch. I had 16 inch rims, Michelin tires, centramatics and regularly stopped and took breaks/naps so I wouldn't get road hypnosis. I had new rubber on the truck too, and I'd checked the air pressure in both the truck and the trailer first thing in the morning. I was quite well rested and the weather was clear for the first time in 3 days. Is it possible that I relaxed my guard because the weather WAS good? Yep, that could be a factor. It was the only day I was really enjoying the drive. I usually don't see other Airstreams on divided highways because I'm alone and need to concentrate on what is happening on my side. I do remember glancing over to the other side to see if there were other RV's on the road, and I was actively looking for a campground sign because I wanted to stop rather than push the last 200 or so miles.

I do know that something pulled me to the right and by the time I could react the whole rig was on the hard berm and the trailer wheels on the right side fell off. Whether a brake locked up on the trailer, a "road alligator" got wrapped around a trailer wheel, the trailer broke loose from the tow vehicle (It did, but when? It did buck the tailgate of the truck three times), or something that I didn't feel happened to the tow vehicle I can't tell you. The wind was also quite gusty but not excessively high - so maybe a freak strong sideways wind? It's even been suggested that my spare tire mount might have fallen and dug into the road, or an axle actually broke, or a tank strap broke, fell and dragged. Two days later when I looked at the skid marks there were some white skid marks - I think the tanks hit the road when the trailer tires went off the berm.

Bottom lining the accident - It all happened so fast I could analyze it for years and never get the "right" true, actual answer.

The only thing I know for sure is that I'm 64 and I was driving legally under the speed limit which was 70. What I do know is that my reflexes weren't fast enough to get out of trouble. If I'd been going 55 I still might have wrecked - but I ALMOST got it straight - and at 55 my chances would have been infinitely better.

I am changing hitches, I will hit the scales a lot more often than I have in the past, I will be more careful with all of the details of checking breakaway switches, chain length, hub temperature, trailer brake function... but most of all. I am slowing down.

I am now a "geezer tow" lady. My towing speed will be 55 max. I will take the road less traveled, I will pull off if my towing speed endangers or angers others. I will set a limit of 300 miles per day and DONE.

BTW - quite a while ago "Loudruff" Larry & Lou from Lorraine, OH switched to a Hensley. Larry had been a professional truck driver handling semis for over 20 years. He bought his current Airstream and the seller let him borrow the Hensley hitch to take it home. Within blocks Larry was a convert. I always meant to get around to getting a Hensley... but the money... and it's not like I tow 10K per year and... And my Airstream ended up totaled. Lesson learned. No fuss, no emotional drama, just a wry sense that Larry's testimonial alone should have convinced me to ACT not just to THINK about it.

I also know with abiding certainty that slowing down is more important than getting a ProPride or Hensley.

When I was just a little girl my mother made a remark that she thought that safety glass might actually cause people to be less afraid of driving like idiots - because they weren't going to get their heads cut off by going through the windshield. Goofy as it sounds, there may be some truth to that observation.

I was so lucky not to be hurt, Karma demands I do what I can to save someone else who might be a heck of a lot less lucky. Oh - and amazingly I was NEVER afraid I was going to be hurt. I had on the seatbelt, and for once in my life I was briefly glad I'm overweight - wedged tightly in the drivers compartment. If I were a healthy size eight, I would have rattled around in there and banged the crap out of myself. (The new truck has side curtain airbags... so screw it, I'm exercising more and eating healthier. It was no fun worrying that the EMT's might strap me on a backboard, then drop me head first down the embankment!)

Now let's close this discussion - if anything comes up that changes what I know so far, I'll share it.

Paula

May the farce be with you.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Hensley/ProPride

Thanks for the notes, Paula. We are all glad that you came through this horrible ordeal. I can't even imagine having to start again...let alone survive the crash up.
Larry and I tow with a ProPride. You are right though, we borrowed the Hensley to take the new to us Airstream to a rally in KY. After towing just a few miles, Larry was convinced. He has towed with just about everything you can name with his job and as a farmer. So upon arrival back at home we went shopping. Sean Woodruff (no relation to us BTW) was a great salesman and continues to do great customer follow up. We love the ProPride so far. Got it in 2009...lots of miles ago.

We will be thinking of you and wishing you smooth sailing on your trip to pick up the trailer. Keep us posted. Happy Fourth of July!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 07-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Paula,
I'm so sorry to hear of your misfortune, but I'm glad that you're OK! In 2002, we were en route from Calgary, AB to Banff National Park. We were driving along a divided highway where there were a number of gorges running down the mountain and perpendicular to the road. I drove through a cut in the mountain with zero cross wind immediately followed by a gorge where there was a huge cross wind component. The trailer (a 1990 34' AS) and the tow vehicle (our son's new 2002 heavy duty 3/4 ton crew cab) started fish-tailing violently. This all happened in the blink of an eye. I was able to keep the truck upright, but the trailer rolled three times or so. Luckily no one was hurt, but the emotional damage was immense! The trailer was totaled and our son's truck sustained several thousand dollars worth of damage.

We later found out that this was an area of road that had had numerous RV accidents. We too had a Reese Dual-Cam hitch. Anyway, it's mostly a distant memory, but it's the kind of thing that no one wants to repeat.

I hope that all goes well for you and again, I'm so very sorry that this happened.

Sincerely,

Steve
Old 07-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #112
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Reese , Michigan
Thumbs up Go girl go

Glad to see you are using the bad experience as a learning tool and continuing life as you want to, albeit the worst for wear but much wiser for the experience. SOME lessons are best learned by the school of hard knocks. Your moxie is an outstanding gift to have, and share with all of us. Thanks, and best wishes on down the road.