Truckee , California
I love towing with my 1 ton!!

Old 06-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
congratulations

Hi Paula
Congratulations on a beautiful trailer.....You're gonna love towing with the Hensley! Good luck on your TV search.
Dennis

Old 06-20-2013, 06:35 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I know I'm bridging threads here - but the idea of an Avalanche (2009 or newer with the 6 speed automatic, preferably the 6.0 or 6.2 liter) bridges the truck and SUV worlds very nicely. Nicest truck I had ever driven before the 2013 Ram Hemi with the 8spd automatic.

I also assume you're shopping both new and used. High truck resale and generous new incentives complicate things.

Tom
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Sorry to hear about your accident, but congrats on your new trailer. Certainly an eye-opening thread for me. Glad you're okay!

Follow our blog! http://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Before you decide, consider what would have happened if you had been towing with a lighter or smaller vehicle.! The new hitch, of course will be a great help no matter what tow vehicle you choose. Good luck, jim
Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #76
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Before you decide, consider what would have happened if you had been towing with a lighter or smaller vehicle.! The new hitch, of course will be a great help no matter what tow vehicle you choose. Good luck, jim
A better-handling vehicle with a lower center of gravity may have had a much better outcome. TV weight is a penalty, not a benefit, when it comes to keeping tires from breaking traction (once we get past 4000-lbs and 120" of wheelbase). The reason tires used on both cars and trucks are de-rated for trucks is precisely because of the rollover propensity of pickups and related SUVs. This vehicle type is the weak link in this chain of TT & TV when the TT is an Airstream and the goal is to remain upright and lane-centered under all circumstances.

Big payload capacity is the only real reason for a pickup. Distributing TW is not a problem here, especially at only 850-lbs. What the owner carries with her in the TV is the only caveat. Thus the recommendations to consult with Mr. Thomson as to the best considered range of possibilities in a TV.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #77
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's a numbers-match:

Dodge Durango R/T
Old 06-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Paula, I was wondering, once the dust settles and you find out more regarding the insurance settlement, would you please give us some perspective on how the insurance was handled? Not details, but what you learned about coverage, was it adequate, or any other details you are comfortable in sharing. Again, I am not looking for specifics to your settlement, but in general, what you would recommend to the rest of us as far as coverage goes.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Slow over, much of what you say is only opinion, regardless of what the Canadian dealer says. Repeating the same Opinions about tow vehicles enough times and many then accept them as facts, and the dealer in Canada gets rich. Just my opinion. Jim
Old 06-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
We have towed a/s 22' safari sport, 25' fc, and now 30' classic with our 05 Silverado. We'll trade next year for a 15 silverado and will most likely go with the 1500 with trailer package. May stick with 5.3 engine or possibly up to 6.0/6.2.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #81
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Slowmover, much of what you say is only opinion, regardless of what the Canadian dealer says. Repeating the same Opinions about tow vehicles enough times and many then accept them as facts, and the dealer in Canada gets rich. Just my opinion. Jim
Soon as you've towed the same large TT with car and truck let us know. My "opinion" includes both. Simple physics is easily verified independently of what anyone may say. Same as with accident/injury statistics for pickups versus cars. The "point of no return" is reached sooner with a pickup, and the consequences more serious.

Does the depth of your experience reach back more than 40-years as does mine? CAN AM only does what everyone did in the 1960's through the 1980's. There is no magic involved, but experience in terms of details of the "how to" in making a given TV its best may as well be conjuring for any one of us as we haven't sent 10k TT's down the road.

There is a range of possible TV's. If one want to be suspicious of money-making, look no farther than the OEM's trying to put everyone in a high profit pickup truck. Instead, we're better off in looking at the trade-offs in any TV.

The OP will buy what is thought best. It is the definition of "best" that needs refinement . . for once beyond payload capacity a pickup-based vehicle falls on its face in any category considered be it roadholding, economy, braking, etc. Solo miles may be 4X as many as towing . . should one run a higher risk in the main job of the vehicle? Would we advocate driving without seat belts? Statistics argue against that as surely as they point up the deficiencies of some vehicle types. Etc.

Caveat emptor, indeed.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #82
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I stand by my opinion, only remember the trucks of today are much dif than the antiques you are referring to. Much of the instability of a truck is gone when a load is added. That is how a truck is designed. Conversely, much of the handling of other vehicles is compromised when a load is added. That is proven by all the mods which need to be done just to make them marginally safe to to tow with. Jim
Old 06-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, and some people believe that a Hensley type hitch will solve all problems. If you make the same driving mistakes you did with any other hitch, you can still lose it.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Truer words were never spoken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, and some people believe that a Hensley type hitch will solve all problems. If you make the same driving mistakes you did with any other hitch, you can still lose it.
OTOH - the "mother truck" gave her life to save mine. Humans DO make mistakes... and sometimes make the same mistake over and over (Mickey Rooney married 7 times?). I'm going to try on "humble" and take a senior driving refresher - and do the one thing I know could have helped... SLOW DOWN all the time no excuses. I'll also continue to rely on the forums for that frequent well meant "reality check" it provides, and most of all I'll post on my dash the picture of me weeping against the door of poor old Foiled in the junkyard. About six months ago I dropped the right hand tires off the pavement and into a barely existing soft earth berm and recovered instantly and completely. It was a non-event ....BECAUSE IT WAS A 2 LANE BACK ROAD and I WAS DRIVING 35MPH - THE SPEED LIMIT. I was under the speed limit of 70 MPH when I lost it... but if I'd been going 55 ...
The real truth is I won't get a re-run, so I'll never know for absolute sure. BUT, a super hitch and a lower speed and perhaps that memory of the wreck that makes me focus a tad better... Let's hope a year from now I report - "not even a close one this time!"
Paula