Old 06-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Heart's desire - 27 FB in either a Serenity or Eddie Bauer.

Why not hold out for one? But what's the odds of getting either used?

Alternate plan - get that big honkin' 34 Avion for sale in NC. and use it as a park model/move two or three times a year. Eventually take it to Colin Hyde to "de-whorehouseify" the interior. Also get a teenie Airstream - or Oliver - or Casita and take it out on my favorite two day trips. I could get a much smaller tow vehicle and save gas using it as a daily driver.

Two generous members have volunteered to let me use their "Sparestreams". Thank you from the bottom of my heart. But that might encourage me to delay getting one of my own.

I'm going back to a gasser - the performance issues between the two aren't that great any more nor is the price of diesel fuel low enough to save real money. Also if I get a 27 FB, It'll be a 2500 Suburban. It's lower, I don't have to buy a bed cover, and I've got access from the side doors as well as the tail gate.

If I get a little trailer, it's a Tahoe or something in the half ton class.

So input and advice - and if you know someone who wants to unload a 27 for cheap.... you know where to find me.

Any ideas for a modified Avatar?
[*]Toiled Again - Again[*]Deja VuVu[*]Roller Girl

And there'll never be another "mother truck" so what will I do there?

Sincerely, Paula
First - I am so sorry for what you've experienced! But I have to say, I was laughing out loud at your resilient sense of humor and admiring your "get back on the horseitude" (if I can coin that as a phrase). I think you're probably tougher than me. I LOVE my Airstream and the traveling. But don't know if I'd be thinking about my next one so soon. Then again, thinking about being without one feels like a big mistake too....

Heal well and stay safe. Thanks for the inspiration!!

SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #30
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Boy, there's nothing like an accident when it comes to confronting any swiss cheese in our method of operation.

I have occasionally gone over 55 mph when towing, but will no longer do this. Will also review the placement of cargo in TV and trailer. Your cargo-net recommendation is a good one. I have seen how they load and net a cargo plane. They do that for a reason!

Anyway, glad you survived this ordeal.

easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #31
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Any ideas for a modified Avatar?
  • Toiled Again - Again
  • Deja VuVu
  • Roller Girl

Foiled Again Redux
Thrice Foiled
Triple Foiler
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Think beautiful thoughts for me... I think I found a "new to me" Airstream.

I had an epiphany - I do not want a bigger trailer. A 27 seemed like a good idea but it's just room for more sh** to accumulate. I'm getting rid of IT.

So it's a 25 FB. Don't want to say more until I've gotten approved.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #33
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sadly, this is a perfect opportunity to rid yourself of unneeded items!

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #34
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Foiled Again Redux
Thrice Foiled
Triple Foiler
I like ReFoiled, too.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Glad you are OK, Paula...thanks for sharing your experience. You are a seasoned traveler/tower ... and this reminds us all that we need to be constantly vigilant ... and even then it doesn't always matter. We are all happy and relieved you were not hurt. Your stoic and level-headed approach to a devastating event is inspiring ...
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #36

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Hey Paula. Glad to hear that you're getting back in the game. I agree that a 25 is the way to go. it's just the right size, without any extra space to accumulate junk. You may also be on the right track with the 2500 Suburban TV. As you know, we have pulled Lucy many thousands of miles with one. It's a good fit, and a Suburban is a very versatile vehicle.

We hope that your situation continues to improve, and that you will be back on the road real soon.

Warmest regards, SuEllyn and Brian
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Paula. Glad to learn you survived the incident with minimal injuries.
Having wrecked a trailer after skidding into a soft shoulder I can fully empathize with you. Your description of the event sounds remarkably similar to mine.

The Fates obviously have more in store for you, as they did for me.

If that little caned ham hadnít been totaled I never would have found that forlorn Globetrotter behind that barn. Never become involved with the Airstream life style. And never met such a diverse and interesting group of people who are the core of the Airstream Community.

It seems as if you can already feel the positive emerging from a bad experience.
Good luck and Godspeed with your next trailer and TV.

AirForums # 2806
WBCCI / VAC # 6411

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #38
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
I'm thinking "foil by the roll"
Dana and Olga
2006 Safari 23
2011 Tundra Double Cab
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I just read both threads tonight, as I was half way around the world, on a cruise ship, without WIFI. So sorry to hear about your accident, but happy to hear that you're OK. You have helped, and given great advise, to so many on this forum. I think you should not change your name, for this is what everyone knows you by.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Paula, glad your ok for sure. We had a peculiar thing happen to us last weekend on way back from hot springs Arkansas. Rough Oklahoma hwy 412 evidently caused our hitch pin keeper to remove itself from the pin itself by rotating resulting from the slop in our receiver. After crossing a bridge with rough seams, we had a jarring jolt at 62 mph. We glanced at each other, then I kicked off the cruise and slowly went the shoulder to stop. What we saw, was surprising that the entire ballmount, bars, and sway friction plate was resting on the safety chains. The ballmount shank was completely out of the receiver. That was our jolt. We disassembled everything and placed a new spare hitch pin to hold ballmount in and connected the trailer. If we hadn't stopped when we did reacting from the jarring jolt, we would have lost the trailer at a minimum. We hadn't stopped anywhere so rig was not left unattended Could someone have tampered with your hitch while you were snoozing? We have heard stories from friends who have had the car they towed messed with. Glad you will be back on the road soon
"62 ATW Overlander, '51 Flying Cloud
'67 GT, '90 Squarestream 29ft, 06 Bambi, Bigfoot slide in/GMC Denali K2500, Marathon Coach, Class A.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member
1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Paula, I join the ranks of those who have told you how glad they are that your injurys aren't as bad as they could have been. I am also pleased that you are getting back into it and wish you luck with finding the perfect trailer and TV (sounds like you are homing in on a 25 footer, hope that goes well for you).

You have survived a terrible accident, walked the site and reviewed everything you could at the scene, and have gone over it countless times in your head trying to figure it all out. There isn't much more you can do on that front. Moving forward, you already seem to be formulating a plan on not only the replacements for your rig and trailer, but on how you are going to be driving and towing them as well.

Keep up your spirits and can't wait to see what you wind up with.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member
1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
Hi Paula,
Just want to wish you a steady recovery, as like you said speed is not the order of the day anymore !
I hope you get your "new to you" trailer sorted soon, and you can be back on the road again.

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote