Old 06-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Sounds like a classic blowout scenario, probably on the truck. Usually not avoidable if road debris, etc is at fault. You did your best. Do not second guess yourself, be careful. May the Airstream gods be with you. Jim

Old 06-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
What trailer is next?

Heart's desire - 27 FB in either a Serenity or Eddie Bauer.

Why not hold out for one? But what's the odds of getting either used?

Alternate plan - get that big honkin' 34 Avion for sale in NC. and use it as a park model/move two or three times a year. Eventually take it to Colin Hyde to "de-whorehouseify" the interior. Also get a teenie Airstream - or Oliver - or Casita and take it out on my favorite two day trips. I could get a much smaller tow vehicle and save gas using it as a daily driver.

Two generous members have volunteered to let me use their "Sparestreams". Thank you from the bottom of my heart. But that might encourage me to delay getting one of my own.

TOW VEHICLE

I'm going back to a gasser - the performance issues between the two aren't that great any more nor is the price of diesel fuel low enough to save real money. Also if I get a 27 FB, It'll be a 2500 Suburban. It's lower, I don't have to buy a bed cover, and I've got access from the side doors as well as the tail gate.

If I get a little trailer, it's a Tahoe or something in the half ton class.

So input and advice - and if you know someone who wants to unload a 27 for cheap.... you know where to find me.

Any ideas for a modified Avatar?
  • Toiled Again - Again
  • Deja VuVu
  • Roller Girl

And there'll never be another "mother truck" so what will I do there?

Sincerely, Paula

Old 06-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Paula glad you are safe and seem no worse for the wear. Be sure to treat yourself good on the next truck and rig. Thank you for the debrief, it may or may not be therapeutic for you to relate the events of the accident but be assured we all benefit in a positive way from learning as much about your experience as you can provided, you may just save someone's life in the future.

BTW we love our Serenity, the interior feels calming and just aids in relaxation.

Not a Serenity but a Signature. Foley RV. Rick is a member here and I purchased my Serenity from his dealership. Talk to Joyce, Ron Lester is the sales manger and they deliver. Rick is also a Chevy dealer, one stop shop.

2010 - Airstream - INTL SIGN - 27FB - Travel Trailer - Gulfport, MS - Foley RV Center

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Used EB at jd sanders AS in Alachua Fl. But t is a 25 footer. Jim
Old 06-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
wonder if it was a rouge gust of wind.? I drove a tractor trailer some years ago, 20 + and got pushed over by wind gust myself. It was more noticeable when lightly loaded,, ie 25,000 lbs vs 79,000.

i have seen the wind come through opening in the trees blowing some 10 to 15 miles an hr faster.. my guess is a wind blast that catchs you off guard..

tough luck,, glad you are Ok for the most part... AS's come and AS's go.. but people are hard to replace..

if you don't mind my asking what was the hitch used... you mention getting a hensley or pro pride so i guess it was not one of them..??

so let the search begain.. good luck..
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you got out of it OK. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Re new Avatar......I vote for Roller Girl.

I'm betting you made headline news in Southern Illinois.

Maggie.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have been through several vehicle "incidents", both two wheel and four wheel. As it started, I think my brain figured out this was not going to be pretty and suggested turning of the mental camera during the "activities" so I do not remember the details.

I am glad you were not seriously hurt. As mentioned earlier, "Stuff" can be replaced, but you are not replaceable for friendsand family.

But having said that, that was sure a heck of a way to remodel the trailer....

All the best searching for the the next TT and TV.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm glad you're ok. Sorry about your roll--kinda freaks me out! I'm going to have words with my son-in-law who towed their 34' still whorehoused Avion to the Indiana Dunes at 70 mph! It was his 1st time towing it & he said it towed like crap. WONDER WHY?!! I'm going to make my limit 60 mph after your experience. It was 65....good luck on your search. I kinda did what you're planning to do. Got an Avion for close trips & a Bambi II for traveling. The "dewhorehousifying" comment cracked me up!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Wow Paula what a story. Interesting that you really didn't know what was the trigger. That probably with bother you the most. I know it would me. We all have things that we would do differently as you noted.

As much as I like to spend less time on the road and more at my destination, the speed thing is something I try to be cognitive of. I hold my speeds to 55-60 mph. Most of that came from a situation years ago where I had a tractor trailer in front of me that blew two trailer tires at the same time. Thank goodness I had plenty of distance between him and I (we were both traveling the same speed), and I had time to do some significant maneuvers to avoid the hunks of tire tread and side wall that were being flung in the air in front of me. At the time I was pulling a 21' Hi-Lo trailer behind my van. I didn't tow with anti-sway equipment. I whipped that trailer so hard that the items in the cabinets pushed the doors open flinging the contents all over the floor of the trailer. Thankfully because the Hi-Lo presented a very low profile and the fact that the Hi-Lo had the same exact suspension and axle system that my Airstream uses, we got one counter yaw and the trailer fell back into line with the van. Needless to say I pulled over on the shoulder of the road with me shaking from the suddenness and the pumping adrenaline. If I had been traveling the posted 70 mph limit, I doubt I could have reacted fast enough or could have had a much more violent yaw situation.

Driving a little slower I believe can be the difference in being able to avoid or staying in control in an adverse situation.

Glad you are all right. Thanks for sharing your story.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Foiled again still works - you've definitely been "foiled".
We travel 60 max. Limit goes down if it's windy. "the Joy is in the Journey".
So glad you are ok! Scary story!!

Kay
Old 06-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
I vote roller girl. Glad you can maintain your sense of humor!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I just hated reading this (and the earlier thread just now). One of our guys rolled a loaded tractor-trailer when the shoulder disappeared out from under him and he had to move over for an oncoming big load . . the trailer wanted to go down the slope and (he regrets) he didn't let the tractor "follow" it. Tried to correct, but that 2" height difference between pavement and soft grade was too much. A man with 40-years experience. It takes so little, relatively.

Keep us up to date. I'd like to help if I could.

That seems to be the cause of many tractor trailer rollovers.
How many times have I looked back and seen a puff of dust where the trailer tire hit the shoulder?
If the shoulder was muddy mush or if there was no shoulder, I could be sorting all my stuff by the side of road at best or others could be sorting it at worst.
Thank you for sharing Paula. If all of us are a little more alert, some good will come out of all of this.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
wonder if it was a rouge gust of wind.? I drove a tractor trailer some years ago, 20 + and got pushed over by wind gust myself. It was more noticeable when lightly loaded,, ie 25,000 lbs vs 79,000.

i have seen the wind come through opening in the trees blowing some 10 to 15 miles an hr faster.. my guess is a wind blast that catchs you off guard..

tough luck,, glad you are Ok for the most part... AS's come and AS's go.. but people are hard to replace..

if you don't mind my asking what was the hitch used... you mention getting a hensley or pro pride so i guess it was not one of them..??

so let the search begain.. good luck..
Reese Dual Cam