Old 06-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
Sigh. I have always thought of this forum as an oasis free of political discourse. No more, I guess. Honestly, I don't understand it, since there is a plethora of forums where folks can talk politics endlessly, if that floats their boat. Really disappointing. Many of the comments on this thread have absolutely nothing to do with Airstreams, so far as I can tell.

russingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Yeah, bloody Canadians, that want to fly their own flag!.....and higher than the Old Glory. As the 51st state of the Union, Trump should teach those yobo's some manners!

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
It was the threat of becoming part of America that spurred Canada into becoming a nation in 1867. After coming across this image used to promote a 4th of July parade in Beaverton, MI, I think our ancestors were right to be concerned!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	US Flag on Canada.png
Views:	30
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	343998  

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
I love to see flags flying. Iím a little partial to the Stars and Stripes.
Pretty positive thread for the most part, maybe it wonít get shut down. There are thousands of threads on the forum. I ignore most of them. I would think if you didnít like this thread it would be easier to ignore it than to comment on how you donít like it.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Freedom of speech includes the freedom to remain silent.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Plenty of flags to fly, or not

Run it up the pole and see if anyone salutes. Some will find it obnoxious, others will ignore it, so what.

Old glory isn't the ugliest flag out there (have you seen Maryland's flag? Nice state, just sayin!)

From a design standpoint, Canada, UK, Japan, South Korea all have very nice, clean designs. All the tri-colors of European countries are ok, but can get confusing. The Nordic countries seem to share variations on a common cross-design.

If you live in a state that just puts their state seal on the flag, well, they're just not tryin!

Got a friend who is really into flags and heraldry, there's a name for it, but I forget. He can go on for hours about it, trust me.

Nice thing about Airstreams? The aluminum shell goes with everything!
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #66
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
It was the threat of becoming part of America that spurred Canada into becoming a nation in 1867. After coming across this image used to promote a 4th of July parade in Beaverton, MI, I think our ancestors were right to be concerned!
There are more than a few Americans that remember the last time they tried to take Canada. They burnt down a few houses in Port Dover......and in response we burnt down all the public buildings in Washington DC, including the Whitehouse. IIRC, they haven't been back.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #67
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
I think that was the brits, not you.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:50 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by russingr View Post
Sigh. I have always thought of this forum as an oasis free of political discourse. No more, I guess. Honestly, I don't understand it, since there is a plethora of forums where folks can talk politics endlessly, if that floats their boat. Really disappointing. Many of the comments on this thread have absolutely nothing to do with Airstreams, so far as I can tell.

When politics injects itself into all aspects of existence, ALL issues become political.

That's another reason why liberty is superior to statism.

People are hurt because people like to fly the flag..... ponder that.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Most US citizens don't know much about the war of 1812, and how we invaded Canada. It was a crazy war that involved Red coats, Napoleon, the Spanish, Native Americans, Pirates and proto-Canadians, eh? It should be a Netflix series!

Ironically, it was also the war that gave us our National Anthem, an ode to our flag!
Old 06-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #70
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
They would be really shaking if they looked at out Airstream, inside and out, as we passed them.Attachment 343999Attachment 344000Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1561126625740.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	344001
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #71
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
I think that was the brits, not you.
Actually, most "British" soldiers service in Canada at the time were pressed conscripts. If you committed a crime in Britain and were of serviceable age, you'd be given the option of serving in Canada, Australia, or other off shore posting. 99.9% of these soldiers that survived service were eventually given land and stayed in Canada , considering themselves Canadian.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

PS I too went back to Britain as a Royal Marine for a number of years, but came to realize that Canada was my home, not Britain.

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
That French guy

Tony, indeed, it was the UK's conscription of US sailors at sea to fight against France for Britain that was one of the causes of the US congress declaring war (for the first time) against the UK.

To the British, the war of 1812 was an insignificant side show in the Napoleonic Wars
Old 06-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #73
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMike View Post
Bob, love the flag set up. Our flag pole is very similar. We use to have a 5th wheel, and used the class 3 receiver with the specified flag pole sleeve holder. But with my '18 Classic 30' I have a Propride hitch and am contemplating a "I think" same setup as yours. Do you have a plate under your jack? If so where did you get it?
Thanks. Mike
Mike

The plate & holder came with the pole.

I made the plywood board that the jack foot rests on.
Ours has a composite sleeve that fits into the tube that the poles goes into.
The new style it appears that the bottom section of the flagpole fits over the metal base with no plastic bushing insert.

Bob
🇺🇸

Oh!!! C-eh-n-eh-d-eh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_272b.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	344020  

"Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you canít."
Amanamus

"Never tow faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly"

Sweet Streams....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Mike

The plate & holder came with the pole.

I made the plywood board that the jack foot rests on.
Ours has a composite sleeve that fits into the tube that the poles goes into.
The new style it appears that the bottom section of the flagpole fits over the metal base with no plastic bushing insert.

Bob
🇺🇸
Oh!!! C-eh-n-eh-d-eh.
That is cool. Hope you don't mind if I borrow that idea. I have been trying to figure something like that.
excellent.
Flags, flagpoles and 'instapots' all in the same thread. Who would have thought that !
Have a good one
Old 06-23-2019, 08:59 AM   #75
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Bremerton , Washington
If you are going to display the flag, ensure you abide my the US flag code. What offends people like me is when people fly the flag on their cars, with no regard! I have scene the flags all tattered and dirty and it makes my blood boil! I served 20 years in the Navy, and it makes me angry.
Respect the flag!
https://www.military.com/flag-day/us-flag-code.html
Pricilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricilla View Post
If you are going to display the flag, ensure you abide my the US flag code. What offends people like me is when people fly the flag on their cars, with no regard! I have scene the flags all tattered and dirty and it makes my blood boil! I served 20 years in the Navy, and it makes me angry.
Respect the flag!
https://www.military.com/flag-day/us-flag-code.html
I like to put up flags when camping, but not on my vehicle. But that is just me. It has nothing to do with my patriotism or lack thereof.

If I were to fly a flag on my vehicle it might be this one from my original stomping ground; nobody would really care if it was not flown correctly and no body would really care about disrespect anyway.

https://www.flagsexpo.com/main/Uploa...6-82fdc5167956
Old 11-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagonda29 View Post
This is a rediculous post for the Airstream Forum. Stay focused on the subject of Airstreams
It is when ur flyin Ol' Glory on or near your AS. Good to know theses things (flag etiquette).
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:31 PM   #78
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If we're staying for more than a couple of days I'll put out the flag holder. I made the one that you usually see, pvc pipe on a piece of rebar. I'll fly the flag if the weather is decent (no rain and reasonable winds) and I'll be home at sunset to take it down.

Of course, this assumes that I can get the rebar pounded into the ground in the first place.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:43 AM   #79
You'll Never Walk Alone

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Deroche , British Columbia
I have my flag in the back window of my Airstream. I live in Canada (ya people in other countries own Airstreams too and are on AirForums). I could fly a Canadian flag but mine is The Union Jack, just a nod to my origins, the UK, just a simple nod nothing more. There are many from different people here on AirForms and many different friends that live in Seattle and surrounding area, I lived there for awhile and it is great to visit, I get treated well. I also have friends in NYC, LA, Montana. Some of these friends express themselves with flags some don't but they are all good people. Some are immigrants some are born in US and I have had good talks with many homeless citizens of the US too. So not flying or flying a flag should not a tool to decide who is better citizen.
You might say AirForums is international. There are many from different countries here. So I could include many links here for international airstream dealers in the UK and Europe and Airstream getaways like this one in France
"BelRepayre Airstream & Retro Trailer Park"
Maybe they fly the French flags on the ones they let people stay in, maybe the US flag to give it a true Airstream experience, I duno but I am sure they have fun enjoying the experience and are not worse individuals for not flying a flag.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:18 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

Villa Park , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagonda29 View Post
This is a rediculous post for the Airstream Forum. Stay focused on the subject of Airstreams
So this website is all about Airstream travel trailers, got it. However, this particular forum is the Off Topic Forum, indicating that it is about anything and everything besides Airstreams. Got it?
Were you a hall monitor or a junior crossing guard as a kid? A stickler for the rules, did you write little tickets for your classmates if they even dreamed of breaking some mundane rule? Relax.

drmox is offline   Reply With Quote