Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Because I camp without electric most of the time, I am looking for a solar light that lasts all night to light my flag.

Does anybody use one?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I would agree that some do not know protocol. I see many flags at night without lights. But is it better to fly an unlit flag at night vs not flying one at all? This is not a statement. This is a question.
Let's give this some thought. Whom are we trying to please? There is published etiquette for flying the US flag and for that matter flying other countries' flags in the USA. However they don't carrying the force of law. There is etiquette for all kinds of things in our society. Some have a purpose and some don't. Some are commonly followed, some are nearly universally ignored.
In the case of flag etiquette (which I am very well acquainted with having been in Boy Scouts, the US Navy, and having worked nearly 40 years for the US government), I follow it as closely as is convenient. For instance I do not light the US flag, if I leave it up at night. My logic is if you can see it in the dark, then obviously it is lighted by something. If you can't see it it, what the heck difference does it make if its up or not. I don't think I'm hurting its feelings.

Ken

Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Let's give this some thought. Whom are we trying to please? There is published etiquette for flying the US flag and for that matter flying other countries' flags in the USA. However they don't carrying the force of law. There is etiquette for all kinds of things in our society. Some have a purpose and some don't. Some are commonly followed, some are nearly universally ignored.
In the case of flag etiquette (which I am very well acquainted with having been in Boy Scouts, the US Navy, and having worked nearly 40 years for the US government), I follow it as closely as is convenient. For instance I do not light the US flag, if I leave it up at night. My logic is if you can see it in the dark, then obviously it is lighted by something. If you can't see it it, what the heck difference does it make if its up or not. I don't think I'm hurting its feelings.

Ken
I agree, I was also a Boy Scout and feel the flag should be appropriately respected, but there is a limit to the inconvenience I am willing to endure to follow proper etiquette.

Unfortunately I've had some bad experriences with people interested in correcting my flag flying. The worst case I know of was one of my parents neighbours in florida who left them a nasty unsigned letter indicating how offended he was and explaining (incorrectly) the proper arrangement when flying a foreign flag. My father had put up a Canadian Flag on his garage door, on CANADA DAY!

Part flag etiquette should include how to approach someone who's doing it wrong. As long as you're not flying it upside down, draging it on the ground or using it as a table cloth, I won't be bothered enough to comment.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I too would rather see a Patriot fly the flag rather than be so intimidated by adherence to anal "rules" and not show the flag. I welcome any respectful and reasonable display of the flag by any person for any country. Lighted or not.

And this goes for our Canadians visitors too.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We often fly 6 different flags at once, strongly patriotic with 58 years Navy service between us. We try to follow flag etiquette as much as reasonable.

I have seen flag lighting arrangements that poorly do the job, just a commercial effort to say, yup it's lighted. I would rather see a flag up with no artificial light than one of those "punch the ticket" efforts.

Most of all I like to see the flag displayed and in good condition as often as possible, not particularly impressed with seeing it as part of a political statement. That's what bumper stickers are for.

doug k
Old 01-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
I tried several different solar lights, they would not burn all night and of course depended on the sun for charging. Sometimes cloudy, many times shady. Tried a 110v, didn't like dragging out a drop cord and sometimes no power anyway. Finally settled on the 12v low voltage spot light from Lowes, $5.

I made a holder for the light that attaches to the hitch latch, and power it from the wire running to the light on the jack post. Use a water proof connector to unplug it for traveling.

I have never been in the Service but I do love this country and our flags. I fly them every time we go out. The pole holder I make is a result of my wanting to keep'em flying AND look good doing it.

I will try to post some pictures tomorrow. It works really well and is easy to do.

John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
As a side note we use John's (sandpaper) flag holder. It is extremely well designed and crafted, 3 poles or 5 poles. It is done so well Airstream should offer it as an accessory. Choose the 5 pole holder, and fly as many as you wish.

doug k
Old 01-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #22
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
As a side note we use John's (sandpaper) flag holder. It is extremely well designed and crafted, 3 poles or 5 poles. It is done so well Airstream should offer it as an accessory. Choose the 5 pole holder, and fly as many as you wish.

doug k
I recognize the US flag in your avatar.

What are the others?

Ken
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I usually take it down for the night. Since I fly 3 flags at a time from a collection of 3 dozen or so. I take the flags in at night so I can quickly put 3 new ones in the morning. If I don't take my US flag down in the eve I don't worry about it....after all wasn't the anthem written about our flag 'still being there in the dawn's early light'.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06936.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	176743  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Ken, my wife and I are both Navy retired. In this photo are First (and current) Navy Jack, Minnesota, U.S., Ohio (her birthplace), and Navy flag. I suppose the Navy Jack should be at the stern of our "ship" while in port, but John doesn't have a flagpole holder for that.

doug k
Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
With all due respect, does anybody know who wrote the rules? Was it George Washington? Moses? J.C.? What does The British Navy do with old flags. Just wondering. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers View Post
We have a solar lite that fits the top of the poles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for. Who makes it, where can I find one, and will it fit on the top of my Camco flag pole?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I have tried a couple different solar lights but they don't last the night.
Does yours?
If so, I would love to know more about it.
I plan to give this a try.... (shop around though). Not sure we have enough light to keep it lit all night at some of the sites we frequent.

Our pole telescopes, I have been collapsing the pole and rolling the flags around it at night.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01915.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	176768  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Doug, I have given thought to adding a single, "auxiliary" holder to the front of the holder, similiar to the type used on the front porch at home. It could be pop riveted on, one of the reasons I wanted the front of the holder to be flat. The flat front gives the option of installing a light, or a single additional holder, decal, name/numbers, etc.

The $5 light I use from Lowes works great but at 5 bucks, not sure just yet it's the one I want to install permantely. I am hesitant to drill those holes just yet. I did use some blue electrical tape to add a blue stripe at the top and bottom of the holder to mimic the blue stripe on my trailer.

Pictures later today.

John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #28
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey, if your solar powered light doesn't last all night that's OK by me. I probably will not be awake to notice !!!

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote