Old 03-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
Fleetwood has managed to get loans to carry them through till December, this shoring up may be one of the requirements to remain viable, I imagine their MH line will also be go through great change - they are coming up with an electric/cummins unit that should come out in the Fall.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I'm curious who's going to take over the iconic Coleman pop-up line.

2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle View Post
I'm curious who's going to take over the iconic Coleman pop-up line.
It appears that an equity group (Blackstreet Capital) over sees the Coleman line now.. News | Coleman Trailers
Old 03-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
It appears that an equity group (Blackstreet Capital) over sees the Coleman line now.. News | Coleman Trailers
I remember a lawsuit by Coleman with Fleetwood as the defendant a few years ago. Coleman wanted Fleetwood to stop using Coleman's name on Fleetwood's pop-ups. I guess they won the suit.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
My husband and I have given some thought to what we would do if either one of us lost our job. We feel very lucky to have an Argosy and an Airstream paid for, land at the lake paid for and some land in town that I have owned for years. If times get really bad for us, we can live in the 31ft on paid for land and let the house go. We don't want to do this, but now days it's something to consider. I feel fortunate when I see news stories of people living in tents or in their cars. I know that will not have to be me because I have an Airstream. It's an old Airstream, actually two old Airstreams, but I am darn happy to have them. I have trailers that have held up for years and should see me through this crisis.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
This is not a recession, it feels like a mini-depression.
How do we get out of this?
It looks worse every day....
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #21
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
As a student of human nature, I feel that as things pick up, the pendulum will swing full cycle and people will feel as empowered as they feel defeated right now and they will fall back into the cycle of conspicuous consumption. Airstreamers on the whole don't fall into this category. We don't purchase our Airstreams to impress the guy in the campsite next to us. If that were the case, the A-liner would have been the best selling Airstream model to come off the line. But I do think that people will fall back into the "got to have it bigger and better than the next guy". It was Americans, after all, that invented the keeping up with the Joneses mentality. Will that bring back Fleetwood towables? Probably not. Will it bring back our lifestyles of five years ago? Probably.

How do we get out of this? Stop listening to the negative propaganda coming out of the White House. It serves one purpose: get as much of the President's agenda passed under the rouse that the economy will slide into the Great Depression Part Deux before the economy actually turns around on its own like the majority of economist say it will without any of the President's policies. Without all the doom-n-gloom talk coming from the President, there wouldn't be a great impetus to pass the Presidents agenda. Without the President's agenda, the economy will turn around on its own and emerge much stronger without his agenda...but, the President won't have his agenda in place.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Will Monaco and Fleetwood Products die on the vine? OR......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbambi View Post
Fleetwood has managed to get loans to carry them through till December, this shoring up may be one of the requirements to remain viable, I imagine their MH line will also be go through great change - they are coming up with an electric/cummins unit that should come out in the Fall.
I wonder who is going to buy the Monaco Empire?

I wonder who will pick up the Fleetwood Travel Trailer lines?

I wonder
Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
I lost my job at the end of December. I finally have a job interview on Thursday (700 miles from home) and probably another next week. When I get a job we will focus on becoming debt free, and won't be buying stuff!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Minnie's Mate, I agree with you about the doom and gloom, although I don't lay it all at the steps of the White House. It seems so simple, yet so complicated at the same time. The simple part is that because so much of our economy is based on people buying stuff, all folks need to do is feel secure enough about their jobs etc. to go out and buy a new car/house etc. The complicated part is getting people to that point while folks all around them seem to be losing their jobs.

I feel lucky so far in keeping my job, as folks in my division have or will be losing their jobs. These weren't bad people, these weren't lazy people, just not needed in these days and times It almost makes you feel a bit guilty if you get to keep yours. I guess some of that is luck, some of that is the type of job I do, and I like to think that some of it was making myself useful (although a lot of the laid off folks were plenty useful too!) I was talking to my boss today and he was asking why I was worried about my job as I know I will be keeping it. I told him, short term I was not worried, but I know they will go through this parsing again in the future. I am lucky that I live near D.C. which has a lower unemployment rate than much of the rest of the country (thanks to big govt.). There are still a number of job openings, especially with the govt. although not nearly has many openings as there were during the good times and a lot of folks still can't find jobs. I don't know what is must be like in places like Elkhart where the unemployment rate is about 3 times higher. My heart goes out to those folks and to everyone else who has found themselves unemployed. Keep your chin up, you will prevail in the end.

Ben Stein gave a good editorial on CBS's Sunday Morning this week, where he basically said, the sooner we can make ourselves feel better, the sooner we will get out of this. It's just getting to the feel good part that is hard....how do you get there. He basically said (what I have said sarcastically) the Govt. should just lie (in not so many words) and tell us everything will be better in 12 months. Folks would then begin to feel better and the economy would come out of the tailspin. Seems like it would be kind of hard to tell that to the folks at Fleetwood, Monaco etc. that have lost their jobs. How are they supposed to feel better, but yet, that is what it is going to take for us to move forward.

Being someone who loves his toys (but has not milked is equity and such dry to get them), I think in the future, as I said earlier in this thread, that I will tend to keep my debt levels down and will work towards getting my home paid off. I think about how, if I owned my home free and clear in this current economy, I would worry a lot less (fortunately I am not underwater and still have a good deal of equity cushion).

Seems like everyone is scratching there heads about this whole mess. We should have seen it coming. The Tech bubble was a good warning about overheated markets. In this case it was real estate.

I think I need a nice trip to Assateague, maybe this weekend if it 's not too cold (I'd like to ride my bike while I'm there). These solo trips to the beach (my wife and daughter are busy the next couple of weekends) always ground me and help to recharge my batteries. Thankfully diesel fuel has dropped so I don't feel so bad about the 360 RT cost wise.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Soyboy, you and I are pretty much on the same page. People are fearful because all of the doom and gloom coming from the White House. We should be getting the pep talks from the White House to make us feel better so we can start the economic engine up again. But my contention is that if the economy rebounds too fast, it will stifle the President's agenda. He made many promises during the campaign and he had to get the stimulus passed under the guise that the economy would crash without it before the economy started its rebound or else there would be no need for the stimulus plan and that would be a promise he couldn't keep. President Obama didn't read the 1100+ pages of the stimulus package, no one did except the conservative media. I don't think he knew what it contained. All that was important was that it get passed before we realized we were better off without it. Today he signed an executive order reversing the ban on tax payer dollars being spent on stem cell research. Another campaign promise kept. He is in the keeping promises phase of his presidency and isn't in the being president phase of his presidency yet. This is to establish his credibility.

The important thing is that much of this deep recession is psychological and the recovery will also be psychological. The masses will wipe their collective brows and say "we survived the recession, let celebrate with that nice new ________."
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
I lost my job at the end of December. I finally have a job interview on Thursday (700 miles from home) and probably another next week. When I get a job we will focus on becoming debt free, and won't be buying stuff!
Good luck with the interviews. I've been there, done that. Last time was when my division was "outsourced" and the 11 people that worked for me and I were laid off without warning. I was out of work for 9-1/2 months and we weren't in a recession. Specialization isn't always a good thing.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
As many did in the Great Depression, I am sure there will be a return to the use of trailers and trailer parks for economical housing. In an Airstream, the living would be better than a white box (Argosy excluded).
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Fleetwood files Chapter 11

According to RV Business.com

Fleetwood has filed Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Dang....

Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote