Old 11-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm1oqrz View Post
Hello fellow Streamers. Hello fellow flashlight junkies. Can anyone tell me how to get apart a 5 D call mag lite as the batteries leaked and swelled up so they are stuck. I tried banging it down hard on the open end and I got 2 out but no luck on the rest.
Have ordered some led flashlight from China that use 3.7V lithium rechargable batteries. One of them is a 2 cell 3.7V but it comes with a barrell extension to make it a 3 cell 3.7V, very bright.
May all your beams be straight and true
Happy camping nm1oqrz
If it's loose duct tape.
If it's stuck WD40

....or possibly Arm & Hammer solution.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Anyone try the LED conversion for their older Mag's?

Pretty good reviews.

Bob
Hi, I bought a generic LED bulb for my 5 "D" cell Maglight and it works pretty good; The beam isn't the same as with a regular bulb, but OK. [Generic was much cheaper than Maglight brand LED]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm1oqrz View Post
Hello fellow Streamers. Hello fellow flashlight junkies. Can anyone tell me how to get apart a 5 D call mag lite as the batteries leaked and swelled up so they are stuck. I tried banging it down hard on the open end and I got 2 out but no luck on the rest.
Hi, I have drilled or punched a hole in the battery and used a small slide hammer to pull some out. Or sometimes a small metal pick with an angled point.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #18

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I have noticed in the last couple of years that I experience lots of leaky batteries. This was something that seemed common in the 70s and early 80s, but I just didn't experience it for 20 years or so.

I wonder if more energy-efficient devices let the batteries hang around longer? I just had to clean some goo out of the indoor unit of my home NIST clock/weather station because one of the batteries puked in there. I also discovered that I need AAs on my Costco list for the weekend! I have plenty of AAAs but I've used all the AAs. The leaky AA had a Mar 2017 "use by" date, by the way.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Helena , Central Montana
Look for a Light at the End of the Tunnel. That is one that you don't have to change.

My wife has a bazillion small LED reading lights that use 3 AAA's in each. We buy batteries in a brick because of her ability to fall asleep without turning them off. It would be an extreme rare occasion if a battery in our house leaked.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I sent a pm but should post this response.....

You all know about the candlepower forums right?
Its for the Clark Griswalds of the flashlight world.
How many here use a liquid cooled carbon arc retrofitted maglight?
Old 11-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I have noticed in the last couple of years that I experience lots of leaky batteries. This was something that seemed common in the 70s and early 80s, but I just didn't experience it for 20 years or so.

I wonder if more energy-efficient devices let the batteries hang around longer? I just had to clean some goo out of the indoor unit of my home NIST clock/weather station because one of the batteries puked in there. I also discovered that I need AAs on my Costco list for the weekend! I have plenty of AAAs but I've used all the AAs. The leaky AA had a Mar 2017 "use by" date, by the way.
I wonder if it is the device draw? I know I have had somethings get turned on the deep draw seems to cause the batteries to leak. I just had to clean up a headlamp that I keep in my tool bag, it had fallen into the bottom and something was sitting on the switch, fortunately the body on it is plastic so it cleaned up pretty well.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #22
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Hello, my name is Jim and I too have a Flashlight Fetish. My last encounter with a Flashlight was about an hour ago. You see, we went camping up in the mountains last weekend to look at the leaves and I misplaced the Maglight somewhere in all the confusion. I searched for two days and finally found it. There it was in the door pocket of the truck, right where I left it. When is the next "AAA" meeting again?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Hello, my name is Jim and I too have a Flashlight Fetish. My last encounter with a Flashlight was about an hour ago. You see, we went camping up in the mountains last weekend to look at the leaves and I misplaced the Maglight somewhere in all the confusion. I searched for two days and finally found it. There it was in the door pocket of the truck, right where I left it. When is the next "AAA" meeting again?

Jim
Now that's some funny stuff there...
Old 11-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post

I wonder if it is the device draw? I know I have had somethings get turned on the deep draw seems to cause the batteries to leak. I just had to clean up a headlamp that I keep in my tool bag, it had fallen into the bottom and something was sitting on the switch, fortunately the body on it is plastic so it cleaned up pretty well.

Aaron
Perhaps the fact that low-current devices like led flashlights and small electronics can continue to function when an incandescent flashlight would be so dim that it's useless? It's happened to 3 different led flashlights and my Lacrosse weather station/atomic clock receiver so far.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #25
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Perhaps the fact that low-current devices like led flashlights and small electronics can continue to function when an incandescent flashlight would be so dim that it's useless? It's happened to 3 different led flashlights and my Lacrosse weather station/atomic clock receiver so far.
That would make sense, though I have had it happen to a Maglite that is not LED.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I know that I'm not the only flashlight junky out there. I have several types and kinds of flashlights all around my house and trailer. This all happened within two days or less. (1.) My nightstand flashlight was weak and needed new "D" batteries. (2.) My Maglight rechargeable got weak and the battery pack started to leak. [had to clean battery chamber] New battery pack on order. (3.) My Streamlight pen light got weak and needed new batteries "AAAA". (4.) My Streamlight Junior got weak and needed new "AA" batteries; It also had leakage and had to be cleaned. (5.) My Maglight "AAA" light stopped working and the batteries were also leaking. I haven't saved that one yet, but working on it. Now I have to check my other dozen or so flashlights for weak and leaking batteries. Never know when I might need them. All of these, except one was a light that I needed as I was working on my projects.
Robert,
I was sorry to hear of the power loss from your lighting instruments. As

you are aware, many silver traveling vehicles are equipped with primitive

power management systems. This often results in the need to absorb

power from any available source to maintain operations and continue the

journey. I am currently working on a device to alleviate that issue.

Yours truly,
Dr. Emmett Brown
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Anyone try the LED conversion for their older Mag's?

Pretty good reviews.

Bob
I, too, share the FF (flashlight fetish). In the last two weeks, I've upgraded two of my Maglites from incandescent to LED. I even documented it, ha.

Here's the 3 D-cell mag, about 15 yrs old, on incandescent.

Same light, 3 minutes later. I can't believe the difference.

Hitting my neighbor's house, about 40' away.

I was so impressed that I did the conversion on my mini mag as well.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up WOW what a difference, that seals the deal.....but....

...it's a little like choosing from what's available for the AS when your ready to switch to LEDs.

Think I'll try these two to start with...

TerraLUX TLE-6EX MiniStar5 140 Lumens Extreme LED Replacement Bulb for 4-6 C&D Cell MagLites - Amazon.com

TerraLUX TLE-6EXB MiniStar5 140 Lumens, Led Conversion Kit for 2-3 Cell C&D MagLites - Amazon.com

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote