Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Paradise Valley , Arizona
Can't get em much cheaper than this and Pharmgeek a good way to spend your Amazon dollars.

Amazon.com: Rhode Island Novelty Yard Flamingos - Set of 2: Baby
kmaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
lol, now there is an idea...I need me some pink flamingo capris to match the flamingo purse......for my wife.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #23

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have my own personal story of a lifelong association with Flamingos. In more recent years they have come back to haunt me because of my Airstream interest.

I grew up in the 50' and 60's in Miami Heights, an old neighborhood right across the Miami River from downtown Miami, Florida. The house that we lived in was built in 1915, and had a basement which is very uncommon for house in Miami. The neighborhood was comprised of houses from the same era. Many of these houses, including ours, had an abundance of various yard art which always included at least one Pink Flamingo. Most were of the plaster variety in those days and were hand painted. Also common in the old neighborhood were Flamingos made of aluminum which adorned the front screen door on many of the homes. Yard art was quite prolific in Miami in those days.

As I moved into my teen years, I started to look at the traditional Miami yard art as tacky. I guess that it is a right of passage for a young man to perceive his parents' style as being in bad taste. I clearly remember thinking how embarrassing it was to have all that "junk" in our front yard.

My parents passed on and I moved away. I had long forgotten about the Pink Flamingos. Then in my fifties, I got an Airstream Travel Trailer, and realized that Pink Flamingos were part of the Airstream lore. A flood of memories came rushing back to me from my childhood, and I embraced the Pink Flamingo connection probably more than most Airstreamers do.

Our dear Lucy is adorned with Flamingos, inside and out. For me, they bring back warm memories of a simpler time and place. What I wouldn't give to be able to walk through Miami Heights in 1955 for a few moments, and take in the ambiance and the yard art of those days.

Please excuse my regressions.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4375.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	192764   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6886.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	192765  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6953.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	192766   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1200.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	526.8 KB
ID:	192767  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Brian, I love your story! My grandparents lived in the Miami area in the late fifties and early sixties ( they hated cold weather and moved long before retirement age) and I fondly remember the yard art around where they live. I have always liked flamingos and the Airstream gave me an excuse to get some.
Debbie
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
as it relates to pink...did you all know that until like the 40's, it was never a color distinguished as particularly "feminine"....marketers in the 40's ive read were deciding on how to market different clothing....at first it was proposed that blue be more feminine and pink more masculine...but it was later changed....before that, babies were put in all white dresses (including boys)....interesting the idea of social constructs:

When Did Girls Start Wearing Pink? | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian Magazine

“The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.”

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote