Old 08-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
FL to NV - Oh the fun of moving

Well, it's time for me to start packing. I scored the job in Reno and am thinking about my cross-country trek. I am considering leaving The Silver Olive behind to (instead) pull an enclosed trailer with all my other worldly possessions. I'll pick up my A/S in the spring!

I haven't decided on the exact route - probably the most southerly though. If anyone has any advice on route, please pass it on. My concerns are (1) grade/elevation/mountains and (2) time. Would like to pull this off within 5 days. I hate driving!

I've been offered a 24' enclosed aluminum car trailer weighing 3600 lbs to move my stuff. I believe my tow capacity is 8000 lbs, 3:73 axle w/heavy duty tow package. Moving just a 2 bedroom house, so I expect to be beneath the tow weight. However, I do have some concerns about it... not knowing the route and grades that I'll encounter. Any advice on this?

Man, I have a lot to do in 20 days! Shucks.

Laura

Old 08-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Is it just you moving, or is there somebody else to either help drive or drive a second vehicle? When we moved from CA to NC, I towed the Airstream (loaded with our clothes, and many personal and household items), and Marie drove the pickup, loaded, with a U-Haul trailer behind, with the furniture and balance of our stuff. We took 5 days @500 miles per day, and spent nights in the Airstream at truck stops and campgrounds, alternating every other night between each.
Save your receipts for gas and lodging, as relocating for a job is tax deductible.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Check out ABF upack.com. You pack their truck trailer with your goods and only pay by the foot used and close off with a partition. They load the rest of the trailer with freight and move your stuff for you. In about a week, they drop off their trailer with your stuff (sans freight) and you unpack. Works great, nothing damaged, and far cheaper than a U-Haul rental plus gas and motels.

Then you can take a leisurely 6-7 day drive across country with the AS and enjoy the trip.

Worked great. FL to CO.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Is it just you moving, or is there somebody else to either help drive or drive a second vehicle? When we moved from CA to NC, I towed the Airstream (loaded with our clothes, and many personal and household items), and Marie drove the pickup, loaded, with a U-Haul trailer behind, with the furniture and balance of our stuff. We took 5 days @500 miles per day, and spent nights in the Airstream at truck stops and campgrounds, alternating every other night between each.
Save your receipts for gas and lodging, as relocating for a job is tax deductible.
Just me moving with my dog. Thus, an opportunity to only tow one trailer.

Mojo --- got an estimate for upack = $3643. Yikes. I know that sounds minimal for a cross-country trek, but using the 24' car trailer is FREE - with the exception of increased fuel cost.

Laura
Old 08-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
So, anyone got some advice on the ROUTE I should consider for this cross-country trip? Right now the only *tool* I have is google maps. There has to be some other resources, right?

Laura
Old 08-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I've always enjoyed using an old-fashioned road atlas for long trips. You can see the elevations of all mt. passes, and figure the mileage. Sounds like you want to get to Reno as fast and as easily as possible, which typically means using the interstate highway system. The most southerly route would be I-10 all the way to California, where you could pick up I-5 northbound, to I-80 into Reno.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Just me moving with my dog. Thus, an opportunity to only tow one trailer.

Mojo --- got an estimate for upack = $3643. Yikes. I know that sounds minimal for a cross-country trek, but using the 24' car trailer is FREE - with the exception of increased fuel cost.

Laura
Remember, you're going to spend about half that amount JUST ON FUEL for the extra round trip. Never mind wear/tear on the tow vehicle, tires, food, lodging and time.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Welcome to Northern Nevada! You won't miss the humidity at all, but our lakes are cold. Only a few dozen ski areas to choose from. Lots of interesting events to do around here too. Summer time I'd go a northern route, winter I'd go a southern route.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
What's the new job?
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You can take I75 to I10, then take 10 to I55. Take 55 North to Memphis, then I40 to Flagstaff, where you can visit the painted desert, petrified forest, and grand canyon. I forget what Interstate heads to Reno from that point, and Google is not my friend with text apps rather than maps for my iPhone.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Remember, you're going to spend about half that amount JUST ON FUEL for the extra round trip. Never mind wear/tear on the tow vehicle, tires, food, lodging and time.
No round trip... trailer will stay in NV! And when sold, will return the cash o'-la to the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Welcome to Northern Nevada! You won't miss the humidity at all, but our lakes are cold. Only a few dozen ski areas to choose from. Lots of interesting events to do around here too. Summer time I'd go a northern route, winter I'd go a southern route.
Why the difference in route? The views? I am trying to avoid any steep grades/inclines to be easy on the truck!
I already saw some of the fun associated with Hot August Nights! Can't wait for the air races!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
What's the new job?
Ahhh, the new job. It's working on a private ranch about 20 miles north-east of Reno --- will be caring for horses and an orchard. Lots of future opportunities associated with the gig. Rocket Ranch to Western Ranch!

Laura
Old 08-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Re: no round trip: You're still going to have to round-trip with the tow vehicle, I'm guessing it doesn't beat 20 mpg by much (if any) even when not towing. If the federal mileage rate is any valid estimate of what it costs to operate a motor vehicle, that's about $2800 worth these days. It will get you out of 1 winter of winterizing the trailer. Will you be able to store the trailer for free in FL?

Oh and re: taking the northern route in the summer: Check out the weather along I10 or I20. I'd like to be a LONG way north of north Texas right now.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Re: no round trip: You're still going to have to round-trip with the tow vehicle, I'm guessing it doesn't beat 20 mpg by much (if any) even when not towing. If the federal mileage rate is any valid estimate of what it costs to operate a motor vehicle, that's about $2800 worth these days. It will get you out of 1 winter of winterizing the trailer. Will you be able to store the trailer for free in FL?

Oh and re: taking the northern route in the summer: Check out the weather along I10 or I20. I'd like to be a LONG way north of north Texas right now.
So, yes ... continued FREE indoor storage of trailer in FL!! But... new development... a friend just offered to drive a UHaul truck (she has a free ticket to burn before Sept 10 to fly home with) so that I can tow my beloved Silver Olive with me out west! I hadn't actually considered that. Wow. Course, the A/S would need new tires to make that drive. $$$ Lots to think about.
So, though the weather will be nicer on the norther route, would I expect to encounter any difficult inclines/mountains?

Laura
Old 08-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
So, anyone got some advice on the ROUTE I should consider for this cross-country trip? Right now the only *tool* I have is google maps. There has to be some other resources, right?

Laura
Laura,

Google maps can show elevation. In Maps mode, just hover your cursor over the little square in the top right corner of the map that says "Satellite". A flyout box will open and you can check "Terrain" to see how bumpy the world is where you're going.

Doesn't seem to be anything mountainous till after Albuquerque.