Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
FL to NV - Oh the fun of moving

Well, it's time for me to start packing. I scored the job in Reno and am thinking about my cross-country trek. I am considering leaving The Silver Olive behind to (instead) pull an enclosed trailer with all my other worldly possessions. I'll pick up my A/S in the spring!

I haven't decided on the exact route - probably the most southerly though. If anyone has any advice on route, please pass it on. My concerns are (1) grade/elevation/mountains and (2) time. Would like to pull this off within 5 days. I hate driving!

I've been offered a 24' enclosed aluminum car trailer weighing 3600 lbs to move my stuff. I believe my tow capacity is 8000 lbs, 3:73 axle w/heavy duty tow package. Moving just a 2 bedroom house, so I expect to be beneath the tow weight. However, I do have some concerns about it... not knowing the route and grades that I'll encounter. Any advice on this?

Man, I have a lot to do in 20 days! Shucks.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Is it just you moving, or is there somebody else to either help drive or drive a second vehicle? When we moved from CA to NC, I towed the Airstream (loaded with our clothes, and many personal and household items), and Marie drove the pickup, loaded, with a U-Haul trailer behind, with the furniture and balance of our stuff. We took 5 days @500 miles per day, and spent nights in the Airstream at truck stops and campgrounds, alternating every other night between each.
Save your receipts for gas and lodging, as relocating for a job is tax deductible.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Check out ABF upack.com. You pack their truck trailer with your goods and only pay by the foot used and close off with a partition. They load the rest of the trailer with freight and move your stuff for you. In about a week, they drop off their trailer with your stuff (sans freight) and you unpack. Works great, nothing damaged, and far cheaper than a U-Haul rental plus gas and motels.

Then you can take a leisurely 6-7 day drive across country with the AS and enjoy the trip.

Worked great. FL to CO.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Is it just you moving, or is there somebody else to either help drive or drive a second vehicle? When we moved from CA to NC, I towed the Airstream (loaded with our clothes, and many personal and household items), and Marie drove the pickup, loaded, with a U-Haul trailer behind, with the furniture and balance of our stuff. We took 5 days @500 miles per day, and spent nights in the Airstream at truck stops and campgrounds, alternating every other night between each.
Save your receipts for gas and lodging, as relocating for a job is tax deductible.
Just me moving with my dog. Thus, an opportunity to only tow one trailer.

Mojo --- got an estimate for upack = $3643. Yikes. I know that sounds minimal for a cross-country trek, but using the 24' car trailer is FREE - with the exception of increased fuel cost.

Laura
Old 08-11-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
So, anyone got some advice on the ROUTE I should consider for this cross-country trip? Right now the only *tool* I have is google maps. There has to be some other resources, right?

Laura
Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I've always enjoyed using an old-fashioned road atlas for long trips. You can see the elevations of all mt. passes, and figure the mileage. Sounds like you want to get to Reno as fast and as easily as possible, which typically means using the interstate highway system. The most southerly route would be I-10 all the way to California, where you could pick up I-5 northbound, to I-80 into Reno.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Just me moving with my dog. Thus, an opportunity to only tow one trailer.

Mojo --- got an estimate for upack = $3643. Yikes. I know that sounds minimal for a cross-country trek, but using the 24' car trailer is FREE - with the exception of increased fuel cost.

Laura
Remember, you're going to spend about half that amount JUST ON FUEL for the extra round trip. Never mind wear/tear on the tow vehicle, tires, food, lodging and time.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Welcome to Northern Nevada! You won't miss the humidity at all, but our lakes are cold. Only a few dozen ski areas to choose from. Lots of interesting events to do around here too. Summer time I'd go a northern route, winter I'd go a southern route.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
What's the new job?
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can take I75 to I10, then take 10 to I55. Take 55 North to Memphis, then I40 to Flagstaff, where you can visit the painted desert, petrified forest, and grand canyon. I forget what Interstate heads to Reno from that point, and Google is not my friend with text apps rather than maps for my iPhone.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Remember, you're going to spend about half that amount JUST ON FUEL for the extra round trip. Never mind wear/tear on the tow vehicle, tires, food, lodging and time.
No round trip... trailer will stay in NV! And when sold, will return the cash o'-la to the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Welcome to Northern Nevada! You won't miss the humidity at all, but our lakes are cold. Only a few dozen ski areas to choose from. Lots of interesting events to do around here too. Summer time I'd go a northern route, winter I'd go a southern route.
Why the difference in route? The views? I am trying to avoid any steep grades/inclines to be easy on the truck!
I already saw some of the fun associated with Hot August Nights! Can't wait for the air races!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
What's the new job?
Ahhh, the new job. It's working on a private ranch about 20 miles north-east of Reno --- will be caring for horses and an orchard. Lots of future opportunities associated with the gig. Rocket Ranch to Western Ranch!

Laura
Old 08-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Re: no round trip: You're still going to have to round-trip with the tow vehicle, I'm guessing it doesn't beat 20 mpg by much (if any) even when not towing. If the federal mileage rate is any valid estimate of what it costs to operate a motor vehicle, that's about $2800 worth these days. It will get you out of 1 winter of winterizing the trailer. Will you be able to store the trailer for free in FL?

Oh and re: taking the northern route in the summer: Check out the weather along I10 or I20. I'd like to be a LONG way north of north Texas right now.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Re: no round trip: You're still going to have to round-trip with the tow vehicle, I'm guessing it doesn't beat 20 mpg by much (if any) even when not towing. If the federal mileage rate is any valid estimate of what it costs to operate a motor vehicle, that's about $2800 worth these days. It will get you out of 1 winter of winterizing the trailer. Will you be able to store the trailer for free in FL?

Oh and re: taking the northern route in the summer: Check out the weather along I10 or I20. I'd like to be a LONG way north of north Texas right now.
So, yes ... continued FREE indoor storage of trailer in FL!! But... new development... a friend just offered to drive a UHaul truck (she has a free ticket to burn before Sept 10 to fly home with) so that I can tow my beloved Silver Olive with me out west! I hadn't actually considered that. Wow. Course, the A/S would need new tires to make that drive. $$$ Lots to think about.
So, though the weather will be nicer on the norther route, would I expect to encounter any difficult inclines/mountains?

Laura
Old 08-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
So, anyone got some advice on the ROUTE I should consider for this cross-country trip? Right now the only *tool* I have is google maps. There has to be some other resources, right?

Laura
Laura,

Google maps can show elevation. In Maps mode, just hover your cursor over the little square in the top right corner of the map that says "Satellite". A flyout box will open and you can check "Terrain" to see how bumpy the world is where you're going.

Doesn't seem to be anything mountainous till after Albuquerque.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Congrats on the job Laura, certainly a big difference from what you have been doing. Its going to be a long drive to the CanOpener though!

Good luck and have a safe westward trip
Old 08-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtoaster View Post
Congrats on the job Laura, certainly a big difference from what you have been doing. Its going to be a long drive to the CanOpener though!

Good luck and have a safe westward trip

Thanks Greg. I'll miss CanOpener.... who will sing Happy Birthday to me? I really had a good time. And, guess what? I may be towing my Silver Olive west with me after all!!!!!! Had a friend offer to drive a UHaul so I can tow the airstream. But she'll need new tires and that's not an $$$ investment that I was planning. Think I can find as friendly group as ya'll out there in the desert?

Laura
Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
Godspeed! Keep us posted on your new adventure.

Debbie
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #18
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Last July, we moved west. We jumped off the interstates and used US and state highways through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and California. The roads aren't glass-smooth, but they aren't terrible either. We made a trip along I-40 in 2007 from AZ to GA, and I remember I-40 being very rough in long sections.

I used Google Maps to plan the trips and didn't worry about elevations. I think the steepest grade of any length was 8%, and we made the trip without any mechancial issues. Fresh brakes on the truck and trailer, a functioning cooling system, and heavy use of lower gears both uphill and downhill made the trip manageable.

We visited the Ozarks, Dodge City, National Grasslands, State and National Parks, and we either boondocked in parking lots or stayed in RV parks and had no issues with availability. Scenic trip and more relaxing as well did not worry about maintaining interstate speeds. We just cruised along at 50 mph and avoided all trouble.

We made St Louis to the Pacific Ocean in 9 days, not being in a hurry. If you have a few extra days, I would plan on using them since you are driving nearly 3,000 miles.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, we used a 8'x8'x16' pod to move our stuff. It was full and weighed nearly 5k pounds. We filled a standard 3-bedroom ranch-style house with what was in it, and this weight did not include a dishwasher, oven, or fridge.

Good luck and enjoy.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The southernmost route is the flattest. I-10W all the way to Tucson, then a fairly straight line NNW through Las Vegas and on to Reno. About 60-miles farther than the northern route suggested by G-Maps through Nebraska/Wyoming IH-80. I would do the latter route due to the unrelenting heat of this time of year, personally, as the "problem" of mountains is really IH-70 though Colorado. Nearly 3k miles.

Plan your daily routing: restaurants, fuel, etc. Do NOT drive on into the night. Leave a little early (civil dawn) instead. Expect to be up by 0500 for breakfast having showered the night before, and on the road at 0630. Be off the road one hour before dark and lay out everything for the next day, including food shopping etc. Have a big meal and hit the bed early. Do both pre-and post trip inspections of your vehicles. Wash them daily, IMO, and the glass at EVERY stop. What you're doing is akin to truck driving. It's a job, so treat this death-defying set of acts with respect. Your "money-saved" is illusory if you're just hanging on the steering wheel with the cruise on. Be careful as fatigue sets in on Day Two and must be mediated by planning and regular habits. 500-600 per day is real work day after day. Go over that and you'll screw up the rest of the trip.

Plan each day so that a series of short legs is the accomplishment. Know your stops. Stop every two hours for fifteen and every four hours for one hour. Etc. Knowing the Exit # ahead of time, and the stops, avoids distractions while driving.

I'd rather take seven days than six to do this trip. I'd find all the cool diners (www.roadfood.com) to have lunch at, and the WalMarts to shop in. Plus places to fuel. Combine what you can (time and locations), and leave a minimum of one-hour in the day for contingencies (besides being off the road an hour ahead).

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Hi- If you decide to take I-10, at Tucson you'll have to choose between going north or staying on I-10 to San Bernardino.

If you choose north from Tucson take 93 to VGS where it mergers with 95 then 95 up to Fallon,NV and go west on 50 then hit 395 and up to Reno. 93/95 was in good shape on our last trip about 8 months ago, new between Kingman & Hoover Dam, but absolutley make sure you have plenty of extra water with you as it will be hot if you're traveling during daylight hours.

If you choose north from San Berdoo 395 will take you right into Reno. This route is more scenic if you prefer greenery and probably a little cooler.

Myself, from Tucson I'd probably go up through AZ & NV but only because we really love the desert. Remember this as you'll be hearing it a lot out here, "But it's a dry heat" hehe.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote