Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2006, 07:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Fishing

Hi folks and a Happy New Year to you all.
I want to try to learn how to flyfish and am wondering how to go about it. I've noticed there are quite a few of you on the Forums, and get the impression that many have enjoyed this peaceful activity for years. But are there any of you who took this up recently? I do humiliation pretty well but I'm wondering how realistic I'm being. It seems like such a great match for airstreaming. Any suggestions?
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:04 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
Large stream, no trees or innocent bystanders.
With my brother in law giving me pointers on what I was doing wrong it took several hours before I could peel line out and lay it down. Just takes practice.
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Hi Janetb,

Flyfishing is a real passion of mine! Some of the best flyfishing is "out west"! The rivers & streams in Minnesota, where we're from, are naturally overgrown along shore lines making casting a real challenge! The rivers and tributaries of the west are delightful as they have large open areas on the shore lines that tend to make the fishing much easier (much less frustrating - no lines caught in the brush and trees). My strong recommendation is to get on line at Orvis web site. You'll pick up some good general info there and then find a local fly shop to stop by and visit. (Tell them your a newbie! Typically they'll knock themselves out to help you get educated). Those folks are almost certainly going to want to "take you into the fold". Fly-fishing folk are a lot like golfers. They take the sport seriously, but love to share the fun of the sport with others. The local shop will do two things, first, show you the basics of how to do it, and second, give you some idea of when and where to try in your area.

If you can find a good fly shop in your area they will likely have a guide service. I would again strongly recommend this as a way to get some great practical tips on the sport. If you love the outdoors, and fishing at all, wait till you have a trout on the end of a light-weight rod while enjoying the increadible scenery of standing in a mountain stream on a clear day! If you were in the area I would have some specific recommendations. Having never had the chance to fish anywhere in your territory, I am afraid that's all I can do for you...

Don't let the fear of the unknown scare you off! A half hour with a rod in hand and you'll be proficient enough to enjoy the sport. From there... It's like any sport... the more you do it, the more you'll come to enjoy it and learn the more delicate styles that look so wonderfully graceful!

Have a wonderful new year. Make a resolution to at least get out and try this. You won't be sorry you did. BTW: More expensive gear in flyfishing does NOT make you a better fisherperson! My favorite rod combo is a very light (and short - due to the natural vegitation issues I face in MN) and inexpensive fly combo I purchased from Cabela's for about $200 total! I have no less than five fly rods... expense isn't required! I have some expensive gear... this one is my favorite!

Here's wishing you tight lines in '07!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Janet,
I believe that the best way to get into fly fishing is to join a fly fishing club. I did that over 20 years ago and I am still active in that club today. Clubs offer education in casting, fly tying and rod building just to name a few things. They will also have outings to diffrent places to fish and give you an oppertunity to learn from people who fly fish all the time. A good club for you to check out would be the Santa Cruz Fly Fishermen. SCFF Newsletter
An excellent shop in your area is Upstream Fly Fishing located in Los Gatos.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Happy New Year to you as well.

You don't have to do much guessing to know what I do. My wife and I spend the entire summer and fall in our Airstream in the northwest, and I fly fish practically every day for several months straight.

There are many ways for a person to get started fly fishing; it all depends on how you prefer to begin.

One way to start is to locate a local fly fishing shop closeby, go there, and ask for advice. Another way is to sign up for a beginners fly fishing school. There are number of these courses available. A third way would be to attend a local chapter meeting of (and consider joining) an organization such as Trout Unlimited or the Fereration of Fly Fishers.

Lastly, you could pick an area that offers both good camping/vacationing and fishing opportunities, look up some outfitters/guides in that area, and book a good guide for a day or more to teach you fly fishing and take you fishing.

If you can find a mentor or two to help teach you,
that would be a real benefit. There are many people (men and women) who are members of TU and FFF who'd love to do just this.

There are also at least a couple groups of women fly fishers. One of them is called "Sisters on the Fly" and they go on fishing adventures in Vintage travel trailers (Really Cool!) and another is called Reel Women.

You can also rent or borrow whatever gear you'll need to get started, and I would probably do that if it were me just beginning.

If you need other info, let me know.

John
Old 12-31-2006, 10:01 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Hi Janet,

Check out Ernie's Casting Pond in Soquel, Fly Fishing at Ernie's Casting Pond

I think I'm the only one at work that doesn't fish. I do plan to take it up when I retire, more time then.

Are you still diggin' the new trailer?

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Hi Janet,

Fly fishing is Zen. The equipment is second to the attitude and technique. Like an Airstream, the true enlightenment is in the journey. You can practice technique in your yard. Attitude comes from within. To catch fish, you also need a knowledge of entomology and ichthyology, or you can just be lucky.

10 o'clock...2 o'clock...10 o'clock...2 o'clock
Old 01-01-2007, 06:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
As others have mentioned, getting advice/instruction/guidance from a fly shop is an excellent way to start. When I started, one of the salesmen held instructional classes for free at the pond at our county Civic Center.

In Northern California we have some of the most famous trout rivers in the world, but in most other places where there are trout in moving water, they are found in very, very small streams along the entire range of the Sierras. (Some enjoy flyfishing in the ocean as well, by the way.) For these waters, light weight tackle is the way to go. My favorite rod is a 3-weight--very supple and easy to cast an control. If I were to buy another, it would be equally light but perhaps a foot or more shorter than the 8.5 of this rod.

One of the great joys of flyfishing is the places where it can be done. The streams, lakes, and rivers where trout live are among the most beautiful in the country. Who say's fish aren't smart?

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
One of the great joys of flyfishing is the places where it can be done. The streams, lakes, and rivers where trout live are among the most beautiful in the country. Who say's fish aren't smart?
Similar to camping, huh?

Testament of a Fisherman
By Robert Traver, aka John Voelker

I fish because I love to; because I love the environment where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly; because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape; because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude or humility and endless patience; because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip; because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters; because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness; because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Hi Janet,

Go for it! For years I fished with my Dad all over the US and then repeated the experience with my son. He introduced me to fly fishing. I use to practice casting in the yard. Like any other thing you do the better you get. Good luck and happy casting. Books video's, classes, any of these are good. I learned to tie by reading a book, then just doing it.

RG the one of the right not the bearded one.

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
What wonderful--and poetic!--information. Thank you all for sharing so much insight about what is clearly a treasured pastime. Now I'm feeling very determined and encouraged, so I'll start with the local "casting pond" SCSteamer suggested and hopefully someday end up at one of those lovely trout streams in the mountains...
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Janetb

Fishing in general is tremendously relaxing and joining a club or taking a course at the local college or even at a sporting store will eliminate a lot of frustration and make the experience a good one right from the start. As noted, the beautiful settings you find yourself in are some of the best in the world. Make sure you are aware of the other wildlife around you in these wonderful spots. And you might be a tad surprised at what you can come home with other than fish from your fishing trips. In our case, in 1986 in a last of the season fly fishing trip to the eastern slopes of the Rockies as we stopped to get out of our hipwaders we found a very tiny kitten frozen to the floor of the deserted campground outhouse and she was almost done in. Heavy snow was falling and it had gone from reasonable warm to very cold very quickly and we suspect the mother deserted her to get to a local farm. We picked her up, rubbed her till she was warm, fed her pickle and cheese sandwich and hot chocolate, and I tucked her into the back of my hoodie as we did a bit more fishing on our way home. She was with us until this past November and was a great addition to our lives. Every time we go fishing I think about what else other than fish I might be bringing home with me and my wife worries about that . I've found vintage cars, trailers, and incredible places to camp on our fishing trips so be prepared.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #13
tracker

1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
Hi Janetb

Another good place to try is "The Fly Shop " In Redding they have a great school and guide service and the area around Shasta/ Redding is top notch fishing and camping. best of luck.

Carl
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #14
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I learned the basics about three summers ago and was not in a place to fly fish until this year. I have been several times this year in and Oregon lakes and Idaho rivers.

I bought my basic rod and reel from an outfit in Missoula, MT. Great people, thrilled more women were interested. I pent abot $200 on the outfit and another $25 on flies. If your technique is off you will loose a few flies until you get the rythm back.

Go out try it. I was hooked (pun intended)!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:38 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
fly fishing

I look forward to flyfishing every year. I've heard it said someplace...

God does not subtract from one's allotted time hours spent fishing....

Mark
Old 01-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #16
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Classes on the fly

Hi Janet,
Lots of great advice here! I'm a beginner too, a local fly fishing outfitter offers classes (for pay) through our local school district's community education program, so I'm trying that. Perhaps one of your local school districts offer those sorts of after working hours classes. In this class they supply the materials and get you hooked so you will want to buy from them. Best wishes!
Old 01-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
That applies to flying too. That is why I fly as much as possible!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote