Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2007, 04:34 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
My Father-in-law retired from the U.S. Postal service and he doesn't recieve SS. We looked into it and he didn't have enough quarters in the private sector.
bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
Bill,
By the way, it seems to me that the "full retirement age" changes for folks if they aren't baby boomers... some folks won't reach full retirement until 68 or later!
You are correct in that the retirement age does change -- I don't know what the calculation formula is, but I do know that the age of full retirement increases periodically. A friend of mine who is 10 years older than me, will reach full retirement at age 65 whereas my full retirement age is 66. Another friend who is ten years younger than me will reach full retirement at age 67.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Hunt
Davydd: I know that there is that 62 vs 70 and the break even point is 78 consideration. I am self employed these last 27 years and have had to create my own pension. However I was considering living off stock dividends, Lirps, bonds, Ira and Sep. account withdrawls and investing my SS checks for 8 years (62-70). Would 78 still be the break even point given a modest 5% return since I won't be as aggressive in those years? Neither my Edward Jones Rep. or local Scottrade office knew the answer. It's not a burning question since I have 11 years to go.
Conventional wisdom says you should start taking your Social Security as soon as possible. There is one caveat. You can't be working for wages for more than about $12,000 if you are taking. But if you are living off your investments then every cent of your investments should be earning you more than what Social Security is going to appreciate while you hold off. So if you take it early you can theoretically add that money to the investment pool and let it gain along with your other investments or in essence not have to spend as much of your capital that is appreciating. Starting January 1st (age 64 for me) I will start taking Social Security. I couldn't this year because I worked a half year for wages and retired at the end of June. Plus, I didn't need it. My investments both private and 401(k) are on target to appreciate better than 20% this year. They won't next year because the little birdie tells me to go defensive and protect the nest egg.

Up until June 29 I was on AC shore power and am now on battery power with a Social Security trickle charge. I just hope I have good batteries without too much load on them.

For you Brad who knows. You can't predict the future and 11 years is a long time. So many things can change, some for the better and some for the worse. Retirement kind of puts you in a quandary. You should cheer Republicans for the tax cuts especially in capital gains, interest and dividend tax rates that the Democrats want to roll back but you want too as much health benefits you can get that the Democrats seem more willing to dole out. It's a mess and we can't afford it all and neither party is willing to bite the bullet and fix Social Security. I'm like you, I decided to take care of myself 15 years ago and invested more than 30% of my income toward retirement in and outside a 401(k) and had a couple of fantastic investments to boost that savings. If you are eligible, maximize your Roth IRA.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
I think students in college should be required to take Retirement 101 as well as the standard Econ class! Who knows what 30 years will bring, but they are gonna need to plan ahead no matter where they work!

Brad, sorry to say my retirement income is not as healthy as the guy who earns 6K....

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
...My investments both private and 401(k) are on target to appreciate better than 20% this year...
Wow! 20%+!? That is awesome. What is the secret to getting 20%? Inquiring minds want to know!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
These were my major holdings.

Target - TGT (Company 401(k) and got out in July when it went over 68 and peaked at 70. It was very, very good to me over the past 15 years.)

Manulife - MFC (Canadian Company that bought John Hancock. It has gone up over 800% in 7 years and the analyst still don't respect that.)

Exxon Mobile - XOM (Oil. What can you say? If you can't beat them on the road, join them)

Check them out. I'm still holding MFC and XOM but also got out of Apple - AAPL way too soon over a year ago. I had those four stocks for a long time. A little over 3 years ago I started moving most of my portfolio to value stocks that paid good dividends and to overseas oriented mutual funds. I've had some losers but most all of my holdings I currently have are up for the year to date. My biggest loser I still have is Pfizer - PFE but at least it quit tanking.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #27
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
First "official" baby boomer...

Oh great... another number! Wonder what number I'm gonna be on the list...?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #28
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
We will not even get back what I have paid in, unless I live to be 117
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote