Old 01-05-2005, 01:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
I wonder how many folks have actually tested the rear window release for emergency escape on their Airstream.

Kicking out or breaking windows is a very hazardous activity and not needed as nearly every trailer I know about has a rear window designed to serve as an emergency exit. I think it is a code requirement.

bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:25 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
And said:

Airstream windows are "not kick out."

You can however, shatter them with a hammer, or with a impact type center punch.

Now, not today (we are in the middle of blizzard like ocnditions here in northeastern Iowa) but I am gonna hafta check that rear window! We have a 31 foot, 1983, rear bedroom. It appeared to us that the gasket is designed to be pulled out, and the glass removed, to make an emergency exit! Two little tabs of gasket, the round kind with grooves in it, hang down from our back window. That ISN'T meant for a pull and push exit? Like bus windows? gonna hafta invest in one those german hammer thingies for escaping from a car....

Elizabeth in Iowa

The carpeting is gone! The carpeting is gone! Long live the cork floor!
Cedars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
A demonstration of emergency exit how-to's would be a good "session" at one of our forum rallies along with a group check of safety features-seeing what others have, checking out our extinguishers, and so on. Just a suggestion.
1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:49 PM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
General Info

The newer AS have "emergency exit" windows, not sure when the change took place. My Vintage unit 1975 DOES NOT! have exit windows. I can and will fit thru the bedroom or bath windows on my AS....don't ask but it has been done I do plan to keep at least 2 ABC fire extinguishers in my trailer. Probably 12#ers as that is what I have the most of. Personally I prefer the CO2 extinguishers but they can be cost prohibitive and too heavy for a lot of people to handle. As stated it pays to practice your emergency plan, folks, screens are cheap, also as someone stated make sure you CAN fit thru the window opening. Some enterprising individual could probably make some money if they would come up with an emergency exit retrofit for the vintage units.

I like your idea of the bank deposit bag for important stuffs, I am going to implement it promptly. My wife and I both travel extensively together and alone and spend many a night in a strange/different location (hotel). More than once during the night I have become disoriented in a strange motel room, and had to wake up a little more to find the bathroom

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:44 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
Well, Andy from Inland said that the window frames aren't made for a kick out, but could be broken with a hammer or heavy hit with a center punch. Who keeps those by the bedside?
Paula, most auto parts stores sell a device thats purpose is to cut the seat belt, and break the window of your car if you are in an accident, and need to get out with the doors jammed shut. I forget the name of it (of course), but it is heavy, about 8" long, has a cutting blade safely inside the handle, with a pointed metal end that is used to shatter a window. One or two whacks will usually suffice with the safety glass in our cars, I can't imagine Airstream glass to be any tougher. They cost about $15.00, and can be kept on the small stand next to your bed.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:49 PM   #20
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Extricator hammer

I found a photo of one, if the link works, here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	extricator hammer.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	9989  
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 09:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Extricator Hammer

Thanks, I learn something new every day. Now if they only had something nifty that would instantly shrink my butt! I'd pay WAY more than $15 for that.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #22
1969 23' Safari
Longbranch , Washington
Hi there - I am new to Airstreams... I have a 69' safari retrofited by an Oregon couple to a mobile espresso trailer. From this post I found out that vintage airstreams have one egress door and no emergency windows.... bummer!

I am trying to get L&I approved in WA and found out about the emergency egress requirement - if you have a vendor unit and it has employees must have 2 means of egress... yikes!

That was until I found ALL-RITE! Custom windows - built to your rough hole measurements and shipped within... get this 48 hours. Guess who I'm calling tomorrow! RV Parts, RV Accessories, Custom RV Parts @ All Rite Custom Manufacturing I'll let you know how it works out!

And... an '07 Arctic Fox truck camper with matching "toy hauler"
mhays is offline   Reply With Quote