I've got a few parts coming in this week... dash plate (with buttons!) and an aluminum battery box for the rear. I've decided to put the battery in the back between the fuel tanks. It's not optimal for weight distribution, but with a V2, you can't stick it in the middle of the back foot area anyway.
I admit...two late model plastic sew machines have been donated to the land fill.
Mostly from sewing sails.
This is a 60s era all metal Singer.
Not a industrial one, but is tough.
If it goes under the foot...it get sewed.
#16 needle with V92 (I think) HD thread.
I do have to get needle in top possition before starting, then keep the RPMs up, and slip the clutch a little before shifting.
Maximum on this project has been 4 layers of vinyl, and lots of cursing.
__________________ Your opinion is valued, please not your opinion of someones else's opinion. Click To See Me Wet
1989 Airstream 345 Liberator...
1972 Argosy 24'... 1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
I have an old 60s/70s-era all-metal Singer as well, that belonged to my mother before she upgraded to her new-fangled computerized model. I need to reupholster some of the seating in my boat, and I've been thinking I could just create some vinyl slip-covers for the captain's chairs until I'm ready to spend the money to either have them professionally redone, or just buy new chairs. But I wasn't sure if the standard machine would handle it. At most I'd have 3 layers of vinyl, and more often just two, running in straight seams.
Anyway, it's looking great, and I'm eager to see how you and A-Merry-Can finish up your Feathercraft restoration projects.
No pics today... but last night, i re-plumbed all the fuel lines with the new fuel pump, new fuel fitting, etc. New fuel fittings are coming for the tanks... from eBay, of course!
On the trailer, I have ordered new hubs. I don't feel comfortable towing it as is. I also need to shoot the fenders, once I get the right gold for the engine cowl. The trailer STILL needs lights, too! I an always use the magnetic temporary ones until I find ones i like...
Next up is the electrical system. The battery box should be here today. I also ordered a new starter relay to go with the new dash plate and buttons. Once all the goodies get here, I'll start putting that end together. I'm rEALLY planning on getting this thing wet before the rally to make sure things are working correctly. The steering and control cables are the last thing on my list.
Time's running out! I too will be back-burnering this project after the rally to catch up on some other projects I've been neglecting. Firewall the throttle until then, though!
My new hubs came in from (don't make me say it again...) eBAY! The left one had a lot of play, and the right one sounded like it was full of sand.. plus both hubs were different, with different size threads, and BOLTS rather than nuts. My old Buick had those... I hated them!
Anyway, the new ones went on in a jiffy. Now I have studs, too! :-D
While i was under the trailer, I checked some of the bolts, and found the control arm had rattled loose! Fortunately it didn't fall out or get scratched, so Lock Tite time.
I'm going to go through the trailer again and triple check each one WITH lock tite before I tow it anywhere else... especially after the other incident of the connector rod coming loose... scary stuff!
Well, I go the bright idea of getting a second hood for the motor off eBay, and polishing it up. I thought you couldn't get too much bling on a little boat like this...
However, the more I polished it, the less finished it make the boat look. I've come to the conclusion that the motor is the centerpiece of the whole boat, and polishing it up makes it blend in too much. It's an original 1957 Johnson Javelin! I don't want it to blend in!
SO... after spending several hours sanding and polishing the NEW hood, I decided to clean up the original. The paint on it is in decent shape for its age.
I started by cleaning up the cowl with clay to remove all the dirty bits embedded in the paint, then washed it again, THEN put on nu-finish. It's not perfect, but looks a lot nicer... plus, I guess there's something to be said for original paint.
I took the best emblems I had off of both of my Javelin hoods (yes, I actually have 3 hoods for this motor!), polished them up and installed them. Looks pretty good, with the exception of one of the main chrome pieces. The Chrome has flaked off one of the side pieces down to the copper. Maybe for xmas I'll treat myself to a re-chrome... Good enough for now, though!!
That's it for this weekend's festivities. THis week the aluminum battery box and dash plate should be here, so I can start buttoning up the electrical side of things.