Old 02-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #15
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Virginia near , Washington, D.C.
Just thought I'd share that I couldn't help myself ... I picked-up a fenix UC-35 rechargeable version of the fenix PD35 flashlight at REI (it was in-stock).

The pros: this light is capable of throwing from 14 lumens to an impressive 960 lumens ... side-by-side testing outside at night, it is definitely brighter than my FourSevens QuarkPro QP2L-X while also throwing a wider and more usable beam pattern, which should be good for an all-around light. It's a little heavier than most two-CR123 lights of the same size. But the really cool feature is that this light has a rechargeable mini-USB port on the side so you can charge the powerful 18650 Li-ion battery without removing it. That's pretty cool...

The cons: All of this said, I'm not sure if I'm ecstatic with it because it has a memory to remember the last mode it was in. So if you have it by your bedside for self-protection and need moonlight to get something in the middle of the night, you'll blind yourself unless you set it to moonlight before shutting it off. But then, if something "goes bump in the night" you're stuck with moonlight on power-up, plus four more presses of the switch to get to Turbo power (although strobe is available from any light output).

Compare/contrast to the FourSevens, which thought through the implementation of two different modes based on a twist of the bezel, there's no comparison. The FourSevens wins in this regard to useability. The FourSevens also has a tail cap that allows it to stand on the cap ... the fenix doesn't.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...ix-flashlight/

I'm going to look into a FourSevens rechargeable equivalent ... not sure if they have one but I need to take a look. Fenix seems to have a larger share of the market ... perhaps because they've done a better job of marketing ... ? Take care, Rich

Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Great review thanks, I'll look st this, light, although my tk15 is still going strong, and maybe try a foursevens

Old 02-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Remember the old Mini-Mag light that was the standard of the industry? With the dim "grain of wheat" bulb that blew at the worst times? I swore I'd never give that company another dime.
I found a LED light made by Coast (Chinese, I'm sure) for $20.
Same size, 5 LED's, runs 50 hours on one AA! I bought two or three, and installed Lithium AA's. I've never changed batteries!
Then, I discovered Lowe's sold a smaller LED light that used three AAA's for $1.79. Replacing the batteries cost more than the lights. How can even the Chinese make an anodized aluminum shell, a switch, and 3 LED's, and a lanyard, ship it half way around the world for $1.79??? I put one in the bedroom, the kitchen, and gave one away.
All have worked for years flawlessly.
BTW, Lithiums are silly expensive, but they never leak. I use them in everything except my wireless mouse since those get changed too often to justify the cost.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
After starting with Maglights and then going through several cheaper options, I've become a big fan of Thrunite flashlights.

I have a 1xAAA Ti twisty as my EDC. It's very bright for such a small light, and the batteries last forever. It still looks like new after several years on my keychain.

For pocket use (campgrounds and such) I have a 1xAA T10T. The great thing about this light is that it's both a clicky and a twisty, so you can use it however you want. It also comes with a traffic cone-shaped diffuser so you can use it as a candle. I find this combo perfect for campgrounds and restrooms (especially those campground ones that don't have electricity). It's available in regular aluminum as the T10, or in titanium as the T10T for the same price (about $23). I've given several as gifts and the people who received them really love them.

I also really like my 4xAA Thrunite TN4A. It's not pocket size, but it fits inside a toilet paper holder, so it's a lot smaller than many "full size" flashlights. I take it for walks along roads when I really need cars to see me. It's rather floody, but the new version with the XPL-HI is known for being a remarkably good thrower in the AA class.

If I had my druthers, at some point I'd get a Zebralight SC5 or SC52, but they're awfully expensive and I have several other lights that work nearly as well.

Speaking of which, I've had good luck with the "Duraloop" AAs I bought on clearance at Target a couple of years ago. I also have a few Amazon Basics high capacity AAs that have also been fine.

At some point I'll probably make the switch to 18650s and much brighter lights, but AAs are so easy to find I'm sure I'll stick with them for a long time. Sometimes I get slightly worried when I hear about 18650s catching fire or melting down, which gives me pause when I consider charging & using them in a small space like an Airstream. On the other hand, I'll be using lithium-powered laptops, phones, and other devices in there, and probably even lithium batteries for the trailer too, so worrying about lithium batteries for a flashlight at that point would probably be a bit silly.
DPRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #19
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Virginia near , Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRoberts View Post
Sometimes I get slightly worried when I hear about 18650s catching fire or melting down, which gives me pause when I consider charging & using them in a small space like an Airstream. On the other hand, I'll be using lithium-powered laptops, phones, and other devices in there, and probably even lithium batteries for the trailer too, so worrying about lithium batteries for a flashlight at that point would probably be a bit silly.
Sounds like we're going through the same progression. Fenix and FourSevens both warn of using brands of 18650 batteries other than their own given they've regulated the output ... they strongly caution against other batteries due to the risk of fire/explosion. I observed that Fenix doesn't include information about the size of charger to use when charging their batteries so I opted for the smallest micro-USB charger I could find ... a 700mAH charger for an old Blackberry phone ... my intent was to avoid a rapid change in voltage. I'm concerned enough that I set it on the kitchen island without anything else on it, just in case. If/when the time comes that we're camping with it, I will likely avoid charging it inside. That said, all of the "vape explosions" I've seen online concern me. Then, I think about my DeWalt batteries, MacBook Pro, iPhones, etc. and think there's no concern. I don't know what to do about keeping it or not ... pretty conflicted about it ...
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:39 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRHEDS View Post
Sounds like we're going through the same progression. Fenix and FourSevens both warn of using brands of 18650 batteries other than their own given they've regulated the output ... they strongly caution against other batteries due to the risk of fire/explosion. I observed that Fenix doesn't include information about the size of charger to use when charging their batteries so I opted for the smallest micro-USB charger I could find ... a 700mAH charger for an old Blackberry phone ... my intent was to avoid a rapid change in voltage. I'm concerned enough that I set it on the kitchen island without anything else on it, just in case. If/when the time comes that we're camping with it, I will likely avoid charging it inside. That said, all of the "vape explosions" I've seen online concern me. Then, I think about my DeWalt batteries, MacBook Pro, iPhones, etc. and think there's no concern. I don't know what to do about keeping it or not ... pretty conflicted about it ...
One thing I've often heard about lithium batteries is that they're a lot safer when they're wired directly,as the monitoring software apparently works a lot better then (especially if you have a good monitor, like in laptops or RV applications). I know many rechargeable 18650 batteries are protected, but they're still not wired directly, so that seems a little less safe.

Lastly - and most practically - if we're in an RV and we suddenly need to use several flashlights, it's probably because we've depleted the house batteries for some reason. In that situation we wouldn't be able to recharge 18650s anyway. At that point, it would be a lot easier to find AAs in any Wal-Mart, camp store, etc. So, for emergency use AAs still seem like a better bet.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Speaking of AA and rechargeable, has anyone found a rechargeable 1.5v. AA? All I can find are 1.2v. and won't run my wireless mouse, or even connect.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:15 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Milford Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Speaking of AA and rechargeable, has anyone found a rechargeable 1.5v. AA? All I can find are 1.2v. and won't run my wireless mouse, or even connect.
AFAIK all NiCd and NiMH batteries are 1.2V. There are a few companies that make rechargeable Lithium AAs at 1.5V - I've never used them myself, but Kentli is supposed to be a good one. However, they're quite expensive, and I think they need a special charger (I don't really know anything about them). Same goes true for NiZn batteries & chargers.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:19 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Huntington , New York
I was a huge fan of the Fenix PD35 for years and carried them camping and active traveling. Combination of solid construction, virtual waterproof construction so long as you don't swim with it and easily sourceable 10yr CR123 batteries. The self defense utility was also a consideration.

But Sandy convinced me that headlamps are the way to roll because other than hiking, self defense and rescue, the things you need a flashlight for usually requires two hands. Repairs, getting firewood, etc plus in these situations you don't need massive lumen capability, you need augmentation of your night vision.

So out gear is heavy on quality headlamps like Petzl for individual gear and lower cost Home Depot LED/s for vehicle tool kits. The Fenix still occupy space in my gear but for limited Hugh lumen use only where nothing is really on the line.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Agree that when you are chasing down a leaky water connection under a dark cabinet, a headlamp is invaluable. I use a mid range Petzl or whatever is easily available from REI and end up with a new one every three years or so.

But for walking the minature doxies at night in a campground nothing beats a good flashlight. Costco has some inexpensive led multipack flashlights that would be fine for general camping/trailer duty. It's nice to have extras for the wife or other family members, and its nice if you don't have too much money tied up in them so if they go missing...
Caffeinated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Not quite in the "headgear" category - but do folks have recommendations for a good, small, bright, rechargeable LED light to attach to the visor of a baseball cap? I've seen (and had) several models - none that meet the criteria I just provided. I've seen the Petzl headgear version - not what I'm looking for. I'm almost always wearing a cap with a visor when camping and would prefer a decent clip on for the visor.
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Google LED hat light, here are a few:
http://www.goneforarun.com/lightguid...SC0hoCrzXw_wcB

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-4-led...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.universal-textiles.com/UK...ptionID=185578