Old 09-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Favorite Movie?

We've got some favorite music threads.... how about favorite movie?

and don't limit yourself.. top 3, 5, 10 whatever...

also note, my interest here is purely selfish... I'll be frequenting this thread for movie rental ideas

Can't number 'em, because I enjoy them all equally... (OK, I'm indecisive):

- Citizen Kane
- Blade Runner
- Saving Private Ryan

While we're at it. How about favorite holiday movies (as it's fast approaching...)?

- Miracle on 34th Street
- Christmas Carol (Alastair Sim version, although the George C. Scott isn't bad..)
- It's a Wonderful Life

boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario

The Arrow
The Titans
Billy Jack
The Bourne Identity
The Blind side

Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #3

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Monty Python: The Meaning of Life
Blues Brothers

Secondary comedy (that I like more for the comedy)
Grosse Pointe Blank
The Fifth Element

Minority Report (Hmm... 2/3 by Philip K. Dick)

Lord of the Rings trilogy (that's 3 right there.)

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Hmm, lets see:

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Full Metal Jacket
The Outlaw Josey Wales
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
Classic 30
Sum Wear , Ohio
Secondhand Lions
Deer Hunter
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Dances with Wolves
"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I am surprised this was not the first post. "The Long Long Trailer"
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Only one..."Lonesome Dove."
"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
The Fugitive.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
2004 28' Safari S/O
Zavalla , Texas Airstream Harbor
Oh Brother Where Art Thou
Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master
1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Was on last weekend on TCM and I forced my granddaughters to watch: Captains Couragous. Sal.
Sal & Nora
Let us live so that when we die even the undertaker will be sorry. Mark Twain
AIR 42483
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
Oh Brother Where Art Thou
I had no idea what this was about, and I can't stand Clooney... but I laughed myself silly watching. I mean seriously funny. Peed my pants, funny.
This one is up there with 'Monty Python Holy Grail'
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Favorite Movie?

One of my means of relaxation while Airstreaming is to watch a movie at night before going to bed. Some of my favorites include:

The two movies below, I watch at least once during most every trip:

#1) Who can forget when Desi tried to back the New Moon into that suburban driveway . . . . . (The Long, Long Trailer)

#2) My most memorable scene is when Robin Williams first drives up in front of his home as his wife and children observe from the dining room window . . . . (RV)

Some of my other movie favorites that accompany me on most of my trips include:

Doris Day is one of my favorite acctresses, and Where Were You When the Lights Went Out? is among my favorites of her movies.

With Six You Get Egg Roll . . . paired Brian Keith and Doris Day and the comedy when they tried to combine their two families is only rivaled by Yours, Mine and Ours featuring Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball.

Combining Doris Day, a sensitive government installation, and her family entanglements results in a comedy that I always enjoy! . . . . (The Glass Bottom Boat)

Combine Rock Hudson, Doris Day, and Tony Randall, and an uprorious comedy results . . . it is one that I watch often while Airstreaming . . . (Send Me No Flowers)

With Doris Day as the Happy Soap spokesperson and James Garner as her MD husband, the funniest scene for me is when James Garner drives his 1958 Chevrolet Impala Convertible into the new backyard swimming pool that the Happy Soap people installed for Doris Day's character as a surprise . . . . (The Thrill of It All)

Another film featuring James Garner and Doris Day, this time Doris Day's character is presumed drowned at sea as a result of an accident . . . only she is rescued and returns home on the very day that her husband (James Garner) is about to marry another woman . . . the comedy ensues as Doris' character tries to stop her husband's remarriage . . . . (Move Over Darling)

I have always thought that the pairing of Cary Grant and Doris Day made this movie one of the most unique of the 1960s comedies . . . (That Touch of Mink) . . . this movie is usually on my VCR at least twice during any extended trip . . . my favorite scene is when in frustration, Doris' characters punches a series of buttons on a computer console and punched paper cards are strewn about the entire data processing department . . .

Another movie featuring Doris Day, Rock Hudson, and Tony Randall, this time the characters played by Day and Hudson are advertising executives working for different agencies who enter into a competition to advertise a product VIP that doesn't exist . . . Tony Randall's character is the absentee CEO of the firm that employs Hudson's character . . . (Lover Come Back)

Doris Day and David Niven play an urban New York couple who trade the congestion of the city for a place in the country that they must rennovate . . . the comedy intensifies as they work toward completing the rennovation of their very old home . . . (Please Don't Eat the Daisies)

Rock Hudson and Doris Day were teamed as waring party line associates who eventually meet and fall in love with comedy based upon numerous deceptions to keep from revealing Hudson's character's identity as her party line opponet . . . (Pillow Talk)

Probably Lucill Ball's most serious comedy appearances, I enjoy her in the movie Mame on most of my longer trips.

Who can forget when Henry Fonda as a Widower with 10 childrean and Ball as a Widow with 8 children, meet, court and then marry while dealing with the issues of combining their families then adding one more to bring the count of children up to 18 . . . (Yours, Mine and Ours)

Another hilarious pairing of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz where their characters find a number of ways to turn romantic moments into great comedy . . . (Forever Darling)

Combining Bob Hope as a Gentlemen's Gentleman, and Lucille Ball as a 20-something tomboy . . . the comedy is insured from beginning to end . . . (Fancy Pants)

With Lucille Ball as a sophisticated career woman and Bob Hope as a gambler . . . the two cross paths while trying to protect a young child who was pledged as collateral by a gamble friend of Hope's . . . . (Sorrowful Jones)

Cary Grant and Myrna Loy portray New Yorkers with two children who decide to escape the rat race of the city and relocate to CT where they purchase a farm stead only to learn that it is beyond repari at which time they build their dream house . . . . (Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House)

I also carry several of my favorite classic television comedies on DVD including:
  • My Mother the Car
  • Hazel
  • Mr. Ed
  • I Love Lucy
  • The Doris Day Show
On my list of movies that I would like to have in my collection that don't seem to have ever been offered on video is the 1974 remake of Miracle on 34th Street that stars David Niven and Sebastian Cabot. This remake, to me, is better than the original as well as the third remake.

I will admit to having at least one large storage bin filled with videos for each trip. When in transit, I don't like to take the time to setup the satellite dish so often the videos are the only form of entertainement when local television doesn't offer anything of interest.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Titanic.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master
1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Kind of all over the place, but these are things I can watch over and over, are all comedy, almost.

Jaques Tati "Traffic", a great road trip movie.
Our holiday film is "Auntie Mame" (1958) with Rosalind Russell
"One Week" with Buster Keaton
"Philadelphia Story" with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn
"Dark Habits" and "Volver" by Pedro Amoldovar
"Best in Show" or pretty much anything by Christopher Guest
"Safety Last" with Harold Lloyd
"Rocky Horror Picture Show"
"The Wizard of Oz"

Wherever you go, there you are
Globie64 is offline   Reply With Quote