Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Fast Track in my future?

Hi, I usually don't drive where the Fast Track systems are. On the 91 FWY I get out of the car pool lane for the distance where Fast Track is mandatory. And I for sure don't tow in these lanes, but now the 110 Harbor freeway requires a Fast Track transponder and now I can't tow acrossed the Golden Gate Bridge with out one. Am I getting too old to drive across a bridge now? Sign up for Fast Track, pay in advance, pay with credit card, make an appointment to cross the bridge, [must be used within 30 days] Etc. Etc. Etc. Do I have to sign up for Fast Track and get a transponder for each vehicle. Will it be cheaper because they won't see my trailer, or will they?

CONFUSED!
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
If it's like the EZ Pass system, the system detects how many axles you have and charges appropriately.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I'm sorry,

Did I read the post correctly? One has to make an appointment to drive across a bridge?

I was aware California had almost gone around the bend, but that is really a WTF thing.

No thanks.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
JD, this is not that new of a thing. Here in Washington we have a few bridges that are toll. The EZ pass makes it "easy" for you to drive across without stopping and "easy" for them to collect.

In our current anti-tax environment we will see more and more fees for the things we need and use. Planning a trip to the Olympic peninsula this summer and will drive over the Tacoma Narrows bridge instead of paying a very large ferry fee. The bridge is now a toll bridge so I am going to pay one way or the other. Welcome to the "less tax" world.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
If you don't have FasTrak they will send you a bill when you cross the GG bridge.

If you live in California, why not get FasTrak? I can't believe the number of people that line up to pay their tolls with cash when trying to leave town on Friday or return on Sunday. FasTrak doesn't cost anything and it's a huge convenience if you drive on toll road or cross bridges, even occasionally (no, I don't work for FasTrak). They automatically calculate the # of axles and charge your pass, accordingly.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I was confussed also until I read the facts. Now I find the whole thing laughable.
Other than FasTrac or Carpool, driver are charged using cameras that detect license plate numbers and run them through registration databases. Drivers can set up license plate accounts, prepay tolls with cash at kiosks or wait to receive bills in the mail.Dietrich Stroeh, a bridge district board member who lives in Novato, said he has received positive feedback about the new system.
"It works pretty darned well," he said. "I've had a number of people say to me, 'It's the greatest thing since sliced bread.'"
For more information, call **442 (**GGB) from a cellphone, or visit www.goldengate.org/tolls.

I think they will loose a bunch of revenue, then change back to toll takers.

Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Thanks for a another description.

I suppose a very political discussion is only one short mis-step away.

I have no wish to start it, but I do wonder to myself about the balance between fair taxation and seemingly uncontrolled, if not welcomed, government growth and control.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Florida is slowly going to a " Pay by plate" system on the Fl. Turnpike. It's already up and running on the very southern miles below Miami. Last year we used it with our AS in tow but they never sent a bill. I suspect that their camera just got the top of the AS and not the plate so they couldn't track us. Try it and see what happens. Here in the northeast most all use the EZ-pass. Works well with only one snag. Rt. 78 crossing the river into Penna. has hit me 2x with commercial tractor trailer rate for my airstream. When I check it they will correct it but that's the only issue I've had with it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I just checked my EZ-pass acct. Last thursday we took our trailer to a repair shop in NYS for some work. I took the scenic route and used the Bear Mtn. Bridge over the Hudson River and they charged me wrong. Only $1.25 instead of the $4.50. First time the error was ever in my favor. We'll see if they catch it.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
So how would this work for someone just visiting the state?

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I usually don't drive where the Fast Track systems are. On the 91 FWY I get out of the car pool lane for the distance where Fast Track is mandatory. And I for sure don't tow in these lanes, but now the 110 Harbor freeway requires a Fast Track transponder and now I can't tow acrossed the Golden Gate Bridge with out one. Am I getting too old to drive across a bridge now? Sign up for Fast Track, pay in advance, pay with credit card, make an appointment to cross the bridge, [must be used within 30 days] Etc. Etc. Etc. Do I have to sign up for Fast Track and get a transponder for each vehicle. Will it be cheaper because they won't see my trailer, or will they?

CONFUSED!
I don't know how they do it but every time I cross a bridge they count the axles. I cross the Richmond/San Rafael and Bencia bridges from time to time and it's about $20 each time.

As far as Fast Track I've got a transponder for each vehicle (3) and there is no charge to get one and no charge to own one. You deposit some money in your account and they draw it out and charge your card when it gets low. I've had the transponders since day one and never had an issue or problem.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I wondered how they factored the trailer in tow. Last time I towed my two axle featherlite trailer of the GG Bridge is was $24.00! One vehicle is $5.00 with Fast pass... I dont get the math?!

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Although we live in MN, we have had the EZ-pass transponders ever since we could get them for driving through Chicago and IL. We have used them traveling in IN, OH, PA, NY, and MA without any issues, both towing and traveling solo. I check the charges after each trip, and never found an incorrect charge. We have 4 vehicles and two transponders all tied into the same account. Each transponder has a $10 deposit on it, which eventually we'll get back if we ever stop using them.

Toll roads and toll bridges are a fact of life, and there will be more of them as time goes on. I’m not saying I like toll roads, but if I can save time by having a transponder and not have to stop and pay cash, I'm all for it.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
I wondered how they factored the trailer in tow. Last time I towed my two axle featherlite trailer of the GG Bridge is was $24.00! One vehicle is $5.00 with Fast pass... I dont get the math?!
Cuz they have different rates for the transponder holders and the non-transponder holders. Same as IL toll roads. You pay a higher rate if you do not have a transponder. And typically, towing a 2 axel trailer is going to be more than twice a solo auto or pickup truck.

Since this discussion is primarily about the GG Bridge, I Googled its tool rates: http://goldengatebridge.org/tolls_traffic/toll_rates.php
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
This whole fastrack deal in ca stinks. Why didn't they just embed RFID tags in the reg. decal, or plate and charge all accumulated fees at renewal time?
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Stephanie, if your question was regarding my post about Florida and out of state, they have your information from your car registration and they send you a bill at the end of the month for all of your Florida activity + a service charge. Like I said though I did not see the bill. If it's a rental it just would go through the rental company. They know who you are.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18