Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2005, 12:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Fanatic!? I'm not a fanatic...?!?!?

Hi all -

Just a passing thought as I was wandering the web on another of my passions..... Boston Whalers. A VERY passionate bunch they! Sound familiar?

Are there any other folks out there that have other 'pursuits' they might consider passions or different ways to spend time and energy, enjoy life, and empty that checkbook??? Let 'er rip people! Any and all thoughts welcomed!

Thinking along the purely "puritan" avenues of delights but others might have different ideas - listening?!? Just curious though. Know that there are "Mustang" people, audiophyles, gardeners, house restorers, AS restorers, etc....

Love the "All or nothing" type of attitude that sort of self selects around AirStreams and other types of living, being different and just a general 'love of life and people" that goes to being a bit outside the 'I drive a "Taurus" or "Camry" lifestyle' that seems to define the AS group.

Anxious to see the responses!

I LOVE being different!

Axel
SilverToy
factor8man@yahoo.com
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 04:55 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Axel, I also help restore WWII military aircraft, as well as collecting toy trains. We have several aircraft in various states of disrepair/disassembly, and 4 train sets floating around the house. I guess I can't decide what to be obsessed with!
Here is a link to one of those forums, you may find it eerily familiar:
www.railroadforums.com
Old 10-01-2005, 05:58 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Your mean there is something else?

other than Airstreams???? I/we have an accumulation of tractors and I have a sizeable collection of Raleigh 3sp bicycles and parts. Also for some unknow reason Coleman camp stoves and lanterns. It might be interesting to see what a personality profile would show about us....but maybe on second thought

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 07:40 AM   #4
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Talking

So many hobbies...too little time. You've made me think a little about my wandering interests. It's obvious to me that my distractions are based on 3 things: speed, tools, and physical dexterity. If it moves, it's cool. If it requires a new tool I'll buy it. If it's a physical challege it gives me a full body rush. My lasting hobbies are those that require using tools on things that move and if it's something to drive, ride or fly that's the ultimate.

I enjoy building and driving RC cars and planes. I'm also a pilot that likes autoracing and am a crew member on an amateur race team. I've always been interested in restoring (and using) antique woodworking tools and furniture. Welding and metalworking are more recent passions. The majority of hobbies were set aside for the most part when my sons were born but the older they get the more we've explored their interests and some of my childhood hobbies....trains, slot cars, modeling and sports. Now the attraction of any hobby is how it draws our family together and helps my boys have fun, learn, grow and experience challenges that will serve them for a lifetime.

The Airstream it turns out has been a surprise disappointment except that I'm hoping it will be a lasting useful tool. I'm not really into parking in the woods and doing nothing. But park next to a racetrack, a mountain, the ocean, or a flea market and we might be getting somewhere. When a project stagnates I'm on to the next one, but the TT has been fun to work on, I love the research and there's still plenty to accomplish on her.

Keep busy,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 07:41 AM   #5
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Greasy kid stuff...

My latest passion is kid stuff--getting my three year old ready for life outside. So each stage I research, ask advice (no nearby grandparents so its tougher), look on the web, buy toys, invest in preschool, etc...probably not the hobby you were hoping for, but it is my current thing besides airstreams...a friend said its a hobby called "life shaping"
Old 10-01-2005, 07:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

In motorcycling there are Harley Davidson owners, of course, and Honda Goldwing riders, but there is a surprising body of Vespa enthusiasts out there.

I could note hard core bicyclists (guilty here), but the seemingly impossibly narrow band of fans of Campagnolo cycling equipment has to be experienced to be believed. See http://www.campyonly.com/ .

Mark
Old 10-01-2005, 07:50 AM   #7

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
...the seemingly impossibly narrow band of fans of Campagnolo cycling equipment has to be experienced to be believed. See http://www.campyonly.com/ .
Mark, you win unless somebody can show us their Airstream tatoo!!!
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
Old 10-01-2005, 07:52 AM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
As a person who really enjoys flyfishing but picked it up later in life, I really enjoy a historic quality bamboo fly rod. I've collected a few here and there and won't own them if I won't fish them. Before flyfishing, I was an avid model car builder. They all had to be something completely different than straight out of the box and had to have poseable steering, every electrical wire, plumbing line, even been known to make working linkage and u-joints. As you can probably tell, way over the top and too time intensive. Flyfishing is a more relaxing and rewarding hobby. Next will be welding and metalwork.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:25 AM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Brad is hooked, I know. He got me hooked too!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
Mark, you win unless somebody can show us their Airstream tatoo!!!
Where's Patti when you need her! She has a Flying Cloud tattoo on her arm...close up can be seen in the new Waunderlust book ~

I'm working on a GlobeTrotter!

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raimondo, Patti-c.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	15008  
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:21 AM   #11

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
I don't fish but I've always admired this TT group...

http://www.sistersonthefly.com/

Steve
Old 10-01-2005, 10:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I don't think that fishing for practically every day for the past 3 straight months in Montana and British Columbia makes me a fanatic, do you?

Now that we've been back home for the past 2 days, my wife has already begun talking about plans for next summer. She's the fanatic!

John
Old 10-01-2005, 12:19 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Guilty as charged.

The Crime: Fly-fishing fanatic.

I took it up later in life, my son actually got me into it (speaking of fanatics, he'd fish everyday).

There's a nice, natural symmetry in A/S'ing anf Flyfishing.

Ken.
TroutStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 03:27 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Mustangs and Miatas are a long-time favorite of mine. Brad, before I did 1:1 cars, I built a lot of very nice 1:24 cars, all detailed out as you speak of. Someday I would like to build a 1:24 car dealership building to park them all in.

I just started fishing this year and really enjoy it. I wouldn't mind a rally focussed around fishing. Somewhere by a lake, just hanging out fishing all day. Ah, that would be the life! I tried fly fishing but the old rod my father-in-law gave us to use split. So maybe next year I'll get another fly rod and work on learning that. To me that seems like a hobby that would never get old!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
I feel a new fanticism coming on...

I test drove (& almost ordered) a Mini-S today ~ zoom-zoom!

I'm sleeping on it...for about 10 minutes!

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 10-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #16
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Now that would make a lousy tow vehicle unless you got an even smaller Airstream.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
This message comes from the assembly point of Cycle North Carolina. About 1120 bicycle riders of all sorts will begin a ride from Asheville NC to Wilmington NC ....462 miles in six days.
Of that group there are factions of fanatisism ... mine is the recumbent cycle version.... of course mine is all aluminum too!!
I'm only going to do the first three days, the hard part, then follow the route as support while I work my sales territory.
This bunch came together from as far away as Spain, as well as almost every state in the union.
Ride, eat, sleep, repeat for 462 miles is the "moto" for the year.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Now that would make a lousy tow vehicle unless you got an even smaller Airstream.

Brad
FF
Yeah...but it'll be a ton-o-fun when I'm NOT towing!

Shari

Old 10-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Ah well ... I will fess up ... another fly fisher. The wife is into photography and there are no more beatiful places than where the trout gather. The trailer is just the means to THAT end.

I think the fly fisher folks need their own thread.

Iver
Iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:02 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

I have a hole in the water, into which I throw money. But I live in it 6 months out of the year. Mac
McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote