Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2005, 10:02 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
RAGBRAI anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
This message comes from the assembly point of Cycle North Carolina. About 1120 bicycle riders of all sorts will begin a ride from Asheville NC to Wilmington NC ....462 miles in six days.
How does over 10,000 riders riding 500 miles in Iowa over 6 days sound? When I rode in RAGBRAI (http://www.ragbrai.org/) back in 1986, they broke 10,000 riders. It is quite an event. That was back in the day when I could ride 100 miles without batting an eyelash. Now, almost 20 years later, with two bad knees, I can only look back with fond memories. Now I have my motorcycle.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 03:40 PM   #22
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Hey Axel, does beer count as a hobby?

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
How does over 10,000 riders riding 500 miles in Iowa over 6 days sound? When I rode in RAGBRAI (http://www.ragbrai.org/) back in 1986, they broke 10,000 riders.
I've done Paris-Brest-Paris three times. Three thousand riders from 25 or so countries doing 1200 Kilometers (750 miles) with a maximum allowable time of 90 hours. The winners will come in under 46 hours, with no sleep. I slept four hours my first time out; even less on the next two.

I still get cold chills when I think of coming into small French villages at impossible hours of the morning and finding maybe half the population out cheering as every rider goes by - hour after hour.

Mark
Old 10-03-2005, 08:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Glad to see someone else shares my twin addiction of Whaler and Airstream. Sure meet a lot people when I take out either one.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:21 PM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Mine is Disney...as you can tell my handle. We live about 6-1/2 hours from Walt Disney World and have annual passes and make it down to the "World" about three to four times a year. We have been as many as six times in one year. We usually stay eight days at one of the Walt Disney World resorts. Our next trip will be for a short four day trip the third week end in October when the kids have a four-day weekend from school. We will be attending Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. We hope to try Fort Wilderness fall of '06. We have two young sons, ages 8 and 5. This is one vacation destination that my wife and I truly enjoy and that our boys enjoy as much as we do. When asked why we go so often, I tell my friends, "Where else can you go that the kids enjoy as much as the parents!"

I collect many different Disney memorabilia. I also collect pre-1972 matchbox cars and vintage fountain pens (my daily writer is a 1947 Parker Model 51).

On a tangent note, when he is old enough to leave his mother I will be picking up a cocker spaniel puppy when we return from Disney World at the end of the month. I put a deposit on him this week end and asked the breeder to start using his name. His name will be "Sulley" after the Disney/Pixar Monsters, Inc. character James P. Sullivan and I am considering training him for field trials and competing with him when he is old enough. I guess that would be hobby number five after Airstreaming.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Guess I what I got...!?!

Hi all!

Guess I got I got...!?!

Figured I'd get the fishing (lots!), modeling(a few), Tractors( a few), AS'ing (Obviously!), and the woodworking-flying-HD's-etc. LOVED the beer one!!!! Yeah baby! Sip a 'Warsteiner' , 'Kaiser' or 'Gosser' for me!!!! Anyone get the Euro beer references?? You know who you are!!!! MGD and PBR only goes so far....

I guess that I expected a bit more 'diversity' than exhibited itself in the 38 odd replys so far. Not that I'm knocking it, but no one mentioned 'HOTtubs'! No one mentioned latex or leather or .... Tame group this first go around???

No seriously, whatever float your "Whaler" boat is OK by me, Boston Whaler!!! - WAY COOL!!! Did I mention that I think I have found a first production year 13' Sport model?? Still researching the molded model number but these things got me thinking about, well, our other obsessions. Maybe there will be more responses coming....

LOVE to hear what some of the rest of you out there are thinking/obsessing about as the days come and go!!!!

Looking forward to the next 30 or 40 replys!

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:34 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Opps!

Hi all!

Meant 26 replys - not 38. Sorry!

Axel
Old 10-04-2005, 04:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Arg! and double Opps!

Hello again!

Went back thru the messages and forgot 2 of my favorites, Trains and RC Cars/ Vehicles. How could I forget these 2, I ask you???

Since trains are a childhood obsession - I had 24x24 layouts with the full working town( with slot car track and racing embedded in the streets) and mountains, town and the tressel(sp?), 8 rail Switchyard, full scenery and all that. Remote switching was a given!!!!! Mine was the Illinous Southern Railway- everyone has "that one" for themselves! And of course, I lOVED the UPasific until I had to crate it all! With the big Yellow and red - Nothing better!!!!!! Unfortunatly I had to have it all currently boxed and crated for the time than I get the itch, so we can get things moving... Now, however, If my son came to a place of interest, I would allow him the place to experience and play with the idea of ?????

The sawhorses and the 4x8's await the day and the time...

As to RC. Well, the yard is (unbeknownst to the wife!!) slowly getting to the double set of whoop-de-do's with a banked 180 into a set of left/right sweepers with a killer MAX air triple that is likely to break every piece of equipment I currently own! No matter as they make excellent replacement parts! Sound like AirStreamin???

Had to go back and give some 'props' to my boys and ladies in the train and RC hobby and hope that we can come up with perhaps several "splinter' groups within AirStream Forums that might like to talk about thier particular "affliction" with like minded folks!?

And obviously, there are GIANT communittes that can and will hash out the $ and the PI and the Media side of all this. Not to mention the MASSIVE number of people that are needed to 'forward' the situation.

I saw we can DO it ALL!!!!!!

It is easy to make statements - we need ACTION! And fun of course.

We CAN do it all!

Axel
Old 10-04-2005, 05:42 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Well, where to begin...

First would have to be the Burning man event because we do spend all year planning for it. Planning camp and art projects, etc... Then when we get out there we do spend 2 weeks in what amounts to a working vacation for us.
When we finally come home we have such a tough time adjusting to real life!

Secondly would have to be astronomy. With 3 large aperture scopes in our possession, we do love to look at the heavens!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:18 AM   #30
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
On a tangent note, when he is old enough to leave his mother I will be picking up a cocker spaniel puppy when we return from Disney World at the end of the month. I put a deposit on him this week end and asked the breeder to start using his name. His name will be "Sulley"
I look forward to meeting Sulley at the rally at the end of October. We'll be bringing Terra (English Setter) and Tilda (Chihuahua mix) again.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:30 AM   #31
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Prior to, perhaps even parallel to, obsessing over vintage Airstream stuff, I am enjoying a 1959 Mercedes sedan. It is also my almost daily driver, chugging back and forth to the office. 44 miles a day.
Oh, the other thing is my motorcycle. If it wasn't for the Airstream and Mercedes hogging all my time, I would probably obsess over that. It's the only thing I own that actually gets professional care, simply because I don't have time to mess with it. Maybe that's a good thing.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:17 PM   #32
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
This is going to be one of silliest entries here, but I recently have become obsessed about preventing my 28 ft Zip Dee awning from becoming damaged. During the movie at the Ft. Desoto rally, I excused myself to go roll my awning up because it was lightning. At home I put the Tropical Porch on it, and at every drop of rain or boom of thunder, I go outside and see if I want to tilt it, anchor it, or retract it. When it rains, I wonder if I have it tilted enough... or tilted in the proper direction for the angle of the rainfall... and I push up on the bottomside if I think water is pooling in the curvature.

I spent my last day off putting indoor-out carpet (fake astroturf) down under the awning so I wouldn't track so much stuff into the trailer...

My neighbors are beginning to think I'm eccentric, but I swear I haven't checked on it more than a dozen times today. (It rained all day.)
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:39 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
I have transferred most of my concentration to my new 77 Overlander. I also love anything that requires me to buy a new tool. I have transferred deck building, swim spa construction, crack house renovation obessions to the airstream. Reading is my lifelong reward for completed obsessions. I have only preserved one other hobby and that is cycling. Of course I have an all alluminum bicycle. Since I bought the dodge ram 2500 diesel to pull the airstream, I can no longer afford the gas to drive to work. First practical obsession for me!
dustyrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:38 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Nikon cameras. Leica cameras. Contax cameras. Le Creuset pots.
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:50 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Leica!?!?! I LOVE Leica's!

Powerstroke -

Dad had a Leica collection. All cameras that he or friends had and travelled with. The photos..... Bring tears to your eyes when you see them!

He still has trays and trays of slides from this and that... Still has a few cameras but they are in safety deposit boxes somewhere and don't see use of the light of day anymore. Sigh.

Ah well, better not to dwell. Nice to see a reference though! Any photos of the Leica's?

Ciao
Old 10-05-2005, 06:47 AM   #36
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
at every drop of rain or boom of thunder, I go outside and see if I want to tilt it, anchor it, or retract it. When it rains, I wonder if I have it tilted enough... or tilted in the proper direction for the angle of the rainfall... and I push up on the bottomside if I think water is pooling in the curvature.

My neighbors are beginning to think I'm eccentric, but I swear I haven't checked on it more than a dozen times today. (It rained all day.)
Is that fanaticism? I thought that was being cautious!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:50 AM   #37
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
Leica cameras.
M3, M2, M4-2, M4 (had 'em in that order)... Summicron... Summaron... Elmar... Tele-Elmarit...

'bout says it all!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote