Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Faithful Trailer Companions

I've noticed some of our compadres on the forums have shared stories about their faithful trailer dogs. Mrs Hut and me lost our 14 year old retriever this year and I shared my thoughts about these faithful friends in this story.
Airstream Life Tin Hut’s story …

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Wow, what a story. We have only had four dogs and they were all different and special in their own way. My first dog was a Black Lab mix. I named him Blackie Carbon. Blackie was the smartest dog ever and the fastest. My second Dog was a purebred Collie. He came from a family of champion show dogs, so his house name was Champ. Champ had large feet and really small eyes, so his AKC name was Tiny Eyes Clydesdale. Champ was the freindliest and prettiest one. Dog number three was a purebred Beagle. His house name was Benny and his AKC name was Benjamin Oscar Beagle. My daughters thought we should give him a name with initials the spelled BOB, my name. Benny was also called a Beafy Beagle by a passerby stranger and the name stuck. The fourth and last dog was a purebred mutt. Her mother was a purebred Maltese and her father was a purebred Silky Terrier. Her name was Koma, with a meaning in a foreign language. We called her Komaya most of the time and sometimes referred to her as the Furball. Komaya was the tiniest, but the feistiest, and fearless of all size dogs and cats. Now we are petless. I have saved all of the collars from these dogs and use them for holding extension cords, water hoses, and my 30 Amp power cord in place. All of these dogs have camped with us; The last two in our Airstream.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Bad as I'd love to be rich, I'll take the trailer full of love any day.

Our little Border Collie, Buddy, was wild as a march hare when he was delivered to us. Ran straight off into the cedars & only came in to spend the night with his favorite horse. And he'd obviously been severely mistreated by some human in the past. When I'd go out to feed mornings & evenings, Buddy would run back to the safety of his cedars. But gradually, over several months, we'd feel a wet nose sniffing a hand behind us. Maybe a nose in the butt. A month or so after he'd make that difficult first step, he was all ours. I'll skip the few years of peaceful bliss and go right to the point - my Judi became very sick & was in & out of hospitals & doctor's offices for nearly 4 years. Well, little Buddy decided that from then on, the proper care of my Judi was going to be his life's calling. From that day forward, if he got his way, he was never more than 15 feet away from Judi, night & day. The few times we had to leave him at home, he'd cry for the longest time when we got home. Now I know he loves me. He always puts his chin on my lap & snoozes as we drive down the road. But it was my Judi that he so clearly adored. To this day, the Airstream isn't his very most favorite place to be. But if Judi was there, well, so was our Buddy. Now that my Judi has passed away, Buddy is definately in mourning. He knows she's not here, but can't figure out why. He no longer sleeps in the bed - Momma's not there. What I'm saying is that I've seen what unconditional love & devotion truly is, and one day I hope that same devotion is given to me.

Bottom line? I'd much rather have that trailer full of puppy love than all the tea in China.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
We lost our Australian Shepherd last year. Passion was a great dog and we do miss her. She was only 12 1/2. We just got an other Australian Shepherd puppy last month. Biscuit looks like he is going to develope into a great dog too. It does take time to get over the loss of a companion dog. We've only had six dogs in 34 years of marriage. We know how it is to lose an old friend.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Thanks Hut for sharing a great story. I know what you are feeling. On July 2nd I lost my beloved friend of 12 yrs. A Sub Miniature Schnauzer Female GIDGETT, she was only 9 1/2 lbs, she was the runt of the litter. She would climb on my lap as I put my legs in and made myself comfortable in the truck seat. She was always in my chair and slept on the same pillow that I lay my head on.
It's really tough not having her. I take solace in the fact like you I was there when she took her first breath and her last and hopefully made her life as pleasant as she made mine.
She left a very large whole in our hearts,that is now filled in some small measure by a 1 1/2 yr old Golden Retriever named Copper who we adopted from a young couple in the service who could not take him to Germany with them.
Hut don't give up,fill the void with another four legged trailer friend ASAP. it helps ease the pain.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote