Old 05-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Info...

HI ALL...
Anyone care 2 fill Me in on the terms Rock Island Line & Mason-Dixon line ? I hear them in loads of C/W Songs & seems this topic has a kinda Bridge theme...I 4rt I jus ask... FANX...Chris.....

Old 05-12-2006, 02:30 PM   #16
Site Team

, Minnesota
Chris,

The Rock Island Line was a railroad, originally built to connect the Illinois and the Mississippi Rivers. There is also a popular song about it by Lead Belly.

The Mason-Dixon line is an early survey line between Pennsylvania and Maryland, but it also was the dividing line between the free and slave states.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:07 PM   #17
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
We stopped using the PA Turnpike when the tolls for the motorhome and toad (5 axels) hit $37 EACH WAY. Traveling a little further north on 80 saves us way more than the additional gas burned to get there. Not to mention I think it's a easier road to travel through PA on in an RV.

I don't mind paying tolls if they are reasonable and the roads travelled show signs of these tax dolalrs at work, but the PA Turnpike is always a mess.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
We stopped using the PA Turnpike when the tolls for the motorhome and toad (5 axels) hit $37 EACH WAY. Traveling a little further north on 80 saves us way more than the additional gas burned to get there. Not to mention I think it's a easier road to travel through PA on in an RV.

I don't mind paying tolls if they are reasonable and the roads travelled show signs of these tax dolalrs at work, but the PA Turnpike is always a mess.
Here, here for the PA Turnpike!!! I've never been so beat up - with or without the AS!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #19
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
America 4 $ale

Illinois has just sold one of its toll roads to a company overseas, really, no kidding!

But real soon, gas at the pump will be priced without tax.

As technology improves (using a combo of GPS and EZpass) and this system is being tested as we speak, you will NOT be taxed per gal, YOU will taxed per MILE.

As gas mileage improves the state, city and fed will lose millions in tax revenue, solution: tax us per mile, just think about it. Your little "Speed Pass" is picked-up at the gas pump, it knows how many miles you traveled since your last gas stop and charges your CC or Debt card+the gas per gal price, smooth.

They track your every mile, know when you cross state, city and local lines, how fast your going, oops going to fast, instant speeding ticket! The company that is buying the toll road in IL will be tracking speed and splitting the speeding fines with the state, the state likes it.

But it's all for our own protection, of course.

Ah, it's a brave new world.

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote