Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Cooksburg , Pennsylvania

Has anyone purchased the extended third party insurance?
If so what did you think of it?
I have until the 13th of September to decide if I want to purchase it for my 2011 AS

Cheeplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I didn't.

I will observe that the most serious warranty problems found thus far in my traylah have been related to the air conditioner and the range, which are covered under their own warranties, not by Airstream.

Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #3

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
As a general rule of thumb, extended warranties are offered by for-profit companies with the expectation that they'll make money off of them. Now, some people with a warranty have expensive problems and the warranty is well worth it, but you never know until it's happened.

Think of extended warranties as exchanging treasure for security. In MOST cases, if you put the money equivalent to the price of an extended warranty in a savings account as a rainy-day fund and use it to address things that aren't covered by the manufacturer's warranty but WOULD be covered by the extended one, you'll end up with cash left over at the time the extended warranty would have expired.

I've never bought one myself, but I did pay $50 to transfer an existing one to my name when I bought a year-old car from my uncle. The only time I had occasion to use the warranty, I almost had to threaten a lawsuit to get them to cover a coolant leak. If the dealer hadn't been supportive, it probably would have gone to court (this was in the early '90s, before arbitration was as ubiquitous as it is now.)
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I didn't buy extended warranty for reasons in the post above.

One other very strong consideration for me is the inconvenience of taking the trailer to a service center, and returning it home. It is simply easier and cheaper to do minor or moderate repairs myself. If you are handy with tools give this some consideration.

In the case of my '05 an extended warranty would not have paid for itself, even if I took it in for all repairs.

If you do buy the warranty for peace of mind reasons, be sure to research the company.

If you have an unusual useage pattern, lets say a washing machine for a family of 8, perhaps you can beat the odds of the extended warranty.

But my recommendation is to deposit the money you would spend for the warranty in a savings account. Do this for everything you would consider a warranty for. Become your own warranty company. I suspect you'll earn some tax free income.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by Cheeplow View Post
Has anyone purchased the extended third party insurance?
If so what did you think of it?
I have until the 13th of September to decide if I want to purchase it for my 2011 AS
Most extended warranty programs, borderline on "fraud".

What they tell you and what they will in fact do, is miles apart.

When a shop calls in for approval, no problem.

When that shop processes the paperwork, now the true colors come into play. All kinds of excuses will be extended as to why they will now, not pay for what they approved.

Most shops, will not do extended warranty work, for that reason.

Those shops will make you pay, so that you have to do the battle.

Save your money!!!!!

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I went to buy a couple of small televisions for my office and the wife's studio. The pencil-thin mustache salesman suggested I buy the "extended warranty". I told him, "no". He laughed in that way that would indicate I was a idiot. I told him to stick it and went to another outlet and bought the same units. Twenty years later those units are still working.
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
I have had good luck with extended warranties. I like the comfort of knowing I have it in case of a big problem.

With extended warranties I had a microwave replaced, since they don't repair them anymore. Cheaper to replace, I guess. Also a convertor replaced. Other smaller items with no problem.

Have your dealer get it approved ahead of time and only bill for what was approved. I had no problems. It is a little more work for the dealer. I had to pay my $50.00 deductible, of course.
LLB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Extended warranties are money makers for those selling them and they count on the insecurity and passive nature of those attracted to the scam. Most aren't worth the paper they're printed on. There are always exceptions... but very few. One I can think of is, anything made by Land Rover. Extended warranty.... worth every penny.

craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote