Old 11-14-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Everyone ok in Denver?

I just saw the news today that the Denver area was blasted with their first major snowstorm of the year. I hope you are ok and that your Airstreams are all winterized!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks for asking, but...

There's no snow in Denver today (high 55/low 32). There is in the mountains though. They are getting blasted, but it's not predicted to hit the city. We'll see ~

We've actually already had three minor (5-9") snows with 80-degrees in between ~ go figure!

Most folks don't realize Denver is not in the mountains...we are actually on the eastern plains right up against the mountains. The elevation of Denver is 5280, the areas hit with this storm are at 7000-14000+ elevations. Storms often hit the mountains and leave us alone ~

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Okay, we asked for it!

We are getting our White Christmas! Woke up this morning without any snow at all...now there is over 19" and counting. Over 1" per hour and not expected to let up until tomorrow afternoon.

Fun for my folks coming from Arizona and my brother from California...if they can get here!

Merry Christmas ~

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	29977  

Old 12-20-2006, 11:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
My son, grandson, and friends just had their flights into Denver for tomorrow canceled--ski trip to Copper Mountain before the holiday and before his second baby (a first granddaughter for us is born in mid January. They wouldn't be dissuaded from switching to driving, so they've just left, stopping in Salina to reassess and sleep awhile, and then they hope to head on west. Another couple on this same trip but traveling separately, left to get ahead of the storm and they now are holed up in Goodland, KS. Denver IA is not scheduled to reopen until after 8 pm tomorrow. This explains why I'm up on the forums instead of snoozing: a typical worried mom, even though he approaches 40. Didn't I hear somewhere about the advanced age of men before they reach "adulthood"? I think this is a case in point!! Somehow, I suspect they'll end up having a long trip to mid Kansas and a return trip home, sans skiing. I'm worried, but I really do hope they get their trip in since they've set forth. Friends, cross fingers and toes they'll travel safely, reach their destination, and return home intact on Christmas Eve. Do parents EVER stop worrying aboaut their kids???????? Denver folks, or those on up in the Rockies, please keep posting the progress of this storm from your up close and personal perspective. Hope you all safely enjoy the snow-in, the white Christmas, and the digging out. It doesn't seem like we can have clear ground here after our dump of snow two weeks ago. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
The roads were really bad here (just west of Denver, but not quite into the foothills) today, it took me 2-1/2 hours to get home from Golden early this afternoon...it's normally a 12-15 minute drive. I-70 is closed from just east of Denver all the way to the Kansas border and @ "Floyd Hill", about 30 miles west of Denver. The news is saying to not even attempt to go out until it at least stops snowing...about noon on Thursday. DIA (the all-weather airport ) won't be allowing planes to take off until tomorrow night.

The biggest problem this evening is that people just abandoned their cars on the highways so the snow plows can't even clear the roads. The National Guard is now involved in towing the stranded cars so the road crews can get to work.

Sorry to say, your son is probably not going to make it to Copper (about 70 miles from me)...at least tomorrow. If he does, have him wave as he goes through town! Another (much smaller) storm is supposed to be hitting on Saturday. Just tell them to be smart...there will be other ski trips!

Shari

Old 12-20-2006, 11:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Thanks, Shari, for the information from your view. Suffice it to say, I pleaded with them to be "smart," but I'm just Mom! I too think I'll see them with a (disappointing to them) turnaround. I just don't believe those roads are going to open tomorrow with the massive bulk of snow, augmented by wind. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Here ya go: 9NEWS.com | Home Page

A little busy right now so it's slow...but it'll keep you up to date.

Shari

Old 12-21-2006, 06:17 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Well my brother lives in Denver (Highlands Ranch to be exact ) and is stuck in Iowa City until the airport reopens. I have curiosity question when did DEN become DIA? that makes two airports that I know of that have "made up" their own identifier. The other being GSO (Greensboro, NC) all the local signs call it PTI for Piedmont Triad International. Unfortunately I know the actual identifiers (guilt by association...wife is a Flight Attendant) and it drives me nuts, as though I needed help in that department Anyways everybody caught up in the blizzard stay safe, stay off the roads and be careful. This time of year I keep a winter emergency kit in my truck, in the warmer months it is a hurricane emergency kit...not much difference between them...just the seasons

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:20 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Thanks, Shari, for the information from your view. Suffice it to say, I pleaded with them to be "smart," but I'm just Mom! I too think I'll see them with a (disappointing to them) turnaround. I just don't believe those roads are going to open tomorrow with the massive bulk of snow, augmented by wind. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh. ~G
Georgia,
Since when do children listen to their parents but the good news is payback time is coming for you, when they try to tell you something "for your own good" you can just keep doing your own thing and blame it on advanced age My mom is a wonder kid at that so I know where I get it from

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I have curiosity question when did DEN become DIA? that makes two airports that I know of that have "made up" their own identifier.
DIA is what everybody calls it Denver International Airport - DEN is still the airport identifier. Been that way ever since they opened 10+ years ago.

BTW 25" & counting...airport isn't going to open until tonight, they are saying 8:00pm. Hope your brother can get home soon!

Shari

Old 12-21-2006, 10:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
You can see photos of my snow-buried Airstreams here http://www.airforums.com/forum...2-post559.html

Palmer Lake is reputed to have the most snow, year after year, on the front range. We're right on top of the Palmer Divide, the high point of the interstate between Denver and Colorado Springs.

As a funny side note, my significant other flew in last night from San Francisco in the only airplane to land at COS all day. She made it 20 miles across town, but had to hole up in the Hilton (it couldn't have been the Super 8, now could it?) about 7 miles short of making it to the house, in an all-wheel drive Explorer, no less. News reports say the snow is melting in the vicinity of the Hilton--man, she must be hot (that's the feeling I get from the phone calls, anyway). It's 9 AM and no snowplows seen...yet.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:05 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Zep, I hope you got a snowblower! Or a big shovel!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
snowy here!

hi- I think the Denver and plains area got the worst of it because apparently it was blizzard winds down there for a day or so. Up here in Estes Park, at 7,500', we just got about 22" of snow that fell straight down, for a change! It has stopped snowing now, sun is just starting to come out, it is absolutely beautiful! The picture is from late yesterday afternoon, snow amount now is about twice what you see. It's been a while since we've had this white of a Christmas! -Happy holidays, tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snow.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	29993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snow1.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	29994  

Old 12-21-2006, 12:48 PM   #14
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I have curiosity question when did DEN become DIA? that makes two airports that I know of that have "made up" their own identifier. The other being GSO (Greensboro, NC) all the local signs call it PTI for Piedmont Triad International. Unfortunately I know the actual identifiers (guilt by association...wife is a Flight Attendant) and it drives me nuts...
yeah, me too. I think its just the local news people, thinking its "cutesy" to refer to the local airport with a "nickname", (like "J-Lo" ) and don't know that these tla's for airports are not random, or defined by the airport's common name, etc, etc. drives me nuts too. the tla's were created to avoid confusion; misusing them, or making up your own does the opposite.
The latest thing is that the folks in central FL all refer to the airport as "oh-eye-aye". The FAA designated, (and therefore, the only ~correct~ tla) is MCO.
For many years, I've heard the media refer to the Los Angelas International Airport by its "real" tla: LAX. I bet that's where it started.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote