Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Etiquette for roadside finds?

What's the protocol for spotting trailers parked in fields? I saw an old airstream in a field about 3 miles from my home. It clearly has been there a while. I was tempted to stop and knock on the door of the house nearby.

I also saw a gorgeous old silver streak in someone's driveway. Obviously a trailer they use but nice eye candy.
VtTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
From what I hear, lots of people have no etiquette at all about it. It's one thing (and seems perfectly reasonable) to stop and ask about a trailer that's sinking into a field, but apparently people stop and ask to buy the ones people park next to their houses, or are loading up to travel in.

I haven't had that experience with the Argosy, but it's only at the house for a day or so at a time before and after trips. When I had a '71 Skylark Custom Convertible, people would ask what I wanted for it at stoplights if I had the top down.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
It almost never hurts to stop and ask about a trailer or vehicle. I've had people knock on my door and ask if my trailers or cars are for sale, and had people stop me at in parking lots as well. I've also have lots of people stop just to talk about my vehicles, and that's normally nice and I welcome them to look if the person is pleasant. It's always nice to have people complement your work.

I do however dislike when people stop to talk about vehicles I have for sale when they have no intention or interest in buying. If there's a forsale sign in the window don't stop unless you're an interested buyer.
If it's not for sale you're free to make an offer but I also don't like to be insulted. If you're interested in buying make a reasonable and serious offer and try not to offend the owner.

If your just looking be upfront and tell the ower your're a fellow enthusiast, not a buyer, and be polite, they are normally welcoming.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
There was no sign on it but it looked pretty well part of that field. I've probably driven by it a hundred times but never noticed until I got bitten by the aluminum-bug. I'll keep an eye on it and see if a sign appears. Or maybe just knock on the door. It nothing else, maybe I'll get to hear a good story.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtTim View Post
There was no sign on it but it looked pretty well part of that field. I've probably driven by it a hundred times but never noticed until I got bitten by the aluminum-bug. I'll keep an eye on it and see if a sign appears. Or maybe just knock on the door. It nothing else, maybe I'll get to hear a good story.
By all means knock on the door. Our 1960 Pacer was sitting out behind a barn and the owner was wondering what to do with it when we came along and solved his problem. You never know unless you ask.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtTim View Post
What's the protocol for spotting trailers parked in fields? I saw an old airstream in a field about 3 miles from my home. It clearly has been there a while.
I don't know about etiquette but the financial protocol is to buy them for $4000 and spent two years and $40,000 on a shell off. It's worth asking, sure, but most of the restorable trailers have been cared for or kept inside, unless all you really want is the shell and a pattern for cabinets.

Quote:
I was tempted to stop and knock on the door of the house nearby.
In my overall experience the responses vary from the obnoxious to the friendly. An obnoxious reply may mean you handled the encounter poorly, or it may just reflect on the occupants of the house.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Everett , Washington
We get 5-6 people a year that knock on our door to either ask about our SilverStreak or offer to buy it. Most are generally pleasant, but some are a bit aggressive for my taste. This is just parked in front of our house on a dead end street.
When we were towing across the Puget sound on the ferry, we had a crowd of 10-12 people surround it, peeking in windows and asking a million questions. You would think it was rare or something!
Aaron
Old 02-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Without a shadow of doubt, I would knock on the door. Doesn't hurt to ask!!

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
One of my best buys was behind a barn for 12 years. When I knocked the owner was very happy to have someone save his trailer that he had bought new in 1971.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
It doesn't hurt to ask. Sooner rather than later. You never know if the person is on the verge of having someone tow it away for scrap. Not everyone thinks these old trailers are worth anything. Though if they've had enough people knock on their door, sometimes they have an over-inflated idea of what they're worth!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I found a google street view image of the trailer from September of 2008. So, it's been in that same spot for at least 4 years. How could I have never noticed it before?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
One of my best buys was behind a barn for 12 years. When I knocked the owner was very happy to have someone save his trailer that he had bought new in 1971.
What made it one of your best buys?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
WOW Tim....you're borderline stalking this trailer like an ex wife...looking it up and google and all...Don't worry...I do that too! I was driving down the road in so cal the other day and remember seeing a field of Airstreams. most likely a restoration business but I hopped on to google map satelite view to see if I could locate it. Still searching because that road is about 3 hours away from me and don't know when i'll be driving back down there. Anyway. Knock on the door but dont jump right into the airstream. If you're looking for a deal you gotta make friends first. Tell em you 'might' need water for your radiator or something. you never know what happens but guarantee you will NEVER know what happens unless you knock.

Speaking of barn finds it reminds me of this old ad from way back in the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dream+Barn+find+356+ad1202437757.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	178413  
Protohyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #14
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I have been using this technique for 30 years to buy cars, trailers etc.

Go knock on the door, when the person answers take a step back and say "Hi, I notice you have a (car, truck, trailer) you are not using and wonder if you would like to sell it?"

This has never caused offence. Usually the answer is no. In that case, thank them politely and leave. Or, you could continue the conversation and maybe they will change their mind, if this seems appropriate.

The best time to do this is Saturday morning when most people are home.

On a farm, if no one answers at the house, try the barn.

It is bad form to go snooping around without asking permission. This is when you meet ugly dogs and possibly an armed, angry stranger.

Once I bought a 1966 Dodge Coronet with 34000 original miles from the grandson of the original owner for $50. A teenager with a Sideshow Bob haircut answered the door and when I asked the question above, he said " I don't know, it's my dad's, but my mom has been after him to get rid of it".

When you hear that, you can write your own ticket.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
That is probably the most useful advice I've gotten. If there wasn't 6 inches of snow outside with another ten forecast for morning I'd go over and knock on the door tomorrow morning.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I have knocked on 5 doors asking about trailers. I bought 3 of those trailers, and another one was given to me for free. That experience was the owner, when asked if the trailer was for sale, said "Just a moment, I'll get the title." He handed me the signed title and said that I could pick up the trailer whenever I wanted, but that I would probably have to use my 4 wheel drive to get it out of the barnyard.
It never hurts to ask.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm with all those who go a knockin'! I spotted my Bambi II in the woods not far from my house. After a week or two of trying to get ahold of the owner, he was finally home (pit bulls & all). I've been rehabbing the little trailer for almost 2 years now (not that it has been a cheap venture!). I'm almost finished & am pretty proud of the little thing!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I guess stepping out of my comfort zone and knocking on a stranger's door is a small price to pay for the chance to own an American icon.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
well? did you knock!? did ya buy?

Quote:
I have knocked on 5 doors asking about trailers. I bought 3 of those trailers, and another one was given to me for free. That experience was the owner, when asked if the trailer was for sale, said "Just a moment, I'll get the title." He handed me the signed title and said that I could pick up the trailer whenever I wanted, but that I would probably have to use my 4 wheel drive to get it out of the barnyard.
It never hurts to ask.
also i want to know how long ago these events took place. I feel like everyone knows what airstreams are now a days and know how valuable they are.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
It was on February fifth that I first noticed the trailer. It's not far from my house and i just never notices it before. I mist have driven by it hundreds if not thousands of times. I just never cared before that I guess.

I have not knocked yet as there is still quite a bit of snow in the field and on the trailer. In the next few weeks as it melts ill venture out on a Saturday morning and see what I can find out.

As for people knowing more about airstreams, not so much in this area. I've been sharing my
Obsession with friends family and my partner and none of them understand why I would want some "trashy old camper." I'm hoping the owners of hat trailer don't know what they have.