Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtTim View Post
As for people knowing more about airstreams, not so much in this area. I've been sharing my
Obsession with friends family and my partner and none of them understand why I would want some "trashy old camper." I'm hoping the owners of hat trailer don't know what they have.
Heh, I think you're lucky. In my part of the world, vintage travel trailers are being scooped up and converted into food trailers that are seen all over town. So everyone seems to know about them-- which is cool-- but the flipside is that everyone thinks their rotted out hunt camp is worth $15,000!

I had to buy a trailer from a family in Georgia and drive to Mobile, Alabama to pick it up in order to get a reasonable price.

Anyway, happy hunting and good luck! I you get a chance, take some pictures and post them up here. We can probbly tell you the make, model, and factory of origin within a few minutes.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
1976 25' Caravanner
trenton , Missouri
Here's another idea which I used when I purchased my 74 Ambassador. I was driving along about 100 miles from home when I saw an AS in a driveway. It had no for sale sign in it. I stopped and knocked on the door and no one was home. I left a note in this fellow's mail box with my name, address and phone number and the time of day which I had stopped at his house. The next day he called me saying the trailer was indeed for sale. One day later I bought my first AS!
bimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Yes you should always leave a note or a card if no one is home. HOWEVER, don't leave it in a mailbox unless you put a postage stamp on it, and then manually cancel it by drawing through it in ink. Believe it or not, it's a Federal offense to put anything in a mailBOX that isn't proper U.S. Mail. On a weird technicality, you can put it THROUGH a mail slot and onto the floor of the entryway. (It's the government, don't ask me to explain ANY of the rules!)

A perhaps better ploy is to carry a fairly large format post-it pad and put your information on the door of the house.

Definitely be low key - and if you do meet someone who's not ready to sell, just ask them to keep your information IN the trailer in case anything changes. (It can change in 2 weeks once they have a "no sweat" buyer.)

Happy hunting. Paula
Old 02-27-2013, 04:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Ive always been one to go to the door and ask... for me its kinda fun! I like talking to people...anyone actually.. AND always leave your name and number even if they say 'no' now... they still may call you next week!
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Adrian , Michigan
Trailer in field

Quote:
What's the protocol for spotting trailers parked in fields? I saw an old airstream in a field about 3 miles from my home. It clearly has been there a while. I was tempted to stop and knock on the door of the house nearby.

I also saw a gorgeous old silver streak in someone's driveway. Obviously a trailer they use but nice eye candy.
Don't hesitate to stop and ask. Even if not "for sale" airstream owners love to talk about them.
REMEMBER: THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS "NO", UNTIL YOU ASK THE QUESTION.
Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
well? did you knock!? did ya buy?
Me too! The suspense is killer!
1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1963 16' Bambi
1947 22' Liner
Hillpoint , Wisconsin
I just picked up a 1973 Argosy 24 ft that was sitting on a proprety with a major road going right by it. The land was for sale and no one lived there so I contacted the realtor that told me it was not for sale but pased my info on anyway. I week or so later I get a call form the owners son telling me they thought it was time to let it go and now it sitting at my house. Just never know untill you ask.
Sprouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have not knocked. I don't think it's in the cards for me to own an airstream right now. I do have a lead on a nice little '64 Shasta that is in good shape and within my price range. I'm giving up on shiny aluminum for now, but I'm still looking for Vintage. But I'm not leaving entirely. I still enjoy lurking around the forums and drooling over the classifieds.
VtTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Back in the day when my wife was my girlfriend and we hadn't yet found our Airstream, we used to often drive by a house with an old Midas class A motorhome parked in the front yard with a For Sale sign on it.

After a while the sign was gone yet the motorhome was still there. At that point we were ready to buy an RV of some kind so we figured we'd have nothing to lose by knocking on the owner's door.

They were nice enough and let us look through the motorhome, which they had given up on selling. We did not make an offer. It was being used for storage so was full of junk, the motor had not been started in years, and the plumbing was winterized. Considering all that they still wanted over 10k for it. Had it been ready to inspect and test drive, who knows what would have happened.

My point being, go ahead and knock on the door.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Payne , Alabama
I'm a Realtor & when I first started in my current office almost 5 years ago my broker had 1.5 acres with an Airstream on it listed for $25,000. I can't remember what year it was, but I remember it was ALL original & in fantastic condition! When I began my own search a few weeks ago I had my broker call him to ask if it was still for sale. He had sold it...I'm still kicking myself!
hollybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Payne , Alabama
Turns out, he has another Airstream for sale! I'm gonna go look at it this afternoon. I think it will help in figuring out what I want/don't want when it comes time to actually purchase my own!
hollybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I was killing some time today and looking at stock photos of Airstreams and I found a picture of the trailer I see rotting in the field not far from my house. She's probably no good for anything but parts. From what I gather, she's been in that field for 20+ years. Here's a link to the photo
Vintage Airstream Travel Trailer Stock Image - Image: 31963641
VtTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
I have not knocked. I don't think it's in the cards for me to own an airstream right now. I do have a lead on a nice little '64 Shasta that is in good shape and within my price range. I'm giving up on shiny aluminum for now, but I'm still looking for Vintage. But I'm not leaving entirely. I still enjoy lurking around the forums and drooling over the classifieds.
I would not be too quick to give up, after all how do you know the price is out of your range if you have not ask, it could be free. I don't know about your area but around here with so many out of work most of the old cars, trucks, campers, and scrap of any kind is being hauled off to the scrap yards in droves. So I would take the chance and knock on the door you may just find that rare find and have a diamond in the rough. I recently found an AS and 2 Avions sitting in fields near me and as soon as I can I am going to go ask about them. Also seen a couple of cars that I may try to get ahold of too. As far as the mail box, leave a note in an envelope no stamp required, that law only applies to US Post Office boxes not private boxes.

Sarge
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote