Old 01-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I recently saw an emergency kit list somewhere else, that included all the things we collectively came up with.....except for heavy work gloves.

These would be indispensable after any natural disaster, at least one pair per person.

We have added these to our list.

Maggie

Old 01-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #72
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Yep. Without water, we can't live.

We got a 1/2 gallon collapsible bottle, within which we can purify water with the little tablets we recently obtained.

1 tablet per quart + 30 minutes = potable water. Voila!
Just so we're clear, those tablets don't purify water. They kill microbes. The dead microbes are still in the water afterwards, and so are any chemicals that were in the water, so you can't really say the water is pure unless you filter the water as well. There is no substitute for a granular activated carbon filter. Several companies make hand-pumped GAC filters, and my home hurricane kit (hunker-down kit) has one. Katadyn makes excellent hand-pumped filters. My Interstate has a GAC filter that screws onto the faucet I fill my tank from, so I don't need the hand pump for my bug-out kit, just for my hunker-down kit.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm. Need to add one of those filters, too.

Maggie
Old 01-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Just so we're clear, those tablets don't purify water. They kill microbes. The dead microbes are still in the water afterwards, and so are any chemicals that were in the water, so you can't really say the water is pure unless you filter the water as well. There is no substitute for a granular activated carbon filter. Several companies make hand-pumped GAC filters, and my home hurricane kit (hunker-down kit) has one. Katadyn makes excellent hand-pumped filters. My Interstate has a GAC filter that screws onto the faucet I fill my tank from, so I don't need the hand pump for my bug-out kit, just for my hunker-down kit.
I have both the Katadyne hand filter as well as the MSR. I like the MSR MUCH better. Katadyne filters are expensive and require frequent replacement. The MSR is ceramic clay and easily cleanable. It does not have a charcoal stage, but you could always add one as a pre-filter. I use mine in wilderness situations, where chemical contamination is usually not an issue. I do use a Katadyne BASECAMP for large quantities of camp water...but I'll run through $90 in filters for a 6 day trip for 6 - 8 people...and being a gravity feed....it clog up after 40 - 60 liters.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote