Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
I would have to disagree that a vehicle that won't move is useless. a handicap maybe.
It still offers shelter and if it runs a source of heat and a radio to get information on what is going on.
It has been a long time since I lived in snow country, but a snowed-in vehicle IS useless, and dangerous, compared to staying in an equally snowed-in building. At least the building won't choke you with carbon monoxide.

Quote:
I would also be sure to have some form of food because most sources operate on a just in time stocking basis. I would hate to ride the horse to the store only to find out all that was left was canned brussel sprouts.
I agree there; as I said in my earlier post, my hunker-down kit includes food that doesn't require cooking or refrigeration. Trail mix and canned goods are your friends. My bug-out kit includes less food, because presumably I'll be driving out of the affected area, to someplace where food is more readily available. But I'd still need a couple day's worth.

Another essential for a hunker-down kit is entertainment. Books, board games, something to keep you amused (without using electricty) while you're sitting around waiting for conditions to improve.

And if you're one of those people who would lie awake worrying when you should be sleeping, make sure to include sleep aids. Not getting enough sleep during a natural disaster is a good way to bring on a case of the stupids.

Not really mentioned much up to this point, but a bug-out kit should include at least the basics necessary to stay on the road. I recall during my evacuation before Hurricane Katrina, lots of cars stranded by the side of the road, overheated or out of fuel, or with flat tires. Antifreeze, motor oil, jumper cables, a gas can if you have a place to store it, should definitely be part of the bug-out kit.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Having experienced a F3 tornado in addition to multiple hurricanes I would add:

-Hard copies of Passwords and hard copies of recent financial documents.
-Make copies of important documents, ie passport, drivers license, and email them to yourself
-Make a list of valuable items that may not be in your bug out kit but that you might want to take with you in a hurry.
-Inflatable mattress because you never know where your next nights sleep may come.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #17
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I always travel with my old glaases, if mine were to break or get lost, i would be in serious trouble of not being able to see well enough to drive. At least the old perscription is better than none at all.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So many things just one of us would not think of.

I always travel with the glasses and my last pair of contact lenses (gas-permeable).

My biggest fear is an emergency that finds me without corrective lenses.......then stumbling around, legally blind, falling into holes, walking off precipices, etc., etc.

Maggie
Old 10-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
So many things just one of us would not think of.

I always travel with the glasses and my last pair of contact lenses (gas-permeable).

My biggest fear is an emergency that finds me without corrective lenses.......then stumbling around, legally blind, falling into holes, walking off precipices, etc., etc.
Which is why you should carry a copy of your glasses prescription. That way you can get new glasses made if necessary— anywhere you happen to be— without having to get a new eye exam first.

I always have three pairs of prescription glasses at any one time, all with the same frame style. One pair polarized sunglasses, one Transitions, one clear. Plus a copy of my latest prescription.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
wow. These are some great ideas. Of course, you can't kill a zombie with an EYEGLASS PRESCRIPTION!!!!

just kidding.

I'm restoring my trailer, and hope to keep it stocked well enough to where if there was a storm, fire, etc. I could just drive out. It was odd to watch the destruction and misery of folks affected by Hurrican Sandy, and if they just drove an hour away, everything was normal.

I feel like I have enough friends and family, that I'd only be an hour away in several directions to find a driveway that would welcome me.

I would say to keep the trailer stocked with whatever you need for 3 days. Then, you can throw either extra clothes, food, etc if you need to leave. Maybe a case of tasty meal bars or protein shakes. Average over the counter meds. Maybe some collapsable water bags.

I liked the spare chargers idea and entertainment. I don't want to think about the pet food. Our dog gets carsick after only 2 miles. She may just have to survive the "event" on her own.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #21

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
I don't want to think about the pet food. Our dog gets carsick after only 2 miles. She may just have to survive the "event" on her own.
Tell me you are joking. After seeing the number of abandoned pets after Hurricane Katrina that were just as difficult and costly to rescue as any human, I don't want to think of ANYONE leaving their pet behind if they evacuate, with no way of knowing when they'll come back.

If the dog gets carsick, tranq it and put it on a sheet of plastic that can be hosed off at every rest stop, but take it with you, carsick or not. It will get over carsickness a lot faster than it will get over being left behind.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 10-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I'm sorry I guess that did sound a bit irresponsible. Even if I was that heartless there is no way my wife would let me. I certainly would not want someone to go out into harm's way because I was careless or did not think ahead. However what would you suggest for my 14 chickens?
Old 10-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
I'm sorry I guess that did sound a bit irresponsible. Even if I was that heartless there is no way my wife would let me. I certainly would not want someone to go out into harm's way because I was careless or did not think ahead. However what would you suggest for my 14 chickens?

But seriously now, lots of good suggestions here.

I'm definitely getting a copy of my eyeglasses prescription next time I see my ophthalmologist. I think I'll keep it in my suitcase on even ordinary trips.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
~~
I don't want to think about the pet food. Our dog gets carsick after only 2 miles. She may just have to survive the "event" on her own.
Perhaps dogs can take dramamine in an appropriate dose, or some other readily-available product for motion sickness? Ask your vet. One of mine gets valium for thunderstorms, for example, prescribed by the vet.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
It did sound a bit heartless. I was hoping you were kidding. I decided not to call you on it, but hoped someone else would.

Can't imagine leaving Lily behind....we would have to stay behind, too.

As for your chickens......they might be a bit harder to evacuate, but could be caged up, I would think. Could then provide food, if needed.

Maggie
Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
I would also recommend a complete household inventory (including videos) for insurance purposes.

There is a chance that if you bug out, there will be those in your community that will help themselves to what you leave behind in your residence.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #27
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Fresh batteries for whatever takes them. One of those "works with everything" rechargeable batteries for use with phone, laptop, or other electronic device you deem necessary.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have looked at those small, solar chargers.......assuming there were towers standing to allow wireless communication.

It is more common than not that power is out for weeks after hurricanes, major tornadoes, ice storms, etc.

I am less concerned about wireless, really, other than to check on my family and they to check on us.

Maggie