Old 05-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
I once knew a guy who said if he saw a Airstream broke down alongside the road he would just drive right on by...He said what a bunch of snobs! Glad others don't feel the sameway!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #86
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Charlottesville , Virginia
My wife and I live in a tiny 1000 sq. ft. bungalow in Charlottesville, Va. Our family philosophy has always been to be prudent and careful about purchases, but to buy the best we can afford. In doing so we have found that we learn about and take better care of what we buy, experience greater enjoyment in using what we buy, and find that those products generally last significantly longer than their less expensive counterparts. Having said that, I'm delighted to say that ten days ago we purchased a 2008 Safari 19 ft. Bambi. Off to our first rally in June !!!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
No matter where we have traveled with our AS have we ever experienced any negative comments from anyone. Most RV'er admire the AS as a quality product. Today I visited with another RV'er who sold his AS and purchased SOB. He regretts selling the AS because it was the best towing unit he had ever owned. He had owned the AS for 10 years and sold it because his current wife did not like it.

RV'er who have looked inside our AS are impressed with the warmness of the interior. We have a plane jane Safari.

We are proud to own our AS.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #88

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We're proud to own Lucy, and have never had any negative comments from other campers. If someone admires Lucy, we always invite them to have a look inside. We have never gotten the feeling that other campers thought that we were snobs. On a couple of occasions, campers have popped out of million dollar mohos and said, "wow, an Airstream; those are so cool". I think that says it all.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:04 AM   #89
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper
My wife and I live in a tiny 1000 sq. ft. bungalow in Charlottesville, Va. Our family philosophy has always been to be prudent and careful about purchases, but to buy the best we can afford. In doing so we have found that we learn about and take better care of what we buy, experience greater enjoyment in using what we buy, and find that those products generally last significantly longer than their less expensive counterparts. Having said that, I'm delighted to say that ten days ago we purchased a 2008 Safari 19 ft. Bambi. Off to our first rally in June !!!!!!!!
Is that rally in Staunton? Hope to meet you there.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:18 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
In camp at the INDY 500 I had the normal number of inquiries and tour requests from Airstream and non-Airstream owners alike. It was fun to tour the new rear entry 25 Safari in our camp. One young lady passed by the trailer with the comment, "I just love the OLD look of your brand of trailer" or something to that effect. What a hoot. Our brand of trailer certainly is a conversation starter if nothing else.
HAPPY TRAILS
Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 AM   #91

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe
He regretts selling the AS because it was the best towing unit he had ever owned. He had owned the AS for 10 years and sold it because his current wife did not like it.
I probably have owned one other hard sided trailer that I considered better towing than my Airstream, and that was a Hi-Lo. Nothing can beat a trailer that slips down into the same profile as my van.

But considering standup full height trailers, if you've never pulled a big square SOB, you really can't appreciate the difference in that experience and pulling an Airstream. The person above understands.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
On our recent Texas Gulf Coast getaway, we finally had our first "lone Airstream" experience - where we stood out enough to draw A/S conversation. Well, technically there was a circa 1975 30-footer in long duration parked service, and one clone: an Avion 28. Folks were curious about the towing weight, and of course wondered "if they still made those."

One laid back Bud Light drinkin' guy just said "Man, you have a nice camper." We graciously acknowledged his complement, and raised a brew toast of course.

Though the shiny skin was hard to miss in a sea of fiberglass, the size was a surprising issue. Were it not for a 13-foot Casita, we would have been the smallest TT in the park. Well, Texans like fifth-wheels too...
Old 09-24-2008, 12:05 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
OK, an older thread, but thought this would be interesting to tell. We were recently camped on the Olympic Peninsula (Sequim and then Fort Worden/Port Townsend, WA) for ten days. The weather was perfect and warm for September. This meant that there were a lot of folks out camping on the weekend, particularly at Fort Worden.

On Saturday morning my wife and I were sitting under the awning quite early having had a small breakfast and were drinking our coffees/tea when at 8 we had a fellow camper come over and ask to see the trailer. Donna graciously got up from her much needed (trust me on this one ) coffee (being addicted to it big time) and that was pretty much it for the next two hours. It seemed like one tour ended and the next started.

I was not left out of the picture. Many folks were as interested in the wagon and it took up quite a bit of time trying to answer all the questions. What was fun about this was the very real interest in A: vintage Airstreams and Airstreaming in general, B: vintage tow vehicles and it was surprising the knowledge folks already had of the rare wagon, and C: the number of people who know where there is a vintage Airstream and with not much encouragement on our part are considering pursuing one. One more thing, it was also surprising how many people who are looking at grenading their newer TV's and ridding themselves of car payments on a unit they use primarily to tow their RV, and instead are looking at late sixties to early seventies vehicles (cars and trucks) with the older Suburbans and Blazers being the ones most talked about. One fellow mentioned he could sell his current 07 truck and buy a neighbors '73 Suburban with 70,000 miles for six months worth of his current truck payments. I think given the current economic situation more people are going to be considering this avenue to reduce their costs and still be able to get out and camp with the kids.

We made it very clear that restoring a vintage Airstream that needs work is not for the faint of heart or for those looking to get in cheap. I think we went out of our way to tell them to double their expectations of cost to do the restoration and even then it might not be enough so they are far better off to buy the best one they can find to start with. We wrote out Airforums.com on pieces of paper so many times that I'm considering making small business cards with the address on it so we can just hand them out.

We had fun, but it was tiring, and in many ways an interruption of our desire (need?) to relax. We've always had people stop for tours and been questioned on the trailer and car but never had the volume of interest we had this time out, and it seemed to feed on itself. One person, then a couple of couples, and then others see this and come over too. It didn't stop there. The ferry line up to go from Port Townsend to Fort Casey (Keystone) was another opportunity for folks to come over and ask a lot of questions although in this case one person was in pursuit of a vintage Airstream and had a lot of questions. Glad to help and hope they are successful as they seemed committed and understood the pros and cons.

We talked about this a bit as we did find it interrupting, fun though, and we did not want to alienate anyone. But it just didn't stop. Pulled into a restaurant and I was still answering questions while Donna was inside ordering our meals (sigh). Had one fellow follow me in and was talking until our meals came. We actually paid our bill through the waitress rather than go up to the cashier so we could slip out quickly, get in the car, and drive off. We felt awkward but needed to get going.

More and more we are finding folks are really interested in vintage trailers and cars. They see more of this on the highways and in CG's and are wondering if this is something they could do. I'm amazed at how many folks have a vintage vehicle sitting at home that they never considered using for anything but car shows and cruise nights.

Anyway, I thought I'd share with your our little episode. As many have mentioned, people really are interested. They are really surprised to learn that they are "still being made", and that a vintage unit can be rebuilt and have all the amenities of a new one. And I'd have to say that in at least one case I know a guy who is now being strongly coached by his wife to get off his butt and get an Airstream they bought ten years ago finished and done to include the options they have in their current SOB. I guess that made this all worth while.

Barry
Old 09-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

Baghdad , Iraq
Send a message via MSN to Airstream 1975!
They could just be really really jealous.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #95
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
So Barry, you had to go back home in order to get the relaxation you were hoping for from your camping trip?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Wow, thanks for relating that story Barry.

I've only had my rig out camping once so far and wasn't approached, but on the highways I've had the drivers and passengers of numerous passing vehicles honk, flash lights, and wave at me. On a couple of occasions they've been so adamant that I thought something terrible must have happened and that half of my belly pan must be dragging under the trailer or something. But no, just other Airstreamers or Airstream fans who were being friendly and supportive.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
So Barry, you had to go back home in order to get the relaxation you were hoping for from your camping trip?
It seemed that way Mel but we had other times when we were actually the only ones in the forested area of Fort Worden other than the camp host who was clearly uninterested. I considered that a good thing.

Marcus, it is really interesting how one time you will have minimal interest and at other times it is almost overload. I find that it is boomers who are really interested in the trailer and as often the ladies versus the men, and all ages in the car. It is the younger folks though, those in the forties and under, who are more serious about restoring an Airstream though. I can't relate the number of times we heard "my grandparents had one" or their neighbors, or quite often something along the lines "we want to do something to be different and to show our pride at being Americans" which I thought was interesting. You don't see Winnebago's in Asia that I'm aware of, but one fellow made a statement I've felt myself as well. "We've had the diversity of our cars taken away by the non-American manufacturers and you don't even know what the model names mean anymore, and now they are making the trucks look generic so they'll all look the same soon enough, so what is left?" There are a few lookalikes to Airstreams but they are neat and unique as well and also deserve recognition.

Thumbs up on the highway are neat and you are right about the enthusiasm easily being mistaken for a problem. However, I have also learned to take a good look in the mirrors when I get a high level of attention just in case they are in fact letting me know that there is a problem back there.

I think people envy the impression and not so much what it is we or the rest of you have. It speaks to simplicity (although they don't know it is a ton more work) and freedom. And it is to us our art. Some people paint, some have incredible lawns and gardens, others write books, and we built a mobile vintage display. We had one Homeland Security person tell us we were obviously living the dream and for us he was right. I'm not so sure many would want to put up with all the maintenance and things that go along with vintage everything (including in my case my aged decrepit body).

Take care,
Barry
Old 09-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #98
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Newberry Springs , California
(not) Embarrassed to own Airstream

We had a problem with our tow vehicle a few months ago and pulled into an auto dealership in Oxnard, CA to have it checked out. During our wait for repairs, we parked the Airstream in the lot and “boondocked” for about 5 hours, during which we gave a half dozen tours to employees and customers alike.

The trailer probably generated more interest that day than the dealer’s inventory!