Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #61
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
duck low. 45000 miles towing with my 06 F-250. No problems.
put an SOB on it and let me see you on the road... it will have problems then. I had a dream a week or two ago that it took five states to pass an SOB. One of the states was Texas. I really am ate up.....

An ate up, snobby hippie, what is the world coming too....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #62
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
On the way home from KC, where I picked up my '00 Ltd.
Was cruzing along at the Illinois mandated double nickle when a 40 something cougar in a 380SEL convertible passes by taking a long look at my new to me AS. As she pulled past the TV she looked over and gave me a big smile a wink and a thumbs up before zippin' on down the road. I think I was in a good mood for a week after that. Some people appreciate it, I thought the car she was driving was pretty cool too
Most of the time when people pass on the road the passenger is giving the trailer a long look but when they pass the TV (act like) there ignoring.

Quote:
An ate up, snobby hippie, what is the world coming too....
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Like Pat, I try to say something complementary (usually about how much room there is) to others about their SOB's and we just say it's a 34' trailer when asked, it's funny how people act, we've probably spent less on our 'gently experienced' AS than most 5er's and certainly a fifth of what some one that has a big moho has, but you still get the comments.
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Embarrassed:not

EMBARRASSED:Not me.I am a proud squarestream owner.

SNOB: Good? I am a proud squarestream owner.

GREY POUPON: Always.I am a proud squarestream owner.

Sorry the devil made me a snob that likes Grey Poupon and Squarestream trailers.

But your always welcome to look inside ours and have a glass of wine or a BEER.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
While we aren't official Airsteam owners, I am quite proud to be an Argosy owner. Because we didn't pay anything for it, the re-hab is going to more than make up for that!!

After the countless hours and the bejillions of dollars this is going to take, I see no reason why we shouldn't stand firm on our hindlegs and proffess our love for this trailor and the insuing lifestyle it represents.

If asked I will be only too glad to invite you in for a walk thru as well as a cold one from our restored 30+ old two-way fridge. And let me show you our hand made bolsters for the gaucho and the twins...not to mention the curtains....oh and please check out the cork floor...spongy and warm.

Not a snob, but a proud owner and a labor of love for us and all who wish to enjoy for as long as we may.
strmstr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #65
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Dear Penthouse,
You're never going to believe this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebair
Was cruzing along at the Illinois mandated double nickle when a 40 something cougar in a 380SEL convertible...
...long story short, we both collapse on the bed with big grins on our faces, right there in my trailer behind the Flying J!

Sincerely,
Lucky SOB in an Airstream
Old 05-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62
What's wrong with dressing up? These Airstreamers are Styling!
thank you for that photo.nice.complete with gold caddy in background.i have a '63 safari and '66 sovereign .love 'em both.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
My dad said, "The only difficult thing about owning an Airstream, is getting the FIRST ONE."
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #68
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
Quote:
Dear Penthouse,
You're never going to believe this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebair
Was cruzing along at the Illinois mandated double nickle when a 40 something cougar in a 380SEL convertible...

...long story short, we both collapse on the bed with big grins on our faces, right there in my trailer behind the Flying J!

Sincerely,
Lucky SOB in an Airstream
Well, the story didn't turn out that way (you don't believe that stuff you read in Penthouse, do you?) she just went on down the road, but it made my day any way.
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

"The best is only just barely adequate." Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
It ain't just the Airstream! In the summer we buzz around in a '91 Saab turbo convertible that might just as well be a new Mercedes or Porsche for the looks of resentment we get. Aside from the "top down" fun, it gets 32 mpg if I behave. On the other hand, I could never convince onlookers that I'm driving it to save money! Like our Airstreams, the Saab will hold it's value indefinitely if taken care of.
That's not resentment. People just think you have to be some sort of looney for buying Saab, and they are trying to get away from you. j/k

As for the "Airstream millionaire" thing, it probably has to do with a new 25' CCD costing more than a 40' 5th wheel SOB. People with monster 5ers are looked upon as snobs even worse than Airstreamers. Since the price of admission for a new AS is even higher, you do the math.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
All brides are beautiful... All babies are beautiful.

Miss Manners says so and I believe her. All brides are beautiful, all babies are beautiful. When someone thinks my silver baby isn't, I simply know that they haven't had the benefit of reading Miss Manners. I, on the other had could not forgive myself if I were so boorish as to respond defensively or with hostility to their lack of sensibility.

I was painfully shy as a child, and had a miserable adolescence.
Then I grew up. Somewhere it hit me - Misery loves company... but company does NOT love misery. I always try to approach people with my best smile on and my attention focused on making THEM comfortable. It works most of the time.

I'm always glad to meet people at campgrounds - most RV'ers are wonderful people with great stories. If I do get a hint of "you must be rich because you own a new(ish) Airstream", I smile and tell them I fulltime because if you live in Virginia Beach, it's one way to avoid having 40 relatives "drop in" for their vacation every summer, it's so much easier to keep clean, and it costs me less than I used to pay to have my lawn mowed and fertilized and the flower beds done.

Given half a chance most people are nice, especially if you compliment them or their children.

In any situation there are a few people who just dont mesh with all of us. So? I hear Rick Nelson, "you can't please everyone... so you've got to please yourself."

I'm responsible for my own choices, I've made MANY that weren't great and I can't claim immunity from making another. I choose to REFUSE to be embarassed by someone's opinion about my trailer. My trailer? Okay...

There IS a difference between judgement and judgemental. As proof of my good judgement I'll simply worry about something important like global warming or the sex life of the tse-tse fly and let their opinion go.

Bye, Paula
Old 05-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist
That's not resentment. People just think you have to be some sort of looney for buying Saab, and they are trying to get away from you. j/k
Might be - but I know of one 900 series Saab that was driven over one million miles before being donated to a museum in Wisconsin! It also survived seven collisions with deer and never had any major engine work! Unfortunately, the exchange rate has made the cost of imported repair parts for older Saabs astronomical. In spite of that, the owners of pre-GM Saabs are almost as fanactical about their cars as antique Airstream owners are about their trailers.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger bear
That probably speaks more about the quality of Dodge over Fords as Airstreams over SOBs...

I know, I'm already ducking for cover!

;-)
Betcha' won't out pull this one with a half-ton Dodge.
AIR #8891
Old 05-15-2008, 05:41 PM   #74
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Now, now, let's not get this into a war over tow vehicles... We all know whatever one we have is best, unless it's not, then it isn't, but it would be, if only it was better.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Wow, when going through the purchase process I never even thought of this. Like most folks walking by them all the time in a campgrounds I always admired A/S's, but never found the owners elitist. Guess this thread is another bit of good cultural background for us new guys.

(Guess I shouldn't wear my new A/S hat, A/S polo shirt, A/S keyring, A/S underwear, and carry my A/S picket sign all at once, just in case we meet someone...)

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #76
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzo
(Guess I shouldn't wear my new A/S hat, A/S polo shirt, A/S keyring, A/S underwear, and carry my A/S picket sign all at once, just in case we meet someone...)
A/S underwear? TMI!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #77
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
A/S underwear? TMI!
Sorry. The rivets do take some getting used to

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzo
Sorry. The rivets do take some getting used to
That aluminum has got to be a little cold in the winter time.
AIR #8891
Old 05-16-2008, 04:59 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
I bet when they ride up, that vulkem stuff could be annoying.
strmstr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
I've found the vast majority of SOB owners, and people in general, to be more curious than snobbish. We've given countless tours of our Airstreams - in campgrounds, rest stops, parking lots, and truck stops. My wife and I saved up for nearly 6 years so when we found the right Airstream, we could just write the check and go camping. The only real snobbishness I've encountered to date was from the owner of a gigantic MoHo, while camping at a boat race. The best part is that later on his wife asked to look inside of our Bambi. She said she loved the looks of Airstreams, and had always wanted one.

One of my favorite tours was at a truck stop in Pennsylvania. A truck driver came over and asked to take a look. After the tour, I shut the door, and he said "Do that again!" So I did. He said "That's the difference. When I slam the door on my Shasta, the whole side shakes and rattles. Yours just goes... thump."
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote