Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2004, 08:19 AM   #21
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:33 AM   #22
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe
How are you supposed to sop up the runny yoke with bisquits, or mix it in your grits, if you do it that way?
Maurice,
For grits, you mix the yolks with some maple syrup
For biscuits, you could . . . . .

Oh what the heck, nothing can replace biscuits with lots of runny egg yolk.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 09:53 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Yep, bisquits are only one of many reasons we have to have to have a gas oven for boondocking!
Old 05-01-2004, 04:24 PM   #24
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Geez... Tin Hut... I dunno what the big deal is...

Whenver we get to our campsite, we just go foraging and steal our chickens locally like everyone else does! Why in the world would you EVER want to try to bring your own so's someone else can steal 'em when your out shopliftin' your beer? There's always some farmhouse nearby what's gots a few hens in the yard, and they never miss one or two of 'em. Us'ns eats the eggs in the mornings, and then the last night 'fore we leave, we have us a fine fried chicken dinner!

Onest in a while we even finds ourselves a calf or a pig us'ns can helps ourselves to! Yeeeeeeha!

Yessssireeee Bob... they's don' call us white trailer trash fo' nuthin'!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 04:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I love, love LOVE chickens. They're so beautiful and so versatile. This site just knocks me out (they're in Iowa, though it doesn't say that on the site anywhere):

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html

I'm not rural enough to have any chickens yet, but it better happen soon, since I've been accumulating all the accoutrements for farm life ... got the paint pony waiting Downstate to be broke (or "gentled," as some like to say) ... the beehives ... lots of handmade rocking chairs ... and Airstreams for living quarters...
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
very scary

www.subservientchicken.com

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:15 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Come by and pick up some of my free range eggs. I put out a lot of oyster shell grit for my hens, so the eggs have really hard shells (calcium). Besides everyone raves about how good they taste and how orange the yolk is. And it is of course- spring time glut! the mama hen hatched out only one live baby, hopped out and the other five little cold half-out babies died. Boo,( but we really don't need any more chickens.) However I will not give you any of my hens to cage! Are you checking for poisoned air -like the guys in Iraq? Chickens didn't like the heat (ie. died) so they changed to pigeons. Sliver suz My eggs are too big for the cardboard cartons , people collect for us, but tough enough shell to take the punishment. (maybe those little chicks died from exhaustion of pecking throught their shells?)
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:20 PM   #28
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Bouncing Eggs

For whole fresh egg storage while travelling...> [U]'cushioning[/U]' is the answer. How about this?
Leave them in the original carton...made that way for a reason...but---
set them on about an inch of flour in a flat pan on the frig shelf. That'll cushion them.
For scrambled eggs...make up your own 'egg-beaters'... (like a previous post stated)...

& on another note:
Yes, Chuck, it is quite obvious which one is the woman! She is the one quietly sitting there waiting patiently for her significant other to stop talking so she can get a word in edgewise.

Oh, yeah, and she's trying to look interested too!

I so totally agree...men talk constantly---about silly things... Actually men are very good at saying we do the very things THEY do...heh heh!
At least we can talk on a myriad of subjects!!!
Old 05-05-2004, 04:39 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
I've never had eggs break that were left in the carton, and this idea may take up too much space, but how about putting eggs between 2 layers of egg crate foam cut to size, in a plastic storage box that will hold the amount of eggs you need to carry. Or layer in storage box: 1 piece any foam cut to size, one egg carton, lid removed, eggs into carton, 1 piece foam cut to size, lid on box.
Egg sandwich!

MMmmmm....egg sandwich.....
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 01:46 AM   #30
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Eggs

We HAVE to stop meeting like this...
Hi...
Mmmmmmmmm egg sandwich...now there's an idea...before you head out...make up some egg-salad for sandwiches, and store that in a plastic tub.
But, for the fresh egg storage>what about the convoluted foam bed-pad, known as "egg crate pad"? Cut a shelf-sized square and store your eggs on it.

But, hey! less space would be to just use one of those white foam type egg packs (for a dozen)...and spoon a tablespoon of dry flour in each 'cup', resting the large end (tush) of the egg on the flour IN the cup...
VIOLA...."MORE CUSH FOR THE TUSH"

Like someone said before...you must have a serious shock problem if you have this problem with your eggs in transit. (What about the stylist on your changing table (not babies)..?)

.............Cat
Old 05-08-2004, 02:01 AM   #31
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Raising Chicks

Hey SummerKid...
is that the name...?

I've raised chickens...many times in my life...Layers, fyers, and just pets (a Bantum)...EVERYONE WHO LOVES CHICKENS SHOULD OWN A BANTUM...totally loyal, attentive, and loving companion. I'm serious. "Mr. Milktoast" was ours. He swollowed some string,..and kept swollowing until his "gullet" was CLOGGED with the stuff. My dad got his pocketknife out, put Mr. Milktoast on his lap, and did a trachiotomy and OUT came the string; my dad sewed the incision up with buttonhole thread, and Mr. M. followed my dad around after that...like he was IN LOVE with my dad (I guess he was).
But, my last joy of raising 'layers', stopped being a joy, when they stopped laying (for some unknown reason)...so I gave them to my boss b/c being a newly divorced single mom, I sure couldn't afford to feed them if they didn't lay. My boss reported a few days later they were yielding up toward a dozen eggs a DAY. It was nearly 12 years before I learned my then 10-year-old son was using my EGGS as ammo thrown at passing cars (he confessed). (Surprising that no passing motorists ever turned him in to the Sheriff.)

Good luck with your baby chicks...may they grow large and happy and give you much food and joy. I spent many hours burning feathers off the 'bare' skin (after plucking the feathers as much as possible). Yes, I clean them (out) too; ---when you're raised on a farm, you don't know the term "eeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuu".
Old 05-08-2004, 08:17 AM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
In the morning I like some eggs with my Spam but I guess my trailer bounces alot because when I get to my camp spot I usually have busted eggs all over the fridge. I decided for my next trip to bring along a couple of my chickens but can't figure out the best way to haul them. I wanted to attach a cage on the back of the trailer but I'm afraid that their feathers may blow off during the trip and they wouldn't lay eggs. Plus if you've ever seen a bald chicken it's scary. I'd carry them in my truck but there's already enough cackling going on from the wife. Does anyone have experience bringing livestock along, other than the plain dog or cat? Thank you.
Why not hard boil the eggs before leaving on a trip? Eliminate the chickens.
Or, you can contact Dial-An-Egg, they utilize the latest in laser-targeting technology. Every night you attach a collector (net) on the side of your trailer. The Dial-An-Egg people, using retired Air Force bomber pilots and laser guided bomb components, fly over your location and drop between 3 and 6 eggs in your collector, which is equipped with the latest in transponders, for error-free delivery. You then remove them, and cook them in the morning, eliminating the need for transporting your own eggs, and the attendant chicken mess. Larger families would need to use the Dial-An-Egg Bulk Receiver (cast net) for larger quantities of eggs.

Terry
Old 05-08-2004, 09:41 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Still you need to get eggs that have harder shells!- ie more calcium to the hen! Once eggs are broken and refrigerated they only last 24 hours. I've been known to collect a couple of eggs ,stick them in my pocket, forget about them. Then some dog jumping up. or balancing something on my hip and that EEUUUEEEWW feeling as liquid eggs oozes down my leg. Amazingly though it's usually only one- the one that took the brunt of the force that will break, the rest get smeared in orange yolk..EEEUUEEEWWW! I can see I'll have to bring eggs along to the airstream meetings to make believers out of you all!! They do taste really great! ,unsmeared. silver suz
Old 05-09-2004, 01:55 AM   #34
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Egg Shells

Susi.........what's the 'shelf life' for "Egg-Beaters" before & after opening the carton?

Another question if you don't mind... Is there some reason some egg shells ar hard and other's aren't? Is there a way of telling?

What is the shelf life on eggs left in the shell?
I know they need to be kept at 45 degress...but what's the maximum length of storage time?

No one said anything else about Bantum chicks...Am I the only one who's had one for a pet?
Old 05-09-2004, 07:18 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
im getting eggy reading this post...

cat,
here are a few facts i learned in chefs school:
a large egg weighs approx. 50 grams...20 grams of yolk and 30 grams of white.
properly stored and refrigerated, eggs rarely spoil and will keep for 4 to 5 weeks past the package date.
an eggs freshness is indicated by a plump round yolk and thick white, an old egg has a flat yolk and a runny white.
older eggs that are hard boiled, are easier to peel.
extra large eggs look nicer on a the plate because we always eat first with our eyes.
all standardized recipes use large eggs, and a lot people "F" up, by not using the right size eggs.
now, can we end this post? you people are driving me eggy!
norby
p.s. adding a raw egg to fidos food is good for its coat.

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 07:29 AM   #36
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
[QUOTE=norbert]now, can we end this post? you people are driving me eggy!
norby
Eggsactly!
Terry
Old 05-09-2004, 07:34 AM   #37
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Cat,
In the little town where I grew up, all the town kids had a Bantam hen for a pet. We were so poor, we all shared the same hen. One kid would keep her for awhile, then sell it to the next kid for a quarter, and so on down the line.
I was the genius who brought in a rooster from one of my school buddies, who lived on a farm. We raised a whole clutch of "bannies" in the abandoned doghouse where we had once held a snapping turtle captive. I really miss those days, and wish more kids had those sort of experiences.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:25 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Norby and Terry skip this message as I wouldn't want you to blow your shells.
The trouble with store bought eggs is you don't know how old the egg is- therefor how long it can be kept. The date for keeping "eggbeaters" product is on their package- they probably have lots of preservatives to keep them that way. Eggs broken into a container (then covered) with a skim of water on top will keep for 24 hours safely in the fridge. Fresh farm eggs will keep up to a month on a cool counter in your kitchen safely. (Nature's way of letting the hen gather enough eggs before setting them). We keep them out for a week or so in an old wire egg gathering basket.
Our all time favorite hen was a fierce mama banty named "Lucretia" after John's mom. We actually named her in all sincerity ,as she was a great brooder, a fierce protector, and an all around great mother, regardless of the eggs we stuck under her, reg chicken, guinea, duck, but the goose eggs were too big for her to manage. So, on Mother's Day here's a great cheer for the "Lucretias of the world!!! Right now we have mostly Auracana mix chickens. They are closer to the wild genetically, more capable of taking care of themselves free-ranging and have great colored eggs! with our slightly mixed gene pool, we have green, sky blue, light and dark brown and occasionaly a beautiful light lavender. (I love genetics!)
The chicken producers feed exactly the minimum amount of food needed to produce the eggs, the minimum amount of calcium so the egss can roll down the chute and onto a conveyor. They are out to make a profit. They skin feed down to the minimum needed.
I am not. I'm out to make happy hens and healthy eggs. It's not some frou-frou idea. Throughout the ages, happier, less stressed, naturally well fed females produce better offspring- Whether you are talking about thoroughbred brood mares or koi. My hens always have lots of oyster grit to eat so the calcium in their shells are much harder. Lots of bugs -especially tasty little grasshoppers- YES!!- plus no antibiotics, organic as much as possible feed and a mom hen who shows them where the good "stuffs" is to be found. I keep my hens until they die a natural death . If they lay an egg only every other day ,that's okay with me. and when they do they are HUGE. There have been several tests indicating the chloresteral level of range free eggs are !/3 what store bought eggs are. And my yolks are dark orange.- healthy. the babies are given an extra kick of alfalfa sprouts from day two to boost their health. (baby chicks confronting those insidious double green eyed long tailed things for the first time is truly comical. It takes mama and I some time to convince them they are not monsters and are good to eat!!- well I have to get my laughs somewhere) Of course, the taste is no comparison.
Oh, my husband was pulling yesterday's gathered eggs out of his pocket, when one fell to the hard tiled floor. It cracked some, but the membrane held and he had it for breakfast this morning. Glass shatters on this floor to smithereens.! Hard egg shells indicate healthy, nutricious eggs. Too bad I can't send everyone some. That would settle the question immediately! silver suz And to those who think otherwise-"let them eat store eggs" )
Old 05-09-2004, 09:54 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
the way i see it....

hens that stop laying belong in the soup pot....you can put your egg shells in the compost pile or you can make a smoothie out of them and stave off your osteoporosis.....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 10:24 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

SIGH... : ( Norby.. I am beyond killing and picking my chickens- been there, done that. It's not that I don't love the taste of my own cooked chickens, Before we grew meat chickens, ducks, turkeys, rabbits, etc. Now I have no energy to deal with it. I can't even stand the smell of baking chicken and turkey and broiling meat. Cooking is a challange- especially with the discrimminating taste of a 14 yr old. He's learning to do more cooking if he wants it done his way. (very spiced). If you heard what I can eat and how prepared, and what I can't eat- you would tear your hair out. Everyone here has a true milk (not just lactose intolerant) allergy- no cheese, yogurt, ice cream, etc etc. I used to make the greatest cheese cakes and quishes- after all "Chez Panisse" was right down the street. Our meals would make your cook's heart shrivel, This year I dont even have the energy to grow my own mesclun or cukes/zukes....that's low. suz
Well, I'm glad I have eggs and my fruit trees. P.S. all stuff except meat goes in compost pile. we recycle too. And I (my sons) collect the neighbor's leaves to compost. (they get eggs), suz