Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Eco-Friendly AS on Display in Boulder, CO!

Greetings All!

We will have our newly finished Eco-Friendly 1962 Flying Cloud on display in Boulder, CO, tomorrow Sunday, August 8th. We have done a complete reconstruction (see attached photos) which includes a complete solar power system, composting toilet, cork flooring, bamboo cabinets, and many other eco-friendly features. You can read and see more about this on our blog at: The Flying Cloud Eco-DiscoveryTour . In the meantime, if you are in the Boulder area, and would like to see what we have done, we will be at:

REI
1789 28th St
Boulder, CO

9am-2pm

Hope to see you there!

John & Kate
Attached Thumbnails

FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Eco friendly in construction. But Im sure you towed it there with a vehicle that wasnt so friendly...
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Are you coming out to the Midwest on your trip? Hwy 70 goes right through St. Louis!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled4 View Post
Eco friendly in construction. But Im sure you towed it there with a vehicle that wasnt so friendly...
You are correct, but we also sold our three bedroom house and only have one vehicle for both of us. Our electricity is generated by our solar system. So, in terms of our total carbon footprint, we are making significant reductions. There is virtually no such thing as zero impact, but we can do our part to reduce.

Best,

FLYNCLD
Old 08-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled4 View Post
That's a bit presumptive. As noted, "total carbon footprint" is the real bottom line. Furthermore, the tow vehicle may run on biodiesel or other fuel. Just owning an Airstream and loving to travel does not necessarily means a person is "not green enough." As a community, let's support people who are trying to make the Airstream a bit more earth-friendly. The perception of Airstreaming as a positive "green" lifestyle can only help everyone in the long run.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNCLD View Post
Greetings All! We will have our newly finished Eco-Friendly 1962 Flying Cloud on display in Boulder, CO, tomorrow Sunday, August 8th. ... John & Kate
Hi John & Kate:

Darn! I was out of town this past Sunday, up in Laramie at a rally. I would have loved to have seen your Flying Cloud, but even with a much longer advanced notice there was simply no way I could have been in Boulder last weekend. Drat!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Hi John & Kate:

Darn! I was out of town this past Sunday, up in Laramie at a rally. I would have loved to have seen your Flying Cloud, but even with a much longer advanced notice there was simply no way I could have been in Boulder last weekend. Drat!
Sorry we missed you as well! We had a great show and then saw a flock of AS coming back from Laramie!

Maybe next time-

J&K
Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1950 28' Whirlwind
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Can I contact you re: Eco Discovery?

Hey there...your unit is absolutely beautiful.....I am planning a refurbish using many green materials and would like to know:

- What eco materials did you use for the floors and walls?

- How well does the compost toilet work? I was advised to use a Thetford portable for cost savings and possibly less odor

- Are there any affordable compost toilets that aren't so BIG (they take up so much space) ?

- Do you know of ANYONE close to Philadelphia or surrounding areas who could help me with my refurbish?

Thanks Lisa equityedu@aol.com - best way to contact me
Lisa D is offline   Reply With Quote