Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Driving defensively against offensive drivers

I've seen a few threads on cell phone use while driving. I thought the purpose of this thread could be twofold:

1) share your observations/cautionary tales

2) provide tips that can benefit all drivers and especially RV drivers

I'm starting this thread because during the 1500 mile trip I took last week, I can not tell you how many times drivers performed absolutely stupid, thoughtless, offensive (in every definition of that word), reckless and potentially fatal maneuvers on the road.

And I'm of multiple minds. I want to help educate these poor souls, but I wouldn't be phased if evolution took its course with them either. If I'm honest, pre-trailer, I drove terribly myself and could have caused the kinds of injury I fear today could come at any moment no matter how defensively I may be driving.

As an example, along much of my route to the mothership, the speed limit was 70 mph - which I did for some stretches (though preferred 60) - and still people passed me in a blur more often than not, WHILE TEXTING!!!! Not just holding the phone to their face for a call, but actually texting! We hear of texting "accidents" all the time which is maddening because it is 100% preventable if people would just stop imagining they alone are the center of the universe.

Enough pontificating. Here's a link to some simple tips to get started. What do you think?

http://m.wikihow.com/Drive-Defensively
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Another risky move are those who enter the highway, usually blowing through a YIELD sign, but even if not, ignoring the laws of physics and racing out to get in front of your rig presumably to save the 3 seconds of time they'd sacrifice to safely enter after you pass.

I like to drive in the slow lane both to drive a little slower when possible and to not tick off drivers in the middle or far left lane. Having the rear view camera is helpful here. I can tell whether or not it's safe for me to move to the left as I get near an on ramp and if not, I'm prepared to back off the gas and let the impatient driver in.

I want to say, "poor guy isn't going camping" and feel bad for him. Unfortunately, I give in to the temptation to hate him instead...that's not defensive driving either! Gita do better there.

Here's some RV-specific defensive driving tips:

http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/rv-handling.php
Old 04-17-2016, 07:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I would love a bumper sticker that said,"If you are so important that you need to use the phone while in the car, why are you not in a chauffeur driven limo?"
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
When I was still working for the US Government, I was required to take a National Safety Council approved defensive driving course every three years. Didn't cost me anything— since it was required for the job, the Government paid for it. But now that I'm retired, I think it's worth paying the fee to continue the trend.

Number-one rule of defensive driving— although it's never stated so succinctly in the training— is this: Never put yourself in a position where the only thing keeping you out of an accident is the other driver's skill behind the wheel. Everything else is just tips on how to do that.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Watch out for semi trucks too.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:11 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Good thread, Steve. I know exactly what you mean. Even though we are not anywhere near an Interstate Highway here in Santa Rosa Beach, we are wrought with bad driving. Being that we are primarily a tourist community, not only are we dealing with texting while driving. We have the added distractions of vehicles filled with anxious children excited about going to the beach. As if these are not enough, we also need to consider that fact that the majority of these drivers are lost.

Going out into this mayhem makes me a better driver in that I have come to assume that stupid driving is the norm. I try never to be in a hurry and be conscious of my surroundings at all times.

When we head out on the open road with the Airstream, I try to apply these same driving rules. On these long trips, we avoid traveling on the Interstates whenever possible. We now take the back roads and drive through the small towns. The Interstates have become somewhat scary for me towing a large trailer. It seems like that if you want to drive 65 mph, you are impeding traffic flow. I am always watching for someone coming up on me really fast while doing something stupid.

My lifelong driving style is predicated by the fact that when I was a much younger man I spent several years as a motorcycle police officer. This experience made made a super observant driver as anyone who has ever spent time riding a motorcycle knows. Even though I had this experience long before the advent of texting, there were still many distractions that resulted in very stupid driving. The only difference between then and now is, then I could do something about it.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:21 AM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Second rule of defensive driving: Stupidity always has the right-of-way!

But giving up the right of way to get out of the way of stupid drivers has a downside, too, for the other driver. Those stupid drivers never get a chance to learn just how dangerous they really are, because better drivers clear the way for them. Sometimes they need a really close call to wake them up, but we don't have to be the ones to give it to them; let another stupid driver do it.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
As a motorcyclist, I learned long ago to drive like I'm invisible. That is, I assume that nobody sees me and I drive accordingly. I adjust my speed so that I'm free and clear of clusters of other vehicles whenever possible. I know what I'm doing but don't have any confidence in the other drivers, so avoid them. I apply this tactic to all of my driving. Distracted driving is illegal in my Province but there are still self-important types who feel the law doesn't apply to them (if you're visiting BC, keep your phone in your pocket). These people don't seem to realize how their actions could ruin the lives of others, all because they couldn't wait to answer a call or send a text until they are off the road.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Time spent on a motorcycle or bicycle teaches you that you're solely responsible for your own safety. Right of way is irrelevant.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Third rule of defensive driving: Know the limits of your own skill. Most of us aren't nearly as good behind the wheel as we think we are.

Corollary: Improve your limits in training, not on the road. When you're on the road, stay within your own capabilities.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
I complain to my wife all the time about the driving capabilities of others. If you pass 10 cars on the highway its certain that 7 of the 10 will have one hand on the wheel and the other holding their cell phone.
I've hauled trailers of all shapes and sizes since I was able to reach the foot pedals.
I've been riding motorcycles for years.
Therefore I understand that people hauling trailers can't stop on a dime or sometimes they need help getting in the flow of traffic. I've been there and I'm sure all of you have too!
We have almost been in multiple accidents due to fellow motorist just simply not paying attention to the roads ahead or behind them.
After the last time a teenage kid cut me off before a red light in a compact car sending me off the road with my brake on both trailer and truck fully engaged I nearly lost it. Partly due to the fact once I got stopped and ensured my wife and fur kids were OK, I look over at the kid that cut me off and he flipped me the number one salute. When the light turn green he quickly sped away as I was desperately trying to exit my vehicle which would not have ended well.

After that very trip I installed a train horn to my already installed on-board air compressor. Now when someone is on their cell easing over into my lane I can quickly get their attention! I cannot count the times I have made them drop their cell and put both hands on the wheel desperately trying to regain focus of their surroundings.
No, I don't agree that my horn is the right thing to due but at times only me being defensive isn't enough and that is when the horn comes into effect.
My wife was against it at first, but now after seeing it in action a few times she's quick to say "baby give them the big horn!"
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
What we really need to do for improved safety in this new era is to start training our new drivers on effective skills for successful texting while driving.

Just like the classic "Just Say No" campaign that stopped teenage drug abuse, we need a slogan that crystallizes the issue and teaches how to prevent texting accidents.

I think either "Remember, Look Up Every Two Characters", or "Learn To Steer With Your Knees" would be good.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Having driven big trucks for 48 Plus years I have seen most of it. In all our travels we haven't had any problems...we drive 60-65 , in the right lane and we aren't changing lanes unless we have to, use signal lights ahead of time...I do see the rv accidents caused by the rv driver changing lanes and driving faster than they can think, slow down and enjoy the ride...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Great thread. Appreciate the tips, especially as I am new to towing.

I've learned to:

1) Slow down
2) Leave a gap
3) Stay out of Miami
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
What we really need to do for improved safety in this new era is to start training our new drivers on effective skills for successful texting while driving.

Just like the classic "Just Say No" campaign that stopped teenage drug abuse, we need a slogan that crystallizes the issue and teaches how to prevent texting accidents.

I think either "Remember, Look Up Every Two Characters", or "Learn To Steer With Your Knees" would be good.
Finally a sensible solution. You should run for president!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Taking on my new school bus driving job, I had to undergo a defensive driving course, and it's assessed and renewed every couple of years. The big lesson I learned was that you must make way for other people's mistakes. It doesn't matter how hideous the other guy's driving, you should always drive in a manner to avoid them, every single time. It takes a bit practice to get out of the bad habit of trying to "punish" someone for cutting you up or pulling out in front of you, but once you get it, you just let that a*hole get on with it and drive on safe in the knowledge that you were in the right. Driving with such a precious cargo, you have no option but to give way to idiots.

Years of riding a motorcycle also contributes to a better mindset when out on the road; your trailer might not be invisible but you have to drive like it is.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile defensive driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Having driven big trucks for 48 Plus years I have seen most of it. In all our travels we haven't had any problems...we drive 60-65 , in the right lane and we aren't changing lanes unless we have to, use signal lights ahead of time...I do see the rv accidents caused by the rv driver changing lanes and driving faster than they can think, slow down and enjoy the ride...
I agree with you as I have owned 18 wheelers and my oldest son still drives them. What he says that 4 wheelers and cellphone users cause majority of accidents. The feds say same thing but tree huggers all blame big trucks and ambulance chasing lawyers do same thing. Yes there are a few bad big truck drivers. My son has 2 non chargeable accidents, one when car turned left on 4 lane with no room to do so got t boned kept rite on going onto inter state never seen again, luckily son was bob tail, local pd didn't even want to make report. Second in construction zone in go ahead lane and young kid zoomed up in left lane no room because of barricades, went under trailer behind tractor [crunch time] and this was below posted limits. No fault to son, other driver went to jail after release from hospital. Little long but remember leave room and use turn signals
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
When towing or not I assume every other driver on the road is a complete psychopathic idiot and is out to kill me. My answer to that I give absolute 100% Right of way to one and all. I just completed a 2500 mile incident free round trip and that outlook saved my bacon numerous times.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I try to drive defensively, and I must be somewhat successful at it, still being alive. However, on several occasions, someone has pulled in front of me and jammed on the brakes. Some of the other posters have mentioned that too. I'm sure it would be even worse if I were driving a much heavier vehicle, such as a loaded semi. I'm not sure what I should be doing to avoid that, or if there's anything I really could do, other than get a really loud horn, as was mentioned. I suspect that many drivers who haven't experienced driving a heavy vehicle don't even realize how much longer distance it takes to stop one. My son is a good example. He drives for Uber in his spare time, and was complaining to me about how much space semis leave in front of them, and how he always tries to zip around them to get into that space. I explained to him all the reasons that are obvious to us why truck drivers do that, but being my son, even though he is grown, there is still a tinge of resentment when he feels that I'm trying to correct him, so I'm not sure how much he listens to me when he perceives that is happening.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
McDave - that jamming on the brakes is sometimes a staged accident. Not saying it is or isn't in the case you're describing, but another reason to keep your distance is to defend yourself from scammers. Here are a few examples:

http://www.dmv.org/insurance/how-to-...-accidents.php