Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 06:36 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

Enough pontificating. Here's a link to some simple tips to get started. What do you think?

http://m.wikihow.com/Drive-Defensively
Not to nitpick... ok, maybe I am - but on step #1 I thought 10/2 driving went out the window with the introduction of steering wheel air bags; that it's now 4/8 driving, with thumbs not wrapped around the wheel.

From what I know if in the newer driver's ed, if airbags go off, thumbs gripped usually mean dislocated or broken thumbs; and 10/2 hand positions usually introduce arm injuries as well.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:17 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Not not picking at all. That's why the thread was started. Share your ideas. Thanks for that one!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #83
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
Not to nitpick... ok, maybe I am - but on step #1 I thought 10/2 driving went out the window with the introduction of steering wheel air bags; that it's now 4/8 driving, with thumbs not wrapped around the wheel.

From what I know if in the newer driver's ed, if airbags go off, thumbs gripped usually mean dislocated or broken thumbs; and 10/2 hand positions usually introduce arm injuries as well.
I've never wrapped my thumbs around the wheel, even before airbags. Hitting a pothole and having the wheel jerked out of your hands is a good way to get a thumb injury, too, and when I was a kid I knew someone that happened to. Of course, back then, many cars had steering wheels with metal-core hard plastic rims and solid metal spokes, not like the all-plastic steering wheels you have today.

But as for the 4/8 positioning, you have less control over the wheel there; the 10/2 positioning still provides the best ergonomics for maintaining positive control with least wrist and shoulder strain. I'll risk an arm injury if the airbag goes off, because positive control 99.999% of the time is more important to me than avoiding an injury 0.001% of the time. If 10/2 positioning worries you, split the difference and go with 9/3 positioning; if nothing else that will at least put your thumbs in the right position to work the buttons on the steering wheel.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:59 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our TV has bulges for improved grip at 10 and 2 on the wheel.

Myth busters did a show on airbags vs hands and found, IIRC, no issues
At 10 and 2

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:26 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Our TV has bulges for improved grip at 10 and 2 on the wheel.

Myth busters did a show on airbags vs hands and found, IIRC, no issues
At 10 and 2

Well; in that case. . ..

Never mind!

2011 Airstream International Serenity 28' - 30a/taupe
2013 Ford F150 v6-ecoboost with max tow and HD payload packages
Old 08-25-2016, 06:27 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
It's still good for the discussion! We are all learning all the time. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2016, 06:31 AM   #87
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I don't know about anyone else here, but I never learn anything from being right. I learn from being wrong, and having people tell me why I'm wrong— as opposed to just telling me that I'm wrong.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:15 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I don't know about anyone else here, but I never learn anything from being right. I learn from being wrong, and having people tell me why I'm wrong— as opposed to just telling me that I'm wrong.

The engineer's blessing and curse. Since I started the topic, I'm going to veer off for a sec...

3 guys on death row. One from Harvard Law, one from Yale Divinity, one from MIT. All assigned to the electric chair and sent in that order. First guy is asked if he has any last words. He says - I believe firmly in the law of justice and my innocence will bear witness! They pull the switch - nothing! Taking this as a sign, he is released and presumed innocent.

Second guy's last words: I believe in the divine mercy of the Lord and He will bear witness to my innocence! They pull the switch - nothing again! Once again, this is seen as a sign and he is released, presumed innocent.

MIT guy straps in and for his last words says, you know - if you don't connect those wires to those bolts over there....

😀
Old 08-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Speaking of the Interstate, not metro roads. Left lane is not for travel. Not for overtaking. Only for passing. Period.

Interstates were built with two lanes so one could slow well in advance of the exit ramp (it is a huge driving mistake to do otherwise) and other traffic could continue unimpeded by moving to left lane. My signal coming on .4 of a mile out is the signal to others to change lanes as necessary.

Someone overtaking me at an extra legal speed in the left lane takes his life in his hands as I (or anyone else) moves left to go around someone slowing for an exit. ROW is centered on right lane traffic. All else flows from that.

In the same way, a yield or merge onto the Interstate is wrongly done if it intrudes into the braking distance of traffic present. The IQ-challenged assume that entry below traffic flow speed AND the upper limit is permissible. It isn't if it intrudes and causes slowing, much more, braking. (Never enters their pea brains why the expense of building these long ramps).

Big trucks moving over for other big trucks is purely a courtesy. Not necessary. I blame other drivers for moving over for car traffic and helping foster the illusion among the illiterate majority that the action is correct. It isn't.

Same for changing lanes when someone is on the shoulder. Not necessary. Square of the distance problem, and only then if people are moving around. A few feet make all the difference. (Nothing like having another big truck without warning squeeze into the space between you and another big truck to accomplish this. But the same who'll ignore construction zone limits where the risk is genuine).

Exiting is little different. Ramp speed is always below frontage road speed. This is to have the vehicle back under mild acceleration in entering that road to get slack out of combined rigs and have others tracking straight as well

. ROW is ONLY if one is leading other traffic on that road, legally. If the other car is a half length ahead, the yield by them was proper if technically a tight call.

ROW is an abstract concept. Too much for too many nowadays as they are incapable of abstract reasoning. Deductions and inferences. Why the entrance yield sign has been replaced nationwide with merge. But even that has been in vain.
You're from Texas. You might want to review the Texas Drivers Handbook and DPS citation qualifiers. There is much incorrect with what you've written.

It's wrong to change lanes anytime if you haven't already checked the intended lane for existing traffic and one's own ability to merge without interfering with existing traffic-flow. That's no different than crossing at intersections or any other effort at entering existing traffic.
In fact, in some situations, it's illegal NOT to change lanes to the left when vehicles are stopped on the shoulder, for example when emergency, L.E. and/or rescue vehicles are stopped....otherwise one is required to significantly SLOW your speed (by 20 mph minimum) if the lane change does not meet with lane-change safety.

Exit ramp speed is NOT "always slower" than frontage road speed. It is the same. Furthermore, the exiting traffic HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY over existing frontage road traffic. Slowing for the exit ramp should be done with an eye toward the least impact upon existing interstate traffic flow, with the intent of successfully entering frontage traffic, but frontage traffic always has the obligation to allow exiting traffic to enter. (Many exit ramps have Yield signage reminders for frontage traffic. You will NEVER see a Yield sign for the exiting traffic. THINK about that.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #90
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I'm confused. Didn't you both say basically the same things? One just got more specific than the other. Slowmover assumes common sense and doesn't list rare exceptions to scenarios.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
You're from Texas. You might want to review the Texas Drivers Handbook and DPS citation qualifiers. There is much incorrect with what you've written.

It's wrong to change lanes anytime if you haven't already checked the intended lane for existing traffic and one's own ability to merge without interfering with existing traffic-flow. That's no different than crossing at intersections or any other effort at entering existing traffic.
In fact, in some situations, it's illegal NOT to change lanes to the left when vehicles are stopped on the shoulder, for example when emergency, L.E. and/or rescue vehicles are stopped....otherwise one is required to significantly SLOW your speed (by 20 mph minimum) if the lane change does not meet with lane-change safety.

Exit ramp speed is NOT "always slower" than frontage road speed. It is the same. Furthermore, the exiting traffic HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY over existing frontage road traffic. Slowing for the exit ramp should be done with an eye toward the least impact upon existing interstate traffic flow, with the intent of successfully entering frontage traffic, but frontage traffic always has the obligation to allow exiting traffic to enter. (Many exit ramps have Yield signage reminders for frontage traffic. You will NEVER see a Yield sign for the exiting traffic. THINK about that.)
Moving over for merging traffic is not necessary in most cases. It impedes faster traffic and when the merging car accelerates it prevents the other driver from moving back over. I'm not sure where drivers are taught how to merge but my drivers Ed teacher used to reach over and floor it when I learned to merge. That said, it's not always possible to accelerate quickly enough with the Airstream in tow but I definitely try. 60 is about the minimum speed to attempt a merge and even my V6 grand Cherokee will usually do it.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Speaking of the Interstate, not metro roads. Left lane is not for travel. Not for overtaking. Only for passing. Period.

Might save some heartburn to be aware of regional differences here. I'm sure that in Texas, what you're saying is true, but in California, and some other places I've travelled, it's definitely not. In California, all lanes are for travel. Period. The rule here is to find a lane where traffic is going more or less at your speed, and drive there, or drive in the far left lane if you're going faster than anyone else. People used to argue incessantly about this on a motorcycle forum I used to frequent. I made the same comment I just made above, and they STILL argued about it, so I just gave up. To me, it's like arguing that people in Maine ought to change their accent, so the rest of us can understand what they're saying. They're not going to change it, so if you're going to Maine, learn to adjust.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Might save some heartburn to be aware of regional differences here. I'm sure that in Texas, what you're saying is true, but in California, and some other places I've travelled, it's definitely not. In California, all lanes are for travel. Period. The rule here is to find a lane where traffic is going more or less at your speed, and drive there, or drive in the far left lane if you're going faster than anyone else. People used to argue incessantly about this on a motorcycle forum I used to frequent. I made the same comment I just made above, and they STILL argued about it, so I just gave up. To me, it's like arguing that people in Maine ought to change their accent, so the rest of us can understand what they're saying. They're not going to change it, so if you're going to Maine, learn to adjust.
Tangenting a bit, but that drove me nuts when on work assignment in northern California.... the freeway out of San Francisco (where we stayed) up to Novato (our work location); every day, four lanes, all four going the speed limit exactly... letting people lane change and merge as needed... it was.... stifling to an east coaster...
Old 08-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #94
Rivet Master

When I tell my daughter to drive safely and be careful....she always reminds me ....
"LET THE FOOLS HAVE THE ROAD...WAY AHEAD!" I usually add ..."AND BE PREPARED TO STOP FOR THE ACCIDENT ON THE ROAD AHEAD"!

I'm retired...not ever in a hurry...I don't mind giving up "my space on the road...to an idiot" ....they are well come to it...I don't need to be the first in line...at the same redlight that the idiot waits in ....two car lengths ahead...and I have not endangered others, nor, am I feeling less than privileged that the idiot took my space in the road...welcome to it...just don't kill someone! (That's my philosophy)! Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:18 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Driving defensively against offensive drivers

The real true joy out of driving, after watching some fool weaving through traffic, is to see said fool at the side of the road in a discussion with the local law.

The only thing better is to see the same fool at the side of the road, hood up, trying to put out the fire with bare hands.

Have seen the former quite often, the latter at least once or twice. Hard to avoid smiling and laughing as we motor by in our usual calm fashion.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:21 PM   #96
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
I'm confused. Didn't you both say basically the same things? One just got more specific than the other. Slowmover assumes common sense and doesn't list rare exceptions to scenarios.

Correct.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #97
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post

An inner lane will be preferred, by statute, for passing when in rural areas I'd bet.

Differences are more on signage, and that due to climate, terrain and expected traffic.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:15 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Driving defensively against offensive drivers

It annoys me to no end when a person thinks that the left lane is a place to drive for miles on end at under the speed limit.

Add to this, I don't think the left lane is as safe as the right lane for "casual driving".

In my observation the number one violators are vehicles plated from CA, the number two violators are vehicles plated from TX.

(It used to almost always be a vehicle from one of these two states, but it must be catching on nationwide now)

#JustSayin

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:08 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Yes, I agree, even in California, it's always a good idea to pass on the left. However....often in California all the lanes of traffic will be occupied, and it's safer to just stay in your own lane, which may at times be going faster or slower than the lane to your left. So without really intending to, you end up passing on the right. Another thing that happens more and more frequently, and I suspect not just in California, is that the inside lane is reserved for carpools. Because of that, the inside lane is often going slower than the next lane to the right, since there is no presumption that a person driving in the carpool lane will be going faster than all the other lanes. So traffic in the lane next to the carpool lane will sometimes be passing the traffic in the carpool lane to the right. Or, as also happens, you are in the carpool lane and want to get around someone in front of you who is going slower than you want to go. In that case, you are forced to pass on the right, since there are no more lanes to the left.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote