Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Don't buy Camping World "brand"

They don't stand behind what they have manufactured and branded as "Camping World" products. I had bought replacement towing mirrors. They used to carry the CIPA brand but now have mirrors manufactured in Taiwan under their logo. When the simple plastic clip that attaches the strap to the mirror broke, they could not/would not help me. Can't get a replacement. Sorry, our warranty is only for 90 days, no exchange!

CIPA has a 1 year warranty and you can buy replacement parts. They would have replaced a 2 cent clip for free, but their clips are metal and would not break anyway.

So no more Camping World products for me. As matter of fact, I think I'll just shop online for what I need from now on. And that's my 2 cents!
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Everything I have ever looked at, even when on sale is priced higher at Camping World then other places regular price.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I like to look around Camping World when we come across one, but seldom buy unless it is something we really want and cannot get elsewhere - I always have the feeling they treat RV'ers as suckers and charge over the top for everything.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
buyer beware; shop first and buy later, but where??? CW has the B/L chock locks for about $38.00 and a local RV dealer has them for $80.00; so where would you buy them? Could all this be the CW retail stores vs the catalog sales ? There arn't any CW stores close by so I buy online/phone and they have been very helpful with getting the right item and also returns.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I prefer to always buy locally and while I am willing to pay a "little" more for parts I will not allow myself to be taken advantage of. My preference is to support the little guy and that is why I stay away from places like Walmart and Camping World.

I do not boycott either of these places but purchase there as a last resort. Walmart does have a great price on Lynx Levelers, substantially below any place I have looked. We don't have a Camping World close to us so I can only talk about posted online prices. I agree with a previous post, you can do better most places.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Camping world used to have high end stuff but over the years like any company I guess they are trying to save a buck at the cost of some consumers. I let my membership expire a few years ago, now if I need something I go to my local family owned RV suppy store in La Habra ca. Palm RV Prices are competitive as well.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I love the internet. If I need something I look online to get an estimated price. Then I go to the local stores. I buy local if possible and I do not mind paying a little more to buy local but money is too hard to come by. Camping world, so far to me, is too overpriced for my liking. So far, I have not found anything I needed I could not purchased somewhere else for less.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

I got some really cool washcloths there once....
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Why buy online when you can buy locally (Tarpley in Durango) and keep the money in town?
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
you new what the warranty was when you bought, or should have, buyer beware. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
So no more Camping World products for me. As matter of fact, I think I'll just shop online for what I need from now on. And that's my 2 cents!

I love the brown truck in my driveway. I hate stores, they smell funny.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Just received my order from Camping World today.
Nothing I bought had a Camping World brand on it. I'll keep an eye out for the branded stuff. Thanks for the heads up mojo.
I'm happy with the stuff I got. It feels like Christmas came early!
Shipping was 1/2 price and everything in the order was marked down and on sale.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hattiesburg , Ms
Send a message via AIM to gutsgolf Send a message via Skype™ to gutsgolf
Angry not too keen on them

I have had quite and experience with CW. I bought a TV antenna and an A/C at the same time. Well 5 weeks after install the A/C went out I took it back . They opened up the unit and found a block of styrafoam inside by the blower on top of the A/S as big as a softball. They blamed me for it being there. Why would I even open up the unit on the roof. I was told I could buy another on at cost but that was all they would do. As to the antenna , I am doing a remodel and opened up the area where the coax goes through the roof and found that all that is going through the roof is the little copper center wire, the shielding had been cut back. I will be addressing this with them
"Silver Belle"
AS 16741
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
After a couple of bouts with them trying to figure out our coach and watching them scratch their heads with other rigs, I realized most of them had clue zero. We bailed and never returned.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I consider Camping World a place of opportunity. If the item that I want is on sale, at a good price, I will buy it from them. Usually, they are over priced and people will buy from them just because, at the time, they are a captive audience. So the opportunity works both ways. I also stopped being a member a few years back. I still like to window shop, but go on line before I buy anything. In the stores, I can see if it is well made, junk, or if it won't work for me; Then I can decide if I really want it or not before shopping on line. I can't see, feel, touch, or taste anything on line.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
What is the name of your La Habra RV store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Camping world used to have high end stuff but over the years like any company I guess they are trying to save a buck at the cost of some consumers. I let my membership expire a few years ago, now if I need something I go to my local family owned RV suppy store in La Habra ca. Palm RV Prices are competitive as well.
Can you tell me the name of the RV supply store in La Habra? Thanks, paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:40 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Carrollton , Texas
Between Harbor Freight, Wally Word , Amazon and Ebay you can almost find anything
that CW has and usually at much lower prices. From the first time I walked into a
CW I felt like they were trying to shake me down.
KL's 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Boones Mill , Virginia
I just got a blow out hose for $8.95 at CW. llast year I asked them about solar pwd. party lites, the sales guy was shocked there was such a thing. I found them online for $11.00 approx.. CW has them this year for $20+. just one case in point. a struggling new RV owner has to research all options! the new CW is so convenient here in Roanoke,VA. But I always wonder why everytime I pass there, or go there, there's hundreds of SOB's (you can hardly work your way thru the parking lot) and never any Airstreams...(-:<
Old 11-12-2010, 07:34 AM   #19
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs down Don't buy Camping World "brand"

I pretty much agree with the jist of this thread. I bought a CW tire gauge for
$ 19.95 on sale. It would not hold the pressure reading, and I took it in to CW and they informed me it had a 90 day warranty. Yep, it was made in China with the CW brand on it. Same unit in USA $ 4.00 more and carries lifetime warranty. No more CW Crap for me.
KMP