Old 10-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Does anyone have a ThaneQ-BBQ?

I have a fancy stainless steel table top grill I bought a couple of years ago and I don't like it. While the quality of the carcus is excellent, the burner and valve system is very unsatisfactory. After a couple of uses I had to replace the regulator because it is the only part that is NOT stainless steel and is made of soft pewter type aluminum and the threads stripped. The replacement leaked to the point that it exploded the first time I tried to light it. Thank goodness I had a fire extinquisher close by! After getting another replacement from the manufacturer/US distributer I have never felt safe with it. This last week end just as I was about to take the meat off, the burner made a loud poof noise and hissing noise and the entire fire box was full of flames. The burner is one of those infrared deals that gets to like 1,000 degrees on high in less than five minutes and burns the outside of the meat before a decently thick steak has anywhere near a chance of getting past very rare in the middle no matter how many times you flip the meat when it is on its lowest setting.

After Saturday's explosion of the burner, I think it is time to get a new grill. It's a pitty because the grill really looks great and top notch and goes so well with the Airstream.

Does anyone use one of those Thane Q-BBQ grills? I think they look way cool and wondered if they cook very well. I have considered other grills and know about the Weber Q's and Roadtrips, etc., but I keep thinking those Thane Q's are just neat looking. I know you can't cook on looks; just look at my current grill, but style is one of the reasons we have an Airstream.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I have a fancy stainless steel table top grill I bought a couple of years ago and I don't like it. While the quality of the carcus is excellent, the burner and valve system is very unsatisfactory. After a couple of uses I had to replace the regulator because it is the only part that is NOT stainless steel and is made of soft pewter type aluminum and the threads stripped. The replacement leaked to the point that it exploded the first time I tried to light it. Thank goodness I had a fire extinquisher close by! After getting another replacement from the manufacturer/US distributer I have never felt safe with it. This last week end just as I was about to take the meat off, the burner made a loud poof noise and hissing noise and the entire fire box was full of flames. The burner is one of those infrared deals that gets to like 1,000 degrees on high in less than five minutes and burns the outside of the meat before a decently thick steak has anywhere near a chance of getting past very rare in the middle no matter how many times you flip the meat when it is on its lowest setting.

After Saturday's explosion of the burner, I think it is time to get a new grill. It's a pitty because the grill really looks great and top notch and goes so well with the Airstream.

Does anyone use one of those Thane Q-BBQ grills? I think they look way cool and wondered if they cook very well. I have considered other grills and know about the Weber Q's and Roadtrips, etc., but I keep thinking those Thane Q's are just neat looking. I know you can't cook on looks; just look at my current grill, but style is one of the reasons we have an Airstream.
Check out West Marine for Stainless Steel Bar-B-Q-Grills, I have had one on the Aft rail of my Sailboat for years, survived Katrina even with the boat totaled.

Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:54 PM   #3
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Those are some really nice grills. I may have to take a closer look.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-06-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Are there any other good grills out there? Being the end of the season they may come on sale if it's not too late. Considering my last foray into expensive grills, I want to hold off on something like those recommended by Jim Clark...they are nice though.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-07-2006, 05:22 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Searching for best portable grill

about.com has reviewed the Thane (manf.'s site says "discontinued)
http://bbq.about.com/od/portablegril...apr060704a.htm

It is not gas but this is something new(?) & looks interesting:
http://www.cobbq.com/

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Concerning grills and outdoor cooking, you can find a lengthy thread on this forum using the search tool on the menu bar above. Many posters shared their favorites for outdoor cooking when Airstreaming. Their comments may point you to some grills you haven't yet considered. Happy cooking! ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote